lululemon - Rampant Inauthenticity and Hypocrisy Due to Unqualified, Immature Management | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for lululemon

"Rampant Inauthenticity and Hypocrisy Due to Unqualified, Immature Management"

Former Employee - Educator in Palo Alto, CA
Former Employee - Educator in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at lululemon part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-free fitness classes
-fun coworkers
-good discount

Cons

-incredibly unqualified and inept managers
-gossip masked as "feedback"
-company "manifesto" lacks substance due to inconsistent implementation
-poor scheduling inhibits intended "work-life balance"
-cult-like atmosphere
-rampant favoritism prevents advancement of more qualified, harder working employees
-strict interaction guidelines and overall policies hinder guest experience
-general lack of professionalism among those in higher positions
-lack of clarity and transparency regarding guidelines for advancement
**if you are in any way educated, mature, or self-assured, RUN.

Advice to Management

Be more in-tune with what's happening in each retail store. Perhaps even clean house and externally hire more qualified store managers. This is a company, not a high school clique.

Other Employee Reviews for lululemon

"worthwhile, however choose your path wisely"

Former Employee - Keyleader
    Former Employee - Keyleader

I worked at lululemon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some of the people at this company are absolutely fantastic individuals and remain some of my closest friends. The focus that is given during your first 6 months here can really help build a strong sense of self and realization of one's goals in life way beyond your time at the company. Especially for the younger staff I worked with the reward of watching their personal growth happen in a relatively short period of time was my most fulfilling memory of my employment here. Meeting and working out with some of the best instructors in my city was also a highlight and the health care package includes complimentary workouts at any studio. I highly advise anyone who thinks they are interested in the company to work for a contract seasonal position to see if it's a good fit.

Cons

The culture is appealing for sure, however over time it can become exhausting, diminished and hypocritical. Being a member of management made longevity here really taxing as you were expected to give 150% of yourself, your time and energy as a base line to be considered a "good employee". The concept of "worklife balance" is spoken of but too often forgotten about. Upper management is very disconnected from what happens at a store level. Don't expect to have much privacy about your life here, you wanting to keep anything private is considered holding you back from your own development. Vacation time or days off are difficult and I found that the only way to have control over my life balance was to have a group of employees that had each other's backs and would barter coverage when needed (I got you if you get me this day). Compensation is hourly with enhancement of team commission for most positions, how well you do depends mostly on the success of the store location and organization of management. At times you will be pressured into incorporating many workouts at many locations all over your city and that at times can be very stressful and tiring. The quality of the product at times was in question and as a team we were told to keep it under wraps- that rode on my conscious and made me question the moral fiber of the company as a whole.

Advice to Management

Overhaul the people who represent management and allow the employees to have more say in the success, culture and moral at their individual stores. Help minimize the public impression of the brand by restricting the founding CEO from making a fool of himself all over the media. Get back to the product standards that built the brand and quit trying to cut corners on quality.

"If you want an excellent example of trying to move up in a company and failing..."

Former Employee - Educator
    Former Employee - Educator

I worked at lululemon part-time (More than a year)

Pros

My coworkers were wonderful people, and free yoga! Personal and professional development was good, though the Landmark Forum is COMPLETELY NUTS.

Cons

Trying to move up in the company. I have 2 higher degrees (BA and MA) in a field that would allow me to move up in any apparel company, and it was my dream to work in HQ at lulu. But for some reason I wasn't able. I financed a trip myself to canada and visited/shadowed the team I wanted to eventually be on, networked, sent emails, communicated with my store manager, applied to the position I wanted, etc. I was part time at lulu & had a 2nd job relevant to my eventual dream job, but always expressed a desire to become full time at lulu on the store level in an effort to eventually move up to my dream job there. After a year and a half in this situation, I couldn't even even achieve full time status in the store; in fact, there were newer employees than I that were given full time status before me. I GAVE UP and now work in HQ at a different apparel company. Looking back, it's hard to fight the feeling that I wasted a year and a half working there for nothing...

Advice to Management

Hear the needs of the educator: this is THEIR JOB. The store is not your castle and this isn't serfdom. You owe them more than 1 shift a week. Support them in their goals, ESPECIALLY if they want to work up in the company and ESPECIALLY if they are excessively qualified. If you promote someone with less seniority, give feedback to others who were interested in that were not promoted on why they weren't and what they can do to get the promotion-- and then live up to what you say. My management team were wonderful people outside of the store, but there were flaws in the workplace.