iSKY - not bad, not ideal | Glassdoor

"not bad, not ideal"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Laurel, MD
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Laurel, MD

Pros

It offers a fairly flexible schedule and there is an opportunity to make of it what you put in. It requires an entreprenuerial bent and orientation because there is very little mentoring but there is "running room" for new ideas.

Cons

incremental growth and no long-term opportunities. Much of the staff is ill suited for their current roles, much less taking on additional responsibilities. The current client base gets very little value and that has worked for a long time because the clients are fairly unsophisticated and don't have a good sense of what they aren't getting. This is changing quickly.

Advice to Management

focus on future, revamp the entire staff, get rid of IT as a core competency (outsource it) and be prepared to invest

Other Employee Reviews for iSKY

1. "Work life balance like no other company"

I have been working at iSKY full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've been an employee of iSKY for just over a year. iSKY is a medium sized company with a family style organization feel, with an onboarding process which introduces new employees to the work environment that is inviting and well received. Option to work from home which allows for a work life balance that is not seen in many organizations. I would be hard pressed to find another company that offers this type of opportunity.

Cons

Company is still growing and more office space is likely required, but there are discussions to address this and it seems a solution is being put in place, and option to work from home more often has been applied in the short term.

Advice to Management

Keep giving opportunities for employees to grow into bigger roles as we continue to grow. It seems to be working!

2. "Client Services"

I have been working at iSKY full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- The quality of the code produced is amazing and that makes my job in Client Services easier :)

- Every team member is passionate and proud of their work. This is likely because every employee is hand picked for their skill set - not a result of "what is available" in the surrounding market.

-Flexibility - having the option to work from home allows me time to focus on what I need to get done in a setting that isn't distracting ( while sitting in sweats!).

- Working from home as also added about 8-10 hours a week back into my personal time. I don't need to spend time driving, making lunches, coordinating pick ups/drop offs because I am home. When I need a 15minute break I don't roll by "Sally's" desk for a chat -instead I can put a load of laundry in. This saves me time. For someone with a busy family this is invaluable.

- The company vision is clear, we know where we are going and how we are going to get there.

- Extra time off around Christmas - on top of your standard vacation allocation you get an extra 5-7 days off during the holiday season - why?? Because our CEO believes family time / worklife balance is 100% necessary.

Cons

- Timezones. Sometimes its a pro (projects delivered to you before you wake up) other times a con (early morning con calls). As long as you balance your day and plan you can work around this.

- Working from home means a ton of communication over con calls / skype/ webinars. You need to have strong communication skills to do this effectively!

- Benefits could be improved... but we don't pay into them which is nice.

Advice to Management

I would love to have a huge on site meeting annually with all the company team members - likely expensive but would be great fun!

iSKY Response

Oct 18, 2016 – CEO

A full company event would be a fantastic idea! - No promises though! ;) Thank you for all of your candid feedback. I'm thrilled you are enjoying our WFH and work centers. We'll also take a peek at ... More