kate spade - Fun and girly | Glassdoor

"Fun and girly"

Former Employee - Sales Associate
Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at kate spade full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Double discount was great. Mostly offered toward shoes and not the handbags. Found that odd since it started with handbags. Wouldn't you want your employees using the brand's bags? Fun environment to work (as long as you like your co-workers) because of the wall paper and colors. Instantly puts you in a great mood to work.

Cons

Commission structure only started one month before I left, pay raises were not given. Company just wanted to open more stores and not reward it's hard working employees. Keeps employees besides management in the dark about upcoming product and company changes. Not very clear on the steps to move up in the company. Did not receive proper coaching to have an advancing career in the company.

Advice to Management

Find a better way to keep employees in the loop and ensure coaching is given to all staff.

Other Employee Reviews for kate spade

1. "fun brand but not a good retail place to work and learn"

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at kate spade part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

great discount
    nice co-workers
    fun and good products

Cons

-bad management
    -doesn't give out a lot of training (just expect you to know everything and work like a machine)
    -hiring too many sales people which is no way to earn money
    -managers need to step up and teach those sales people who only care about their commissions

Advice to Management

hiring new people is good but stop hiring too many

"no pain no gain....actually yes pain no gain...that's it!"

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at kate spade full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Brand & Great Customers!!! Have met lots of customers that are now friends!

Cons

As I said in the heading, the saying no pain no gain is not even applicable......it's more like YES pain and NO gain!!! What I feel like working for Kate Spade.

I would not recommend this company to a friend, and that is so disappointing to me.

Faking it everyday to the customers as to how amazing the brand and product is meanwhile the company behind the scenes it terrible!

I grew up with the brand and it was my dream to work for the company one day and be an ambassador of the brand and that dream has now turned into a living nightmare.

Effort is not rewarded at all and hard work is not recognized.
    Very limited coaching in order to grow or excel, so in result you have no idea what your opportunities are or your strengths.
    Lack of overall investment in the staff by district managers and a huge disconnect with their people and stores.

Human resources and home office are so disconnected from the stores and district managers, they need to have more control of district managers, because most of them are ruining the brand and work environment for everyone working in the stores, and we are the ones sharing this brand with the customers everyday!

Advice to Management

You are losing your best people everyday due to not recognizing their hard work and passion and not paying people what they deserve and overworking them and expecting so much but not giving them the support they need.

Home office, it would be great if you were more connected with the stores, we feel no love from home office!!!
    Think big Act small, is such an amazing company focus but not actually followed.