hhgregg - The upper management only care about themselves | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for hhgregg

"The upper management only care about themselves"

Current Employee - Warehouse Associate in Nashville, TN
Current Employee - Warehouse Associate in Nashville, TN

I have been working at hhgregg full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The sales staff really do care about their customers

Cons

Underpaid......I do everything that operations lead does and have been for two years. I have one manager that respects me. The others don't care. Our regional manager doesn't care. I expressed the way I felt about my pay all he said was I have to take what I get and be happy. We opened at 10pm thanksgiving night I worked all the way thru and my manager took 5 hours out of time I worked because I had overtime. LAWSUIT COMING SOON

Advice to Management

Start caring about the employees WE GET YOU GUYS PAID

Other Employee Reviews for hhgregg

"Disappointing! Worst retailer I've worked for in 30 years of retail"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Raleigh, NC

I worked at hhgregg full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Employee discount. nothing else good.

Cons

Management doesnt care about associates what so ever. Dishohnest management encouraged by corporate. Rules change constantly.

Advice to Management

Treat employees like people!

"A Bland and Uncreative Place to Work"

Former Employee - Appliance Sales in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Appliance Sales in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at hhgregg full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I never used it but heard the employee discount was good. Other than that, occasionally you got to see or meet professional athletes, either from walk-ins or at special events. If you're a social person and like to be around people and love to talk it up, this company may have a place for you. Some of the salespeople earned good checks, but they've been doing it for 10 or 15 years.

Cons

Let me start out by saying I'm not trying to be negative, and this company has good potential to be great -- if only they were more creative and willing to make changes. In their view, and rightly so, the stores have done well, especially when other competitors like Best Buy or Circuit City, have been hurting financially.

First and foremost, it is a "commissioned-based" salary for its salespeople. This needs to go away -- especially for those stores that pack the floor with way too many salespeople. True, you do get paid minimum wage, but only as a loan. By law, a retailer has to pay its employees minimum wage. But here's the work-around: If you don't earn in commissions more than that, you'll end up paying it back from the draw on your next commissions. The way the store is set up, the products they sell have low profit margin, and you only earn 1 percent from the volume. They constantly run deals, and customers who come in seemingly expect your to knock down the price even more. They can haggle you for hours and give you the run-around by making your check prices. So there's no money in it except ... selling the warranty on the products. But to get to the big money in warrant you have to be consistently over 15% of warranty sold every month. It is not that easy.

The company would be better if they paid its employees a flat salary of, say: $25K per year and then 10 percent of all warranty sales. That's it. Get away from 100% commission-based. They would retain more of its employees, and they would be happier. Happier employees, without the constant worry if they will have a good paycheck, will be better employees, in my opinion.

Other cons:
    A). They've trimmed their customer service department by switching over some of the responsibilities to the salespeople. Salespeople have to ring up every order, except during Black Friday events and super-busy holidays. The salespeople are not paid hourly so this helps with the store maximizing their profits with cheap labor, so the store managers can earn bigger bonuses.
    B). An arduous POS system that takes away your time from potential sales. This needs to be improved, upgraded.
    C). Credit applications that can take up to an hour or longer to go through with the customer. You also get numerous phone calls related to credit apps and past orders.
    D). Bland outfits. Red shirts and black slacks everyday. No exceptions. Note: customers don't like it. I don't know how many have told me all they see is a "sea" of red shirts and it makes them turn away. Better idea: Black shirts with tan khakis. Give employees the option to wear that.

Advice to Management

1. Change up the apparel. Black shirts, tan pants.
    2. Two options for salary: A). $25(k) base, 10 percent on the warranty. B). Current commission structure.
    3. Reward and encourage your employees more. Do more fun things.
    4. Better training for new salespeople.