kCura - Lots of High Rhetoric But Little Results | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for kCura

"Lots of High Rhetoric But Little Results"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Chicago, IL
Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at kCura full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are a handful of talented people and if you can work with them it is great. There published core values are wonderful.

Cons

The published core values are not practiced. Management of software development is amateurish at best. Quality assurance is more like quality appearance and turnover is very high for very good reason. The only accountable people are those without a hard-on for power.

Advice to Management

Don't bring in people with experience and waste your money by ignoring them.

Other Employee Reviews for kCura

1. "A great place to work, fun, and challenging"

Current Employee - Software Development in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Software Development in Chicago, IL

I have been working at kCura full-time

Pros

Great people, great pay, good work environment, great benefits. The products have incredible potential to help make the world a better place. I think some of the bad reviews are unfounded, as a lot of new employees are straight out of college, and have no reference for comparison. Believe me, I have worked at some horrible places in the past, and this isn't one of them.

Cons

Things sometimes change at the drop of a hat. Sometimes the environment is not necessarily geared toward employees who are married, or commute a long distance, but that has gotten better. They need a longer term vision for the product than just the current release. If developers knew what the plans are for the product from 6 to 24 months out, it would help them plan and design accordingly, and possibly make future development faster. Also, with so many young developers, you need more time for testing, as sometimes a lot of bugs get introduced.

Advice to Management

Share long term detailed product plans with the developers. Do more up-front design and workflow specifications by PM - they should be planning the next release while the current release is being built. And make better use of your senior engineers, they have a lot of experience that sometimes goes to waste. The agile process is good, but needs a few adaptations to really make it work here.

"Bullying is alive and well here"

Current Employee - Developer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Developer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at kCura (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefit program. Good healthcare. Pay is good for entry level for developers, but doesn't keep up with experience.

Cons

I never heard of glassdoor until a few months ago when the whole company was buzzing about it because of our low rating. I didn't get to check out the site until my manager called a meeting "suggesting" that we all go on glassdoor and leave good reviews. I talked to some of my buddies in other departments and it seems to be a company mission to boost the score. I thought about it for awhile and decided that I don't like being bullied into doing something I don't agree with. So here I am, and I'm not going to leave a good review.

I don't know about "cult" but there are definitely a lot of fanboys and fangirls here who have pictures of the CEO on their desk and wear kcura clothes every single day. My biggest problem is that it is a company of bullies. One of the hated sales directors who should have nothing to do with devleopment routinely comes in and orders the developers to stop what their doing and build a completely new feature that nobody ever discussed before because some partner asked for it. Nevermind that it doesn't make sense or that it is impossible to do, just do it "or else". And because he is one of the senior employees, he gets his way and we end up missing deadlines or making the product worse. When he's not forcing us to build silly features into the product, he's bullying us around for using Android devices instead of iPhones. It's so immature.

The product used to be good but I feel like every new version is a litle worse. The only reasons I stay is because the job market is pretty bad and I really like the other members of my team. Management has to go.

Advice to Management

Maybe try improving the company culture and we will come and post good things on our own instead of pressuring us to save your reputation. Keep mangement from other departments out of our hair.