uShip - Poor leadership, high turnover | Glassdoor

"Poor leadership, high turnover"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Austin, TX

I have been working at uShip full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

"Open" vacation policy limited to 3 weeks Free meals are great, but they feel the need to warn everyone on a Slack channel when the health inspector arrives.

Cons

There has been a high turnover of employees, including the CEO. This appears to have led them give promotions to those who are not fit to be in leading positions in the engineering department. I have witnessed instances of the engineers being blamed for poor leadership. They also have lower coding standards compared to other places, even from the "senior" engineers. This is not a place to learn from the best.

uShip2019-09-21

Other Employee Reviews

1. "uShip"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative

I worked at uShip full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great office, dogs allowed and lunch made every day!

Cons

There are no cons I can think of.

uShip2019-10-09

"Neverland"

Former Employee - N/A in Austin, TX

I worked at uShip full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

This is a great place for someone who wants to transition into the world of tech. I've witnessed many acts of kindness here between employer and employees, which has made it difficult to post an honest review. But kindness doesn't hold a candle to empowerment as far as long term career advantages go, and uShip fails to empower. This is a great place to marinate for a while if you like a social, party centric... workplace environment with classic startup perks like free lunch and a dog friendly office. If you're looking for a place to just sit back and be content, uShip could be perfect for you. It's like Neverland. Their Halloween parties are great, their office is beautiful, and they have snacks for days.

Cons

uShip fails to compare to other tech companies in the Austin area as far as growth, rewarding work, salary, and perks of any real value go. The company is old school in that it's high ego, and job titles can block game changing ideas from getting to the top. Due to a lack of interest in dedicating resources toward market research and competitive analysis, the company is unfortunately not a leader in it's space. The... culture creates an environment that rewards those who are driven by drinking games and pub crawls above those who are driven by hard work and innovation. It's strange, really. And I didn't realize how strange it was until I left. Pro tip to anyone looking to join uShip: Ask yourself where you want to be in your career, and what type of work environment is going to help you get there. Pro tip to anyone looking to leave uShip: Do some research and realize your true worth before you mention your salary to a future employer. Chances are that it could (and should) double.

Advice to Management

I'm not really sure who's in management anymore. I heard they just lost another CEO. To whoever is still there, I'd recommend that you kill the egos and start getting innovative to do what you can to save the company. There are some great people who still work there, and if you empower them to be the best they can be, you might just be able to turn the ship around.

uShip2019-08-09

Discover more reviews about uShip.