hibu - Door to Door Salesman Pitching Overpriced Advertising, Nothing More | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for hibu

"Door to Door Salesman Pitching Overpriced Advertising, Nothing More"

Former Employee - Client Services Representative in Dallas, TX
Former Employee - Client Services Representative in Dallas, TX

I worked at hibu full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Sales Training was a learning experience. Motivated trainers who believe in their products. Encouragement from managment and friendly co-workers.There is one catch. This is sales and you have to produce from DAY ONE out of training.

Cons

There are many: Micromangement, Long hours and far travel within so-called territories. I drove 2 hours a day just to and from my territory. Company trying to reinvent itself as an internet company and rolling out new products weekly out of product launch meetings and being expected to cold call door to door THAT DAY, regardless if you if "actually" had a new prospect meet and greet presentation.
The accounts I had that were either deliquent and was expected to not only be a sales rep but a collections agent on top of that, meaning I was expected to renew and upsell an account regardless of past history. Most of the leads or revenues I called on, I was either hung up on or was insulted because previous rep was unethical and sold products the client did not benefit from.

Regional Sales Directors who flew in to train staff and "Launch new products" were nothing more than cheap used car salesman that would pitch any product to anyone and smile while they were doing it.

I could go on, but if you have morals and ethics: The cram it down their throat, breath down their necks to make a sale is not for you.
We all learn from experience and I am glad I learned very quickly door to door sales is not for me.

Company is bankrupt and will be out of business shortly. If your wise I would stay away and look for a sales opportunity that has potential.

Advice to Management

The print pages are a dying breed in urban markets and still productive in rural markets. Your internet products are overpriced, cheaply designed and cannot compete with already established competitors offering superior products for cheaper. I would reccommend for the good managment and employees to get out before your days are numbered and the company goes under which will be soon.

Other Employee Reviews for hibu

1. "Efforts Equals Income"

Current Employee - Client Services Consultant in Chantilly, VA
    Current Employee - Client Services Consultant in Chantilly, VA

I have been working at hibu full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The initial training is very in-depth. The skills learned will benefit you ongoing. Hibu taught me to understand the sales cycle from start to finish. Once you land in your local office the support / expertise continues. The wide and diverse product offering has led to a culture of experts. I was able to in a sense “barter the relationship” to someone with in-depth knowledge. The product offing was excepted in the market place. The company provided me a tablet, 4G and sale collateral. New management has completely changed the environment for the better.

Cons

My tablet at times was unresponsive….very frustrating. I would have to call IT to rescue me. The company had a social media product that I would have like to see be more in-depth and client friendly. No marketing for the new brand.

"Very sad and stressful"

Current Employee - Media Consultant in Sarasota, FL
    Current Employee - Media Consultant in Sarasota, FL

I have been working at hibu full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've met some really great people. The three week training class was motivating. I still communicate with many of the individuals that were in my training class. It is possible to be successful but your odds are very small. 3 out of 34 reps i my office made their sales plan last year. So it's not impossible it is just unlikely. If you do make your sales goal bonuses are great. One woman received a $10,000 bonus last quarter.

Cons

This job was a real disappointment. I was so excited after training to start in my home office. That's when everything went down hill. What you learn in training is not useful at all. They train mostly on print product which was not a heavy sell at my office. They introduce products without designing them properly. When there are issues or questions you'll be pawned off to multiple sources. You'll be lucky if you actually get an answer. There is a constant threat of being fired. Reps are constantly being written up. The goals are unrealistic. Even if you exceed your goal it is very short lived. The turnover rate is unbelievable. I started in the summer of 2012. There are only 3 people from my training class left in spring of 2013. Droves of new sales people come in to the office three or four at a time. Only to be gone within six months. I wish I'd come to this site before taking the job. It's very hard to find new business. When clients google hibu there is a ton of bad press. I didn't realize the company was in such financial distress until a business prospect told me. It's never discussed at meetings. They have defaulted on their loans. The name change didn't help at all. If anything it has made things worse. Especially after the CEO stated that the name was meaningless. Now 2 of the top us executives have been fired for trying to sell the us division. That is actually what everyone in my office has been praying for. It doesn't look like that will be happening. Now we all received an email stating that many offices will be laying off due to lack of sales. Our manager has been basically threatening everyone since December. We all live in fear that we will lose our jobs. It's terrible. Many have left already. I've seen Eight people leave or be fired in the past two months. They do not provide tools to be successful. They launch new products without giving samples to leave with clients. The tablets they supply you with and systems are horrible and outdated. You can't sell digital advertising to clients when your tablet doesn't even work. When you call technical support you will be on the phone for hours. It is so frustrating when trying to close a client. I've had technical support hang up on me because ether didn't know how to help me. When they remote in to your computer they get booted off and you have to remote them back in. It's a very very very lengthy process. They give wrong information all of the time and don't process orders correctly. Too many products are launched without proper training. We're constantly told to sell products and then pass of the technical work to other companies such as vantiv or American Express reps. These reps have no idea what they're doing either. You will also put a ton of mileage on your vehicle. You drive constantly. Your work day is never 8 hours. Nightly reports must be sent in to your manager. The inforsmtion that they ask you to provide can take an extremely long time to write. Meanwhile a record of what you've done that day is saved on your tablet. Managers are just too lazy to look at that information so you end up doing double work sending it to them. You must send the report after business hours. You're expected to cold call from 9-5. All office work is expected to be completed not during those hours. They constantly give busy work assignments. I would spend hours preping accounts on to have agendas changed. It is impossible to do all of the busy work they ask and sell without working 12-14 hour work days. When I first started I was making my sales plan. I made my plan the first quarter. After that I was given so much busy work it was hard to keep up. The accounts that I had been given had a million issues. I would spend hours trying to fix all of the issues that were handed over to me from previous reps. Clients were very upset and weren't getting good results. It was so frustrating. I literally would spend hours working with clients who were spending $120 a year. I grew my revenue in second quarter by 4%. I was written up and threatened because I missed my new sales goal by 2 sales. The problem was I had sold 3 new business clients for a new magazine they were launching. They didn't get enough advertisers so they canceled the magazine and I lost my new sales. I was so upset then I was written up a few weeks later for missing my goal. I'm currently in the process of looking for a new job. i just hope I am nkt laid off before I find a new job. I've only been written up once and am ranked 11 out of 34 in my office. I can't imagine what my coworkers are going through. If I am ranked 11 out of 34 and have been threatened I can't imagine what some have been told. I wouldn't recommend this company to anyone.

Advice to Management

I feel bad for the management in my office. They really try and have great attitudes. The issue isn't with office managers its with corporate. They are just mislead and mistreated as the sales force!