Emporia State University Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

4.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Michael R. Lane

1. "Graduate Teaching Assistant"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Emporia, KS
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Emporia, KS

I have been working at Emporia State University part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Coworker and supervisors are very nice and an pleasant atmosphere

Cons

My own study time will be cut down

2. "Hornet Nation"

Current Employee - Technology Support Specialist in Emporia, KS
    Current Employee - Technology Support Specialist in Emporia, KS

I have been working at Emporia State University full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent quality school. Good athletics. Adaptable and diverse.

Cons

Low pay. Especially compared to the KC and Wichita Markets that are within driving distance.

"OK Position"

Current Employee - Student Worker
    Current Employee - Student Worker

I have been working at Emporia State University full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- On campus
    - Interesting, varied work.
    - Lots of useful resources
    - Visibility (i.e., people begin to recognize you)
    - Good resume buff, especially for transitioning into another campus dept.

Cons

- People politics and favoritism
    - Pay
    - Location
    - No confidentiality among employees and upper management
    - Lack of transparency on many issues
    - No advancement opportunities
    - A lot of talk about best practices and values not implemented at high levels of department
    - poor work/life balance and regular, legal activities can result in employment action.
    - diversity and inclusion training does not exist for workers. Not valued at all among departments.

Advice to Management

Inform your workers about changes in the department. Stop hiding behind false promises and rhetoric. Increase pay and accept diversity to attract higher caliber workers in the department.

5. "Find the right department on campus that fits you."

Former Employee - Graduate Teaching Assistant and Graduate Assistant
    Former Employee - Graduate Teaching Assistant and Graduate Assistant

I worked at Emporia State University part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I greatly enjoyed being a graduate teaching assistant for a year because I was able to plan my own lessons, teach my own classes, incorporate activities into each lesson, and get to know my students through class and office hours. There weren't many people politics in the psychology department which I greatly appreciated.
    When I was a graduate assistant for a campus office, I enjoyed the flexibility of working my 20 hours per week, autonomy I was given on independent projects, and helping students.

Cons

There were sometimes people politics between graduate teaching assistants, but I easily steered clear of those who seemed to like drama.
    However, when I worked as a graduate assistant, there were so many people politics that I struggled to navigate. It didn't seem bad at first, but soon enough, the true colors of some of the fellow workers shown through. Often when I left work and got home, I would cry. Over time, I became angry and finally bitter. I complained about a fellow graduate assistant a couple times to my manager for not working and for her behavior, and some steps were taken like I no longer had to work at the same times as her. Everyone knew about my complaint (no confidentiality), and eventually, I just accepted that most of the work we were responsible for would fall on me. Everyone in the office knew everyone else's business, cliques were in place, and lines were drawn. Passive aggressive behavior from some employees who had been there a long time was rampant. Looking back, I would say that I should have left as soon as I could by applying to be a GTA sooner. However, I thought I could change the situation by changing myself. That didn't work, ever. Not all graduate assistantships are equal, and many depend on the politics of that particular department.

Advice to Management

Find hobbies. Do things you love. Build healthy relationships outside of work. Go to a therapist. Putting others down and talking behind their backs only makes you feel dirty. I have done it too, and it isn't healthy. For those who you can't manage their lives without being passive aggressive and scapegoating employees, then retire or find a different job that challenges and rewards you.

"Student Assistant"

I have been working at Emporia State University part-time

Pros

They help you balance school and work

Cons

I do not have any cons

Advice to Management

none

7. "A great place to work if you can get your foot in the door"

Current Employee - Technology Support Consultant II in Emporia, KS
    Current Employee - Technology Support Consultant II in Emporia, KS

I have been working at Emporia State University full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Kind, helpful management is really interested in actually helping professionals live up to their potential.

Cons

Bureaucracy is strangling the place, state government is not supportive.

Advice to Management

Allow new methods to cut through the staid systems that are choking the staff.

8. "Student Assistant"

Former Employee - Student Assistant
    Former Employee - Student Assistant

I worked at Emporia State University part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great supervisors, focused on employer growth and finding new ways to receive feedback and apply new ideas to the work environment

Cons

Not always clear instruction, can be left to your own devices with out any idea what one is actually supposed to be doing or working on

9. "Graduate Assistant international orientation"

Former Employee - Graduate Assistant in Emporia, KS
    Former Employee - Graduate Assistant in Emporia, KS

Pros

Great working environment, great poeple.

Cons

Lack opportunities for career growth

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

10. "Student worker position"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Emporia, KS
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Emporia, KS

I worked at Emporia State University part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work compensation for the student position I worked in was at least minimum wage and for the most part the persons I worked along with were easy to get along with. It was easy to get time off from work when necessary.

Cons

One of the supervisors I worked with enjoyed micromanaging. This was extremely frustrating and led to there being some frustration in the work environment.

Advice to Management

Micromanagement is extremely unhealthy for the life of an organization, it is also unnecessary especially when well -qualified persons are being hired to carry out job roles.

11. "Great Place to Work For"

Former Employee - Photographer in Emporia, KS
    Former Employee - Photographer in Emporia, KS

I worked at Emporia State University part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You will have steady work. The i worked alone as a photographer, but i loved it. You work under someone, but you don't always have to report in. If they have questions they ask, otherwise you can be confident that you are doing good work.

Cons

The hours vary. If you have an event to shoot late at night, you will be the only on in the office as you upload the photos. this could be a pro for people who prefer to work when no one else is around.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. I honestly would work for you again, and that leaves a positive image of emporia state in my mind, even years later.