Enchanted Castle Reviews | Glassdoor

CEO

1. "good old EC"

Former Employee - Game Tech in Lombard, IL
    Former Employee - Game Tech in Lombard, IL

I worked at Enchanted Castle full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

playing games, interacting with kids, employees

Cons

no benefits besides 50% off restaurant food

2. "Got banned after my two weeks..."

Former Employee - Ride Operator in Glen Ellyn, IL
    Former Employee - Ride Operator in Glen Ellyn, IL

I worked at Enchanted Castle full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I loved my co-workers. We worked well together and it was a great atmosphere to work with a lot of nerds and like-minded folks. Also getting the opportunity to run rides is not something I can say for a lot of places.

Cons

I had put in my two weeks notice on the 4th of march, but I kept getting hours to the point that I had almost been working three weeks before I couldn't show up anymore. (I had another job lined up.) I missed two of my final scheduled days. But this was way past my two weeks.

My friend was doing some spring cleaning and found some old tickets and asked if the castle still accepted them, despite upgrading to the new card system. I told him yes, and he said we should go there for a little while. I agreed, so that he could have a little fun, but I was worried about how the castle would treat me since I missed my last days. While there I still abided by the company's policy of not playing any games, and just hung out with my friend for the time. Until my boss approached me on the floor, in front of guests, asking where I was and expressing that I didn't have a job anymore. I was in no mood to talk to him about it on the game floor so I just remained quiet, not wanting to escalate anything. He left abruptly saying that I needed to leave after getting my things.

My friend and I stood at the game counter and awaited someone to help us, however we were being avoided and other guests were being assisted. My boss came up to my friend this time, explaining that there was a "Breach of security" with an ex-employee on the premises. He explained that his card had been permanately suspended (with the tickets that we had found earlier) and his money ($5) refunded to him. And then he was asked to leave -along with me.

I later got a text from one of my co-workers explaining that because of how public my boss was about confronting me that I had been permanently banned from the castle and am never to return. (Also asked me for my side of the story.)

I have never left a job in such a strange manner. I put in my two weeks, work almost three due to short staff, and then still abiding by company policy not to play games, but just wanting to have a bit of fun with my friend, wind up banned. I thought that they really liked me, or at least valued me, but with how I was treated, I guess I was just another cog in the machine.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees more. $8.25 is just not enough to keep folks loyal especially when we're running rides, cleaning bathrooms, upholding safety, and at the very least making sure guests are happy. Everything in the area starts at $9 an hour, and that's for non-skilled labor. I can't get over that we were running rides, and were not considered skilled in the slightest.

Also uphold two week notices. I worked almost three before I left because I kept receiving hours. Management really needs to step up their game, because if they paid people a livable wage, there would be way more loyalty to stay at the castle.

3. "All Over Employee"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lombard, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lombard, IL

I have been working at Enchanted Castle full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible with hours, not too much work, friendly employees, 50% off in the restraunt, half hour breaks, occasional employee nights

Cons

If you dont kiss the managers butts, you get no where. I personally put almost 3 years of my time into this place to still be behind the others that got hired the same time as I did. They want "assistants/supervisors" to be role models yet none of the people in the position are such thing. They're always on their phones, and speak down to everyone regardless of how long you've been there. You get sick all the time because this place is so disgusting and no one helps out with cleaning. More like no one cares enough to really clean. This job is extremely unfair and there is absolutely no incentive to work here. They have only female cashiers, and males at go karts. Girls aren't given the opportunity to attempt training down there, and they don't even bother training guys at the Ticket booth. I dont recommend working here at all. Not worth it for 8.25 when everywhere else starts at $9 or more.

Advice to Management

Learn how to treat your staff with respect and reward those who actually deserve it. Not just cause they kissed your butt.

5. "Good Place to work if your okay with minimum wage."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lombard, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lombard, IL

Pros

It is a fun place and the food is good there so lunch is always nice. The managers are pretty fair and treat you good. And sometimes you get to play the laser tag and go karts for free.

Cons

When it is really dead you always have to pretend like you are working by fake cleaning or something or else you will get yelled at other than that it is an okay job.

6. "Treated poorly for 50cents under minimum wage"

Former Employee - One Year As A Legal Slave in Lombard, IL
    Former Employee - One Year As A Legal Slave in Lombard, IL

Pros

You get paid 50cents under minimum wage until you turn 18 or after 90 days of work, whichever comes later.

Cons

You have to clean up urine and feces. You must put up with all types of rude and irresponsible customers. No matter how wrong the customer is and how right you are, the managers will reprimand you. Your ability to kiss the managers butts is required to move up in ranks. You need to be able to stand on your feet for 8 hours, possibly chasing after little kids and pushing Go-Karts the entire time.

Advice to Management

Treat employees with more respect. Give employees a raise if they do a good job and have worked there for a few years or more. Give benefits or perks to employees that aren't just an ice cream bar or a handful of candy once a month. High five an employee for helping out the company once in a while.

7. "Happy Employee"

Pros

Great company to work for. They were great in letting me work over breaks at school (college). Always let me work enough hours per week

Cons

Hours on the weekend nights every weekend were a lot during highschool