hhgregg - 50/50 | Glassdoor

"50/50"

Current Employee - Salesman in Daytona Beach, FL
Current Employee - Salesman in Daytona Beach, FL

I have been working at hhgregg full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent money if u work at it. And get a little lucky. Atmosphere is very relaxed. Every item in the store u sell u make commission. During slow weeks u can collect draw so at least u still get paid.

Cons

Commissions are low on most items. U work on an up system rotation. Little chance u will be recommended for advancement. Managers closely monitor Sales percentages and u must perform to minimum company expectations. U must pay back draw and sometimes they take it back all at once. Minimal training versus high expectations and management is more critical than helpful. Long 12hr days and u can't stay punched in for them unless u sell enough product or u will be in draw every time. Even one hr over 40 makes the entire 40+ overtime pay.

Advice to Management

Give people a chance. Seek to draw talent internally. Accept that sometimes people are just browsing and not everyone can be sold something it's not always the salesmanship.

Other Employee Reviews for hhgregg

"Great people, not alot of career growth"

Pros

Great people work with. thats all

Cons

Hourly wage compared to the amount of workload

Advice to Management

Pay better.

"Unless you need the money and can not find a job somewhere else do not work here."

Former Employee - Warehouse Associate
    Former Employee - Warehouse Associate

I worked at hhgregg (More than a year)

Pros

Working with my fellow employees. I didn't mind the majority of the work assigned to me.

Cons

Management. I worked 2 1/2 years at the same store and went through 3 General managers. The 4th and current GM was just as bad or worse then the rest. The best manager there wasn't even a manager yet. He was a Manager in Training.

Salespeople. Most of the salespeople were very nice and I did enjoy their company but they would not always do their jobs and Warehouse and Cashiers would end up doing it. If you had good managers that would not happen.

Cashiers. Again fun to work with but did not have enough of them so when they went on lunch warehouse would fill in for them. Since we were not fully trained on how to handle those situations it was a problem. If there was a problem we would have to fend for ourselves and management would not help us.

All in all it came down to poor management. The last thing I will say is if Managers from your store, Regional Managers, or District Managers promise you a reward, pay raise, etc. make sure you ask them every week what the status is of the promised reward, pay raise, etc. If you do not then you will most likely not see it for quite sometime.

If I were to sit down and really think about all the things that happened then this review would be a lot longer.

Advice to Management

Take into account what your employees are saying.
    If you say you are going to do something for an employee then do it right away because if you do not then you will forget and it will never happen again.