wagamama - General Manager | Glassdoor
  1. "General Manager"

Current Employee - General Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at wagamama full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great company to work for, I have been with Wagamama for over 14 years and still in love with the company values and culture. We have created an atmosphere where our staff wants to come to work rather than they have to. we win together and we lose together

Cons

As yet we don't have senior managers annual celebration, but it is on the way as we are developing in USA

wagamama2017-06-26
  1. "great pay overall"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at wagamama full-time for less than a year

Pros

great pay overall omg

Cons

nothing i can say but great pay

wagamama2019-03-18

wagamama Response

March 26, 2019

hey! thanks so much for your review! it's so great to hear that you love being part of the wagamama family + we wish you all the best with your journey! wagamama recruitment team :)

2. "They “try” but don’t succeed"

Former Employee - Line Cook in New York, NY

I worked at wagamama full-time

Pros

Co workers ! Best team I’ve worked with . Acted as a family . Still talk and hang out with one another even after all going our separate ways from the company . The company parties we have once in awhile .

Cons

Management! Management! Or lack of management is better to say. Literally didn’t know what they were doing and seemed to wing it every single day. Would work us to death just to save money on hiring new employees . Also there was a major lack of communication to employees. One day there is one set of rules , the next day it’s a new set that you get called out for not knowing meanwhile you weren’t even on that shift... when new change was put into place. Could not have fresh juices from bar while on the line meanwhile we are overworked and consistently under-appreciated. Barely can get water for the line when we ask. Didn’t always get breaks. Didn’t always come in with a restocked station because managers would make people leave to make sure they don’t have to pay them for staying to restock leading to more work on next person. Didn’t always get paid properly. Still missing some money owed. Managers were allowed to go in and change people’s hours next morning even if that wasn’t the manager who worked that shift to know if those hours were accurate or not. Lack of team spirit between front and back of the house. Felt like it was us versus them at times. Management would cut your hours without warning. A number of us got our hours cut and senior sous chef literally told me that it’s with the hopes that they will finally quit to cut down on labor cost . Closed entire East village store with only a few weeks notice to employees. Lots of favoritism based on culture rather than a person’s work ethic. Shady practices like this is what will lead their restaurants to one day only be run by higher ups because nobody else will be working for them. Company going downhill especially Nomad location. On the surface everything seems well but if you check the books I’m sure they are either breaking even or barely making a profit. Lost a lot of money. Does not listen to the advice of employees who have great ideas to make things more efficient and a better work environment. A lot of great people were mistreated by management and no reply from Wagamama upon my comment will make any of this better as I know you guys check your reviews to save face.

Advice to Management

Do best ! Especially in terms of how you treat your employees. Without us, you would not have a restaurant. You need to humble yourselves and realize that. A lot of people work beyond their call of duty to make sure each day runs smoothly for the customers and management takes that for granted. Show some appreciation and most of all respect as we work hard every single day on that line. Listen to employee feedback... not to give a reply that sounds good but to learn and actually take that information and do some good with it. And finally believe in your own motto of Kaizen instead of sticking to raggedy practices that set us back instead of move us forward.

wagamama2019-08-07

wagamama Response

August 8, 2019

hey there thank so much for taking the time to leave your review. whilst it's never nice to hear that we've not given the best experience, it's really important to us that we gather this information so that we can do whatever we can to make improvements + learn more please can you send us some further information to hrqueries@wagamama.com if you have a moment? we hope to hear from you soon wagamama recruitment team

Discover more reviews about wagamama.