hibu - Used to be a great place to work but days are likely numbered | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for hibu

"Used to be a great place to work but days are likely numbered"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in King of Prussia, PA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in King of Prussia, PA

I worked at hibu full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Comfortable working environment with casual dress code. Nice coworkers and friendly supportive atmosphere. Creative work spaces and conference rooms. Ability to advance career internally. Many positions allow employees to work remotely. Plenty of time afforded for personal life.

Cons

Not innovative. Poor investments have created an executive carousel. Outdated sales model has too much influence on future. Some business units refuse and resist every opportunity to improve a process. Internal promotions are not rewarded with market value compensation. Product teams have zero respect for development cycles. Too many consultants pushing their own agendas. Constant feeling that your turn to get laid off is around the corner.

Advice to Management

The ability to offer innovative products and processes is crippled by the belief that the existing sales model is a value. It's not and far too many projects have been held hostage because of sales. There's a concept there that could work but some internally philosophies need to be changed.

Other Employee Reviews for hibu

"Be very cautious. Do your research. Facts don't lie."

Current Employee - Account Executive/Media Consultant
    Current Employee - Account Executive/Media Consultant

I have been working at hibu full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

1) you will meet great people that you will work with everyday. I have been here for over five years and I have made some great friends.
    2) it's a sales job so you will be given enough rope, for people with no experience it can be detrimental because of lack of management support.
    3)print is ironically still viable in some markets with good call counts.
    4) AM's can do very well, but those positions aren't hired anymore.

Cons

Where to begin...
    1) There is no clear message on what the big plan is. Every week it tends to change.
    2) With the bank owning the company you don't know if your job is secure- big push for websites, makes me believe we might be sold to the highest bidder.
    3) You are just a number- it's a sales job.( not a negative, but a fact). They make this very clear to you.
    4)There is no care of quality of a sale, they just want you to sell anything to anyone- in many cases not what's good for the customer.
    5) HORRIBLE CLIENT SUPPORT- customer service is a nightmare.
    6)Extremely high turn over. highest I have seen in my 21 year profesional career. The new business model makes it impossible for these new hires to succeed. Bonus's for these new hires are non existent in many cases.
    7) After training I received zero support. My first email was, " I'm sure you have family or friends who own a business; go sell them today"

Advice to Management

Respect what you have before all the good ones leave. Do what's right for the customer, stop pushing reps to sell programs that don't work just to get your numbers.

2. "Great job to start, but couldn't climb out of the hole management put us in"

Former Employee - Publication Manager in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Publication Manager in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at hibu full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The pay was great for journalists, and the office atmosphere was good. It was nice having a cafe downstairs in the building.

Cons

Poor planning and management sunk the magazine division. hibu should never have hired so many field editors or expanded the number of magazines so quickly. The focus should have been on quality from the publication managers, not quantity. Also, a less ridiculous deadline schedule might have helped the PMs out - instead of bunching magazines up into one week, spread them out more. In less than six months we went from "magazines are awesome!" to getting laid off. The new execs hired in March never gave the magazine department a chance.

Advice to Management

Some careful planning instead of gangbusters expansion wold have gone a long way. Profitability isn't the be-all-and-end-all of a product.