id Software - Great place to learn | Glassdoor

"Great place to learn"

Pros

Great environment to learn and grow but no clear path for advancement. Always working on the cutting edge but design is very lacking.

Cons

Poor managers. Bad design choices. Few advancement opportunities. Very bad work/life prioritization. Zenimax buyout literally wrecked whatever culture there was.

Advice to Management

The best think management can do is hire people more competent than themselves. Refocus on design and stop focusing on making cutting edge tech. Make cutting edge games by making cutting edge designs that foster fun games.

Other Employee Reviews for id Software

1. "A fun company that treated me well"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at id Software as a contractor

Pros

Great overtime pay. They pay their QA Department some of the best rates around. I can only speak to the QA Department but my coworkers were smart, professional, invested in quality, and a lot of fun to be around.

Cons

Long hours sometimes. I did not work for them during crunch, but I heard repeatedly while I worked there that crunch hours are long. 60 hour weeks with full Saturday shifts for months, and such.

Not much mobility. Very competitive hiring.

"About as good as it gets"

Current Employee - Senior Level Designer in Richardson, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Level Designer in Richardson, TX

I have been working at id Software full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

id is a breath of fresh air after nearly a decade wasted at major publisher and being subject to the idiotic decisions of executives far removed from the development process.

Decisions on the project are made in house by people who've earned their right to make them - both the CD and EP are extremely passionate about making the best possible game that we can. There's no aspirations here to make an interactive movie, no outside execs to swoop in and put their BFF's in charge of ruining the project, no higher ups who haven't played a video game in years - for the first time in forever I can trust that the guys running this show know what they're doing and are committed to making a great GAME (not a movie, not an 'experience', a game)

The talent making the game is world class, everyone is extremely professional and easy going and there's none of the issues the older reviews claim were problems. I just wish I'd come here years ago when I first had the opportunity and didn't waste so much time at a corporate giant.

Dallas isn't as cheap as it used to be but it's a nice, clean, safe city and I can't complain about the compensation which is more than fair.

Cons

The only downside is the tools are still being modernized and while extremely fast in some areas are lacking in others. Don't expect Unreal 4.x functionality but this is an area that's being actively improved on as a high priority.