hibu - It's a roll of the dice... | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for hibu

"It's a roll of the dice..."

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Baltimore, MD
Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Baltimore, MD

I worked at hibu full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great brand that has history in the market.
Laptop, and training are great perks as well.
Depending on location great leadership.

Cons

An aged business model that allows for short term success but no real future.
Dated product and pricing structure makes it a "mission impossible" to contend in market.
Fine print when leaving company, leaves a bad taste to an overall good experience.

Advice to Management

Salary, salary, salary. Very aged comp plan needs to be updated to attract and retain top talent.

Other Employee Reviews for hibu

1. "Yellowbook is fun and extremely fast paced"

Former Employee - Media Consultant in Albuquerque, NM
    Former Employee - Media Consultant in Albuquerque, NM

I worked at hibu full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of freedom. Base salary plus commission and bonuses and full benefits. Constant contests to win money or prizes/

Cons

Lots of travel, high stress, less people to sell too as more and more are under the belief that "print " advertizing is dead. They will also let you go without any warning or write ups if your numbers start to fall.

Advice to Management

Pay special attention to the attitude and overall personality of the team before transferring in a new manager. We had a great, productive, strong team until our current manager got transferred. They sent us a yuppie from California who had never managed experienced reps before and it was obvious. He demoralized the team, laid off the core players and made it the most un- fun and dreadful place. Those that weren'[t laid off all quit shortly after. It was so sad.

2. "A great job with great people, in an atmosphere of fear and hopelessness."

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Cedar Rapids, IA
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Cedar Rapids, IA

I worked at hibu full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Yellowbook is a great place to work in many ways. It has great people and a real team mentality among co-workers, with great opportunities for learning and cross training. The work is fun, challenging, and rewarding. My direct managers were all good people and willing to help in any way they could. Higher management was friendly and helpful, but of limited influence with the company as a whole.

Cons

The atmosphere is always laced with fear of when the next round of layoffs would come, or the next re-org would leave you working on projects that were of no interest to you. The lack of any sort of loyalty to long-time employees (even ones with good skills) left no doubt that eventually you would be let go, it was just a matter of when - there was no hope for this being a long-term career, most people with 10+ years at the company were laid off. After-hours work when on call was brutal, up every night for multiple hours, often to spin your wheels waiting for another person (who often did not get up and respond to their page) to do something so you could do your portion of the work. No compensation for extra time spent on call meant that two weeks later you were often still feeling the effects physically.

Advice to Management

I am seeing good people leaving left and right. I don't blame them, when they see co-workers with good skills and good records being let go with no warning and no remorse. It's going to be hard to keep people's morale up when your best people are leaving like the proverbial rats on a sinking ship and you have already laid off all of their competent co-workers. I wish you all luck.