zulily - Finally stopped making excuses | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for zulily

"Finally stopped making excuses"

I worked at zulily full-time

Pros

Nice people
Looks good on a resume, especially if you're fresh out of college
Occasional legitimate fun
Awesome HR department
Warm PBR on Thursdays

Cons

"The pay is incredibly low," I said when I started. "But it's a start-up. As the company grows, the salaries will too. Besides, the health insurance and paid vacation days are awesome!" And then I started working longer hours, doing more work, week after week, until I was doing twice the normal workload for the same pay. I then went "above and beyond" like I was told I had to do for a raise.... nothing happened.
"We're a start up," they said. "We can't afford to give regular raises," they said, as the company made headlines for its successes and opened up a UK office.
"Well, at least I've still got all this vacation time!" I said, until I realized I couldn't afford to go anywhere and couldn't really leave without screwing over my team. I continued the long work days, taking the occasional day off just to get caught up on errands. "At least I still have awesome health insurance!" I said, until I realized I'd never NEEDED health insurance more in my life because I was so stressed.
Then they made their employees start covering part of the "awesome health insurance," even though the company continued to grow and thrive. Then they worked our sick time into the "paid vacation days." Then I woke up, stopped drinking the kool aid, realized I was working long, hard hours and couldn't even pay my bills...and I moved on to bigger and better things. And unless they get their act together and realize that true success comes from happy, productive people who want to see the company succeed because they feel valued, many qualified people will too.
I hope things have improved since I left, as it has been awhile, but from what I am hearing this is not the case.

Advice to Management

You've got a truly good thing going on... I wish I would have been encouraged to stick around and celebrate it more. I always did my best, but eventually I had to wake up. Value your employees and they will value you.

Other Employee Reviews for zulily

1. "Studio"

Pros

Goal oriented and supportive atmosphere.

Cons

My position was a relatively new one when I started, so there wasn't a set training schedule for the job yet, which meant that for my first week, I was a bit lost and, at times, had to figure out what my job entailed for myself. But completely understandable as it was a new position - the new hires from other departments seemed to have really positive training experiences!

2. "Uk Management ruined the place!"

Former Employee - Administration in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Administration in London, England (UK)

Pros

Nice environment and great people, nice location.. but towards the end the change of management ruined this

Cons

Unfortunately the choice of directors in the UK made this a place that people wanted to work in to a place people wanted to leve!

Advice to Management

Be more selective with recruitment