hhgregg - Life as a manager at hhgregg | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for hhgregg

"Life as a manager at hhgregg"

Former Employee - Sales Manager in North Riverside, IL
Former Employee - Sales Manager in North Riverside, IL

I worked at hhgregg full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Manager experience to put on my resume

Cons

*underpaid compared to comparable managerment postions in retail
*bonuses are unattainable goals are unrealistic
* boring work enviroment
*pos system is old
*very lean company which means more work for employees
* MITs are hired from the outside rarely promote from within
* long hours even for retail
*Schedules are made from corporate and are the same for every store regardless of how much traffic individuals stores might have
* Upper management all former Sears employees and are running the company like Sears
*Zero work/life balance
* store set ups are changed every other week
* deliverys are done by a third party and cause problems every day
* as a manager 85% of your 12 hour day is taking care of customer issues (lots of issues)
*customers that buy service plans bought from hhgregg still have to contact the manufactuer to repair their product
* Managers in training are hired by the truck load ( there are only so many stores and so many positions to fill) so you could be in training for months and when you do get a position it could be hours from your home.
*Diversity in upper management isnt there
* ops leads severly underpaid for the work they have to do
*managers come and go weekly

Good job if you have no life and dont mind living at the store. You can become a general manager if you don't mind being relocatable out of state and ignore life outside hhgregg. God bless and good luck to those who work at hhgregg. Very dedicated and underappreciated working as a manager for this company.

Advice to Management

re evaluate the managers you have in your store. Help managers understand how to bonus. Create business plans according to each stores needs not a generic plan used by every store. Create a team enviroment in each store. Change store management structure. work on employee retention turnover is the worst Ive seen in 12 years of retail. 15-18 million dollar stores but managers salary are between 40k-44k???

Other Employee Reviews for hhgregg

1. "A good place to move up in"

Former Employee - Customer Service Merchandiser in Naples, FL
    Former Employee - Customer Service Merchandiser in Naples, FL

I worked at hhgregg part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

HHGregg is oconstantly expanding and there are a lot of opportunities to move up. If you have the time to spend, the ability to get along well with others and the drive to move up you could find yourself as a manager in a store. The company is committed to groth and does not discriminate.

Cons

As a CSM or sales person you will fin yourself at the mercy of not only your managers, but countless MITs who probably know less than you about the company. Often you will receive conflicting orders to do things. And some of the managers are fond of micromanaging. If you have a temper when it comes to such behavior, don't work here. You schedule can change often. The stores compete with each other for sales and if you sell to a customer who lives in another store's region they will try to steal your sale. If you are a CSM, you will be taking grief from the customers, managers and the sales people. This is the most stressful job at the stores from what i experienced. There is a constant need to stay on top of orders and you have to be behind the sales people to own their orders because things go out of stock on long term orders. Never forget that the customer is ore important than the sales person that sold the item to them.

Benefits are not so great if you are part time. But full time people have the option of receiving some good benefits.

Advice to Management

Micromanage less. Keep schedules as constant as possible. And make the sales people keep on top of their orders. Just because it will be 4 months until the order is delivered does not mean that they can forget about it or wash their hands of it! CSMs do a lot to keep the orders filled and customers happy, please make sure to thank them sometimes.

"The upper management only care about themselves"

Current Employee - Warehouse Associate in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Warehouse Associate in Nashville, TN

I have been working at hhgregg full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The sales staff really do care about their customers

Cons

Underpaid......I do everything that operations lead does and have been for two years. I have one manager that respects me. The others don't care. Our regional manager doesn't care. I expressed the way I felt about my pay all he said was I have to take what I get and be happy. We opened at 10pm thanksgiving night I worked all the way thru and my manager took 5 hours out of time I worked because I had overtime. LAWSUIT COMING SOON

Advice to Management

Start caring about the employees WE GET YOU GUYS PAID