hhgregg - Always a learning experience | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for hhgregg

"Always a learning experience"

Current Employee - Customer Service Merchandiser in Matthews, NC
Current Employee - Customer Service Merchandiser in Matthews, NC

I have been working at hhgregg full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I love interacting with the customers.

Cons

I have to work nights and weekends.

Advice to Management

n/a

Other Employee Reviews for hhgregg

1. "Decent Money"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Joliet, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Joliet, IL

I have been working at hhgregg full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They send me and my wife on a free trip every year. This year is Jamaica for a week. All expenses paid. My first year there I made $72,000 and I am on pace to make a lot more this year. They also allow me to work any hours or days I choose.

Cons

If you are looking to be "promoted"to management, be prepared to take a huge pay cut. Managers will only make 45-75k but will work twice the hours I will work

Advice to Management

Hope your at a good store, so you can bonus every month.

"Started out good turned into nightmare"

Former Employee - Home Theater Sales in Knoxville, TN
    Former Employee - Home Theater Sales in Knoxville, TN

I worked at hhgregg full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Can make decent money, ok health insurance, 401k. Most of my fellow employeeswere grat people to work with

Cons

When I started out with it was a decent, family run company that cared about its employees.In late 2006, the company went public and conditions for its employees gradually began to detiorate.At the begginning of 2008 with the installation of the current ceo and the onset of high unemployment, the company began to ruthlessly to extract as much free labor from the employees as they could.They changed the commission system so it was much harder to make money. They also changed the draw vs commission structure so that you were paid minimum wage per hour. If they if you worked one minute over 40 hours you were paid time and half for all the hours worked. During the busy season it was easy tomake more than this and stay out of draw.Around the same time, they also began to institute mandatory overtime where management ( working on a staggered schedule) would force employees to typically work 2 to 3 hours after the close of the store (sometimes longer) on top of the 10 to 12 hour shift already worked.So that employees wouldn't go into draw, the managers would tell the employees to only stay clocked in for 40 hours aweek out of your 50 to 60 hour work week so all that extra time was free to the company. To cover their backs, each employee was forced to sign a statement attesting that they worked 40 hours.
    When it was a family run co., the management would use positive reinforcement to genuinely get the sales people excited about selling.With the onset of the new regime, they used fear of being fired to try and motivate employees.The management from top down became disrespectful and obnoxious to the employees so the turnover rate became very high.

Advice to Management

You can't give advice to sociopaths.