hhgregg - Promised diamonds, got charcoal | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for hhgregg

"Promised diamonds, got charcoal"

Current Employee - Warehouse Associate in Chicago, IL
Current Employee - Warehouse Associate in Chicago, IL

I have been working at hhgregg full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- The discount program is AWESOME
- Depending on the store, the staff is great to work for

Cons

- Hours are inconsistent and LONG
- Upper management run on "do as I say, not as I do"
- The draw system is ridiculous. I was moved from TVs to computers because I was "promised" the business was going to be crazy good there. Ended up being a total graveyard. Accrued $1800 in draw over three months.
- The hourly staff gets almost zero respect or gratitude

Advice to Management

- Try to avoid lying to employees
- If you want to succeed, do a better job of vetting management candidates
- Appreciate the hourly workers. They keep the store running.

Other Employee Reviews for hhgregg

"missing me"

Current Employee - Appliance Sales in Dayton, OH
    Current Employee - Appliance Sales in Dayton, OH

I have been working at hhgregg full-time (More than a year)

Pros

great discount unless it is already on sales under cost then you have to pay more than the customer.
    I love my co-workers.

Cons

I do not feel appreciated or that my life matters. This year we watched a video where Dennis May told us to enjoy the holidays with our families....apparently he is not aware that our holiday schedules from Thanksgiving to the first of the year is 45-63 hours a week. I don't mind hard work but I want to feel appreciated.

I often have to chase my check, meaning I often do not get paid correctly on closeout and scratch and dent pieces even when I ring it up exactley the way I am supposed to. I have to go through my commission report and make sure each ticket paid me correctly then when I find a mistake I have to go plead my case to a manager who then has to file a fileback on the Monday before payday after 11am if you or them remember. This year alone I have about $300 in filebacks none of which counted towards my draw.

Advice to Management

In the year I have been there I have seen 3 electronic managers and 3 general managers some consistency would be nice in management and policies. Better training for new managers their is no reason I should have to explain a policy or procedure to a member of management.

"Life as a manager at hhgregg"

Former Employee - Sales Manager in North Riverside, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in North Riverside, IL

I worked at hhgregg full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Manager experience to put on my resume

Cons

*underpaid compared to comparable managerment postions in retail
    *bonuses are unattainable goals are unrealistic
    * boring work enviroment
    *pos system is old
    *very lean company which means more work for employees
    * MITs are hired from the outside rarely promote from within
    * long hours even for retail
    *Schedules are made from corporate and are the same for every store regardless of how much traffic individuals stores might have
    * Upper management all former Sears employees and are running the company like Sears
    *Zero work/life balance
    * store set ups are changed every other week
    * deliverys are done by a third party and cause problems every day
    * as a manager 85% of your 12 hour day is taking care of customer issues (lots of issues)
    *customers that buy service plans bought from hhgregg still have to contact the manufactuer to repair their product
    * Managers in training are hired by the truck load ( there are only so many stores and so many positions to fill) so you could be in training for months and when you do get a position it could be hours from your home.
    *Diversity in upper management isnt there
    * ops leads severly underpaid for the work they have to do
    *managers come and go weekly

Good job if you have no life and dont mind living at the store. You can become a general manager if you don't mind being relocatable out of state and ignore life outside hhgregg. God bless and good luck to those who work at hhgregg. Very dedicated and underappreciated working as a manager for this company.

Advice to Management

re evaluate the managers you have in your store. Help managers understand how to bonus. Create business plans according to each stores needs not a generic plan used by every store. Create a team enviroment in each store. Change store management structure. work on employee retention turnover is the worst Ive seen in 12 years of retail. 15-18 million dollar stores but managers salary are between 40k-44k???