iMatrix (California) - High pressure with no benefits | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for iMatrix (California)

"High pressure with no benefits"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Pros

There are quite a few friendly and interesting people to work with. Green Flash brewery is located just two blocks away.

Cons

Health insurance is much more expensive than similar companies. Taking any time off (sick leave or vacation) is strongly discouraged and can even result in termination. Management does not respect employees and voicing any concern can result in a reprimand or termination. Company goals and direction change randomly and as a result the products and services the company offers are poorly thought out, poorly built and often don't fill any real need.

Advice to Management

Employees are an investment not a resource to exploited. Offer better benefits, including better health insurance, paid holidays and vacation/sick time.

Other Employee Reviews for iMatrix (California)

"Where someone can work with high stress with very little reward"

Pros

Good office location. Close to numerous choices for lunch.
    Great office energy. Music is always pumping.
    Great co workers

Cons

Employee benefits. Very expensive.
    Compensation. You can barely afford the benefits.
    Constant fear of being instantly fired for anything.
    Open door policy, is more like being escorted out the door.

2. "Every Opportunity is an Opportunity You Can Take Advantage Of..."

Former Employee - SEO/SEM Account Manager in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - SEO/SEM Account Manager in San Diego, CA

I worked at iMatrix (California) full-time

Pros

-Friends you will have forever based on common goals, challenges, similar age range
    -Culture! Fun events all the time. They really make an effort to get people together
    -Christmas party at end of the year is always amazing!
    -Career opportunities (this one could be put at Cons too)...if you work hard .. you can take advantage and move up fairly quickly.
    -Titles you can put on your resume
    -Rewards/gifts - there were always incentives (not always easily attainable) but there were opp to receive extra Visa cards if you met goal, or prizes, or raffles
    -Casual dress code
    -Not too much micromanaging
    -Loved waking up knowing I didn't hate my job

Cons

I truthfully have nothing horrible to say about iMatrix. I was given an opportunity and I made that opportunity happen by working hard, working ethically, talking to management when needed and voicing the change I would like to see. I was pleasantly surprised to see a some of the changes I voiced were noticed and action was taken. Were all the changes I voiced implemented. NO. Were all my concerns heard? Yes, I was able to voice them. Did the change happen as quick as I wanted? No. Were things changing in the way I wanted? NO...that is why i left. Because I no longer respected the company in the same fashion I did when I first started. With that said, I grew into a better employee capable of surpassing the job duties at hand..which means the job did what it did and what I needed it to do. With the title in hand, I was able to secure a better job with better pay.. but that is ONLY because of the title/experience/ and opportunity that I TOOK UPON MYSELF.

You will find a lot of people complain about how horrible it was or is (many still there oddly) (and I am not denying that at times), or how no one should work there. I will challenge their beliefs and say that they have been given an amazing opportunity based on their abilities - now it is up to them to maximize their potential there and like most others, leave when the time is right. I knew nothing about digital marketing prior to iMatrix, but in the few years I was there I was able to move up in the company fairly quickly and learn everything there is to know to land me amazing interviews.

The truth of the matter is that IT JUST IS WHAT IT IS. If you don't like it, try to change it. If you still don't like it, leave. Make the most of the opportunity, and maximize your work potential and then remove yourself from the situation. Don't complain, and leave too early - your lack of experience and ignorance might fare you a better pay at your next job but you would have short changed yourself into a much fulfilling , higher paying job should you have waited and moved up the ladder. The path is up to you.

Training - I do wish there was more training here. There is minimal training but again, here is where you can complain or you can take action. I studied when I could outside of work because I was truly interested in the field and it only helped me at work and now at my current role.

The cons of working here are realizing that what you want to change ..probably won't ever change to what you want it to (being able to service your clients better, being able to breathe a little more in terms of work load, being able to change the current tasks at hand into actual tasks that matter). This is when you know you've done everything you can but also being wise and removing yourself of the situation if you want more.

If you have 0 to little digital marketing experience and want to land a job in this field for the long term, this is a great opportunity to do just that. It's also a great opp to make lifelong friends, for what it is unique for. Everybody I have talked to have said the iMatrix culture is unique , so Linda Wise I give you much credit for creating such an amazing culture that is hard to be matched.

Does this deny that I often complained too? No. Does this deny that I wish things were different? No. Does this deny the obvious lack of change that needed to occur such as smaller account loads or higher pay for the work we were doing? No. Those are all reasons why I made the decision to leave, however if it was not for the opportunity (and really what I made of it in that opportunity) I wouldn't have been where I am now - which is with a safe, secure and higher paying job! (DOUBLE!!)

Every opportunity is what you make of it!

Advice to Management

Implement the advice given at exit surveys, have more training in house , 401K match , transparency on what the company goals are and what challenges are