hhgregg - Work Hard, Sell Hard, Get Paid | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for hhgregg

"Work Hard, Sell Hard, Get Paid"

Former Employee - Sales Associate
Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at hhgregg full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's been a few years since I've been with the company, but overall I learned a lot from the experience. Most of the my fellow coworkers were enjoyable to be around, and it was pretty easy to minimize the time spent with the ones that weren't. The same could be said for the customers. Being a commission/draw-based position, expect to make a lot of money during prime retail months and events, and hope things don't dry up too much outside of those times. If you really want to succeed at selling, know your product inside and out. I think the company supports that as much as they can, but it never hurts to know even more than what they expect.

Cons

Like any other retail position, expect longer hours during the peak holiday season and the occasional customer who expects you to spend an hour with them, and then grinds you and the prices down to where you're basically making nothing at all. Sometimes the management helped with those cases, but other times they submit to the customer just for the sale's sake. Kind of a double-edged sword there I guess. At first our store seemed to be a revolving door of managers, which didn't help much with stability, but we eventually got a manager that really meant business and the whole staff benefited from that. Our store was located in a lower-income area with multiple competitors (whose isn't nowadays?), but too often we ran into "he said, she said", customers making their own impossible prices, or people willing to buy that day, but failing credit apps. Still, I believe there is success to be had if you are of the right mindset and have supportive and hungry managers. Certainly wouldn't hurt to work in a higher-traffic store as well.

Other Employee Reviews for hhgregg

"Trying to be Sears Jr."

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at hhgregg full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Training, learning how to negotiate.

Cons

Have managers instead of leaders. Micro managing. Lots and Lots of hours. A few Associates make decent money, where as most barely make enough to stay out of draw.

Advice to Management

Go back to the core values that made this company. Forget about being a smaller Sears. Treat all employees as assets to the company. When reviewing stores, review the performance of the Region against past performance. If it has dropped, look at senior management to understand why. As a VP once said" Change your people or change your people".

"Long hours, little family life"

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at hhgregg full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good employee purchase plan (at cost).

Cons

Long hours, 50-60+ hours during Christmas holidays. No chance to advance, since the now hire management from outside company. Commissions have been lowered, since they can change the landed price on items when ever they want. You can make money if you sell protection policies, but the have raise the amount you have to sell per week to top out and make the most money.

Advice to Management

Pay employees what they are worth