id Software - Sinking ship | Glassdoor

"Sinking ship"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richardson, TX

I have been working at id Software full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The history of the company and the possibility of working on the next big thing is a powerful draw. The pay is reasonable, and there are still some really good people here trying to make the best of the situation. If you're a strong, self-motivated individual, you'll get a chance to learn a lot and grow more than you would at other companies.

Cons

The upper management. Hands down they are the most incompetant, arrogant, and untrustworthy managers I've ever worked for in over ten years in this industry. They are doing such a horrible job that we've lost over a hundred people, including John Carmack, in the last two years. They're bleeding the company dry of time, money, and talent; before they all bail with their golden parachutes. Zenimax is a patient, ... supportive publisher that takes a hands off approach, which normally would be great, but in this case is allowing the management to waste their time and money. People sit around untasked for weeks or months at a time, until the next publisher demo, so there is lots of time for people to sit around and be nasty to each or play politics to grab whatever favor they can. There is no chance for advancement or career growth, and Zenimax has stopped giving bonuses because the studio consistently fails to deliver. The game itself is re-invented every six months to a year, so there is no foward progress to show for the last two years.

Advice to Management

Zenimax needs to step in and take a hard look at the people they have running the studio. We need drastic changes and real leadership if id software is going to survive into the next generation. To their credit, Zenimax recently installed a corporate "spy" to report to the board about what's going on, but we need real action to confront the challenges we face as a company.

id Software2013-12-12

Other Employee Reviews

1. "QA Tester"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at id Software

Pros

Great environment, good people, and compelling work

Cons

I only wish my contract hadn't ended and I could have worked full time.

id Software2018-01-09
  2. "A fun company that treated me well"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at id Software

Pros

Great overtime pay. They pay their QA Department some of the best rates around. I can only speak to the QA Department but my coworkers were smart, professional, invested in quality, and a lot of fun to be around.

Cons

Long hours sometimes. I did not work for them during crunch, but I heard repeatedly while I worked there that crunch hours are long. 60 hour weeks with full Saturday shifts for months, and such. Not much mobility. Very competitive hiring.

id Software2017-12-02

Discover more reviews about id Software.