xMatters - Once a promising startup, now just another stagnant small company trying to survive | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for xMatters

"Once a promising startup, now just another stagnant small company trying to survive"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA

Pros

* There are some pretty good folks in the company. The support folks are much better than those others that I have worked with. People are quite friendly.
* The product does fit a very nice niche. It complements the big guy's product offerings very well.
* Because the company is small, people can get to do many different type of things and can expand their skill sets.
* Parties are fun. Annual kickoffs are a blast!

Cons

* Company lost in direction. Too many strategic changes. Every couple of quarters, there will be a new pricing and licensing model.
* Trying to be all things to all people. xMatters has done very well in 1 niche market. The obvious choice is to expand into another market. However, xMatters is trying to expand into too many markets at the same time.
* It is a sales driven company. There is nothing wrong with it. But sales would sell stuffs that shouldn't have been and have dragged down the company several times significantly. The entire technical team spent many hours building product features specifically for some customers. Worst yet, xMatters got no money from the work. And those features would not be resellable.
* Management is very stubborn. They think they know it all. They will not listen to any suggestion. They always think they are coaching you. In fact, they are the folks who need coaching.

Advice to Management

The exec team has done a very good job taking the company from nothing to its current state. Kudos to them. However, it is obvious that they are not capable of taking the company to the next level.

Everyone would be better off if the xMatters exec team would hire some experienced folks to take it from here.

Jul 10, 2014 – ceo

It's always disappointing to hear that someone's experience at xMatters was not as enjoyable and it should have been. "A person" and "a company" are not always the right match. xMatters actual... More

Other Employee Reviews for xMatters

"Hard-working, low-ego work environment with a Great culture"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I have been working at xMatters full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This has been my best job in Tech so far. xMatters is on its way up. The company has been around for more than 10 years and has a solid customer base. It also managed to maintain a "startupy" feel that makes working here extremely enjoyable.

What I particularly like about working here:
    - Very talented people that will help bring your skills up - I've always believed in the saying "if you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room", and it's going to be very difficult to be the smartest person in here, or at least it's going to take you a while.
    - Working with the most recent Backend and Frontend technologies.
    - Flexible work from home policy - This was a pain point for a while and has been recently addressed by management.
    - The company is very serious about work/life balance.
    - Working on your own ideas and competing with others in a monthly hackathon.
    - Beer Friday / regular Pub outings / Fully stocked kitchen
    - Amazing central location on Granville and W. Pender with many lunch/happy hour options around.

Cons

xMatters is not active on the Vancouver Tech scene or the Open Source community. The company doesn't host meetups and doesn't participate a lot in the local tech events/conferences.
    This is unfortunate because we have a lot of extremely talented engineers that can contribute positively to the ever-growing Vancouver community.

Advice to Management

Don't compromise on the cultural fit when hiring people as the company grows. There is a great culture at xMatters right now and I'd hate to see that change.

Apr 11, 2017 – ceo

Wow thank you so much for sharing your thoughts on xMatters. You are correct we have been a little shy and preoccupied. We are active in Victoria hosting meet ups, bbq's and the like but we've been... More

"Great Engineering Culture"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I have been working at xMatters full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Really smart and friendly people
    - Work/life balance is better than any company
    - Very customer focused
    - Lots of cool and new technologies being used in new services
    - Focused on removing old features and technical debt (hasn't always been the case)
    - Management takes the time to listen to your concerns
    - Beer Fridays
    - Well stocked kitchen
    - Annual kick off and engineering day

Cons

- Legacy codebase (but thankfully getting replaced with new services)
    - Dev teams and operations teams could spend more time working together

Advice to Management

Invest more in removing of the legacy codebase

Jan 18, 2017 – ceo

Thank you for the updated review it is appreciated. We are kicking off a project called the Bizarro Backlog to cull the areas of our product which seemed like good ideas, but are now clutter. We... More