Empyrean Benefit Solutions Reviews | Glassdoor

2.6
Empyrean Benefit Solutions CEO Richard Wolfe
Richard Wolfe

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Starting a brand new site is very rewarding-and provides the opportunity for growth and future success (in 7 reviews)

• The overall environment is decent and you will meet some great people (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Work Life balance can for sure get crazy sometimes (in 14 reviews)

• I saw such high turnover with almost of no concern to HR or the directors (in 15 reviews)

1. "Its what you make of it."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Empyrean Benefit Solutions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great directors, and support. Transparent leaders who make themselves available. Not lots of room for growth in the service center but if you are willing to step outside of the service center, you can find yourself a great career.

Cons

overworked and underpaid. for the amount of work they have the reps and management do, people shouldn't be scrambling for food.

2. "Sales Associate"

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Empyrean Benefit Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have been working at Empyrean for a few years now and love the work environment. Empyrean has fostered an environment that empowers their sales team and allows them to be creative in the way they approach their sales process and territory management. If you produce, you will be allowed to work autonomously and will be recognized for your success. I have had a great experience overall and would recommend working to Empyrean for anyone that asked.

Cons

You have to be willing to accept quick change. If you are used to a large corporate Change happens quickly so you have to be willing to think on your feet and figure things out on your own sometimes. I personally enjoy this type of environment, but I realize that it is not for everyone.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in your people and keep up the good work!

"Your experience would vary depending upon client assignment."

Former Employee - Business Systems Analyst
    Former Employee - Business Systems Analyst

I worked at Empyrean Benefit Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I was lucky enough to get the "easy" clients when I was assigned to a large business group. My boss was understanding and supportive. The workload was manageable except for the Open Enrollment season. Coworkers were super friendly and willing to help. Free sodas and nice dining area. Compared with my colleagues who joined at the same time, I had to say that my experience was much better - I was able to keep an 8-5 schedule thanks to my clients not being too problematic. Everybody's experience varies. But if you work hard and take your time to actually learn the system, it is actually not too hard for the ongoing team. Also, if you got a nice CSM who actually knows the business process well and CAN manage people, you would be fine. It was good for new grads, but this is pretty much a sink or swim environment - you can grow but you need to put into efforts and also express explicitly when you need help.

Cons

Sometimes I felt helpless and overstretch due to not having backups for my clients. It seemed like I could not even take time off, or nobody would take care of any ongoing work for them. There are some smart senior people around that you can turn to and rely on every time. Nonetheless, they were overloaded with work thus they couldn't be responsive or help out as much as they could. The turnover rate is way too high. Sometimes the client could be over-picky with unrealistic demands. I wish that CSM won't always say yes to them then push it down to BSAs.

Advice to Management

You could have retained talents if you paid them more. I understand there is growing pain. But the hiring standard really needs to be higher. Some BSAs simply do not fit in. During non-busy seasons, try to have the client teams to clean up as many legacy bugs within a system as possible.

"All small companies have growing pains"

Former Employee - BC/DR Coordinator in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - BC/DR Coordinator in Houston, TX

I worked at Empyrean Benefit Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people! I loved the team I worked with; and I had great support from Management.

Cons

High turnover.
    The company needs to improve interdepartmental communications.

Advice to Management

Raise the IQ standard for new BSA's.

"It's what you make of it!"

Current Employee - Business Systems Analyst in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Business Systems Analyst in Houston, TX

I have been working at Empyrean Benefit Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've been at the company for a little over two years now in the Business Systems Analyst role. Ultimately my experience has been an awesome one. I can't think of a company where you can gain as much experience as you can at Empyrean. You're given big time responsibility by your managers, which provides you with a sense of empowerment and as a result helps you grow professionally. The culture is also super flexible; I can work remotely whenever I have the need to, and I can come in and leave work when I want to as long as I get my job done. There aren't many places like that out there. I've seen several negative posts on here and I get what some of them are saying - the work life balance can sometimes veer off the deep end. But here's the thing. There is a peak busy season which will require you to work long hours. But then, for the remainder of the year (especially if you rock it during the busy season) things are extra chill. It's like, for a few months work life is like Finals week in college, but then the rest of the year its syllabus week! If that makes sense.

All in all, I love working here because it's helped me see my potential as a professional. I think that if you put the work in, and ALWAYS stay in communication with your people manager about your concerns, then they will do their best to keep you on the right track. They are there to help you as long as you help them. I've noticed many times at work that when there is an analyst complaining about their job, they will vent it explicitly to their peers, but won't say a peep to their people manager. How are they supposed to help you out with your situation if you aren't being transparent with them? I've always believed in the notion that the squeaky wheel gets cleaned.

Cons

Work Life balance can for sure get crazy sometimes. That and the work is a bit "Baptism By Fire" in the sense that you are given big time responsibility early on in the job.

Advice to Management

Promote from within as much as possible! Some of my favorite people at the company are those that have been there the longest or have grown into higher positions.

"All Stars Need Not Apply"

I have been working at Empyrean Benefit Solutions full-time

Pros

Good place if you enjoy working for sub par wages.

Cons

They say a company’s culture is reflective of executive management. The culture at Empyrean is do what it takes to get the contract. Doing whatever it takes also means that you the so called analyst will be doing grunt work. Not all tech companies are created equal. Also the word Analyst is thrown around freely it seems. As a BSA you are nothing more than glorified tech support. But they will tell you about the experience you will get at Empyrea ,well guess what it is on their own system so it will be of no use. The company is unethical and it shows in everyday activities. Most BSA are under paid but oh will your management love for you to go the extra mile and actually code language so they can developmental work for cheap the execs must think Houston is Mumbai and they can low ball the staff. Do a quick google search one of the Co-founders is no longer with this company , before you take a job here ask yourself why a founder would leave their own growing business. The company also has reached its peak. As a health benefit administrator they are not the next Tower or Mercer. As an analyst you deserve 80k to start off. Skip this company and start your career not find a job that you will hate.

Advice to Management

You are an extension of the community act like it. Your company is posion. Most of your workers are miserable you should probably set up a sucide hotline. That’s is how low morale is. Your system needs major rework.

"Do not apply"

Former Employee - Business Systems Analyst in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Business Systems Analyst in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Empyrean Benefit Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is nothing I can think of to be positive about this workplace

Cons

Everything - the morale was always really low, the workload was ridiculously high and I'd average over 60 hours a week during the busy season (there really isn't a busy season anymore, now you'll just be busy all the time).

"Poor management"

Former Employee - Client Service Representative in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Client Service Representative in Houston, TX

I worked at Empyrean Benefit Solutions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice facility and desks. That’s about it.

Cons

Cheap sandwiches for EVERY company sponsored lunch. Micromanagement. Managers who leave you in the dark when clients get tough.

Advice to Management

Money can’t solve everything. Focus on team meetings and better culture. Your mission and goals do not align with your actions. Provide incentives. If you can’t afford a nice lunch, don’t buy anything at all. Also, if someone quits, don’t harass them with a phone calls and overnight mailings.

"Best Job I've Ever Had"

Current Employee - Administrative/Recruitment Assistant in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Administrative/Recruitment Assistant in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Empyrean Benefit Solutions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Time flexibility; great co-workers; no traffic

Cons

None that I can think of!

"God have mercy on your souls."

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Houston, TX

I worked at Empyrean Benefit Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I do not see anything good with this place.

Cons

Low Pay, the Company is not Hi -Tech, I would not trust them with my pet snail, much less my health.

Advice to Management

File chapter 11 now because ACA is on the way out.