Encompass Digital Media Reviews | Glassdoor

2.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Chris Walters

Cons

1. "Very friendly, understanding, and mostly happy management"

Current Employee - Master Control Operator in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Master Control Operator in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Encompass Digital Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some great responsibilities include control over and monitoring live TV. The staff is friendly and has always been flexible with me

Cons

Shifts include either one Saturday or Sunday per week. Someone has to monitor your station if you have to step away for lunch or a break, but there are supervisors for that reason.

Advice to Management

Hire more people. It seems just a little understaffed sometimes.

"operator"

Current Employee - Operator in Stamford, CT
    Current Employee - Operator in Stamford, CT

I have been working at Encompass Digital Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great location on Stamford harbor. Lower management tries hard to work with employees. Overall people are nice.

Cons

Senior management lacks vision and does not value employees. The pay is awful, not competitive with the industry, and the benefits decrease every year. Thus, creating a turnaround rate that borders embarrassing.

Advice to Management

I doubt upper management reads glassdoor. They're not insightful enough to accept criticism.

"Poison"

Former Employee - Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Manager in Atlanta, GA

Pros

The lower level network operations staff is composed of hard working, intelligent people who are dedicated to doing a good job though struggling to keep up due to things out of their control. Lots of good people in Master Control, TOC and Engineering (aka the folks who actually do any work)

Cons

1. Very low pay
    2. Company keeps changing benefit plans. They get worse and worse over the years.
    3. Upper management is concerned only with making a $
    4. Any position below upper management is left out of the line of communications and generally neglected.
    5. Information is purposely withheld from those who need it to benefit the upper positions (i.e. some of the people in supervisory positions withhold information so that their positions can be seen as more valuable)
    6. Upper management is mean, condescending and occasionally makes women and minority members uncomfortable.
    7. Though the HR department is qualified and helpful, management often takes HR matters into their own hands and attempts to circumvent HR involvement in very real HR related issues.
    8. Training is minimal, incomplete and laughable.
    9. Once a salary cap is met, people are laid off.
    10. Upper management is in the habit of spreading lies and rumors about employees to justify layoffs and bad decisions. I have seen this happen while working there regarding people other than myself and have seen it happen to me after I was no longer with the company. I was told that I was laid off due to "restructuring" and then was told by a former colleague that my previous supervisor went around telling people that I wasn't "carrying my weight". Of course, many managers were laid off along with me and the company is now struggling to maintain clients.
    11. Clients are belittled and ridiculed by all levels of management and not given the attention deserved.
    12. Morale is almost completely depleted and goes completely unaddressed.
    13. Lower level employees completely distrust anyone working in a position above them (for a reason).
    14. No room for advancement or growth.
    15. Complete lack of transparency.
    16. Stressful
    17. Zero appreciation is shown for hard work and accomplishment of tasks. In my many many years of service and loyalty, I had one supervisor give me a thanks or appreciation for a job well done. A great deal of praise came from clients and from staff reporting to me. Contrarily, blame is frequently placed on reporting staff, anything to avoid accountability by upper management.

After leaving, I was contacted by many of my former clients who had my personal phone number. They were baffled at my sudden disappearance and expressed to me that I was the only person in that company that they trusted. This should say a lot about the upper management who constantly lied to them and delayed important projects. As of this writing, almost all of the channel managers have been laid off and clients are dropping.

Stay away from this poisonous affair. Fair warning to all potential clients and employees. This place is eating itself up from the inside out. Everyone there is looking for work elsewhere. Good luck, because working for Encompass is a scarlet letter you must bear and account for at every future interview.

Advice to Management

A leather hole punch is an economical alternative to buying new belts for your ever-growing waistlines. Also, try treating people the way you want to be treated.

"The Only Real Review You'll Ever Need"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Encompass Digital Media full-time

Pros

You get to witness first hand how some maneuver through the horrible work environment. There's three classes of people that work here. The "Broken" who have completely given up on any chance of a good life, the "Bully" who have adopted the Encompass culture and try to exercise all tactics for control which includes backstabbing and withholding information for their own survival, and the "Bewildered" who have no idea how they ended up in a company like Encompass and try with all their might to escape the heinous environment with their soul intact. If this is your first job here please don't get discouraged, (there is such thing as a professional environment) just think of the company as a "scared straight" program to where you hope you never work for a place like this. It really isn't you...it's the company culture...seriously.

Cons

The first problem I have with this company is server space. I find it absolutely amazing that they don't have enough server space to conduct business. People who have smart phones treat their phones with more care than this company does with their server space and if you ever have the chance to work here...just walk behind the beautiful display of monitors...its a complete mess behind it all. It literally looks like a college kids dorm "entertainment set" back there. My favorite part of the day is when something goes wrong and they say its because of corrupt media (ummmm no) maybe the server space is the issue.
         The work culture is absolutely horrible. I've never seen a company that leaves its leadership so unprepared and with no support. This isn't by accident. This has been set up to allow the people who have been there the longest to keep their position for as long as possible before they find something else (if their even qualified). I've seen countless times where something goes wrong and the main people aren't around and the leadership always blames training. Trust me...they don't want you to know everything. Just for fun I imagine the day that the CEO asks the leadership to create a manual only for upper management (in case they leave) for what they know. I'd love to be there for that awkward 7 seconds before that person obliges because they know their value has been resulted to zero. Don't get me started on those that purposefully sabotage the work in hopes that they move up. I get sick to my stomach thinking about it.
         Last but not least, the 12 hour shifts. I'm not sure people really understand the concept of working somewhere like this for half a day. Oh yeah...I forgot that you have to do 3 hours of mandatory overtime (can you say China?). Your life is literally turned upside down. They work off a seniority system so who knows how long it will be before you get a descent shift (descent meaning you have the weekends off). You have to basically wait for someone to quit or die before you get a good shift.
         The other thing I don't get is how the company punishes others for something while nothing happens to the other person. They have this rule about cell phones that no one follows. And the dress code is ridiculous. I won't even address the rumors...just what I've seen.

Advice to Management

Lets be real. I'm pretty sure this is the "Titanic" and you're not going to change anything (It's was just a iceberg right...how bad could it be). I guarantee the issues will remain 6 months from now. You might do a "slight of hand" and put a few posters on the wall but the "couch" still has a nasty rip in it.

I wish I was allowed to put no stars.....Glassdoor is nicer than me...so you get 1.

Just for fun...can you guess which reviews are fake and which ones are real?

"Broadcast Media Coordinator"

Current Employee - Broadcast Media Coordinator in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Broadcast Media Coordinator in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Encompass Digital Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good experience and good networking tool

Cons

lack of communication, poor management, poor leadership, and not suitable career advancement.

Advice to Management

Be accountable just like you want your employees to be.

"MCO"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Encompass Digital Media (More than a year)

Pros

A place to get started within the industry.

Cons

The turn over is very high. There is a lack of training from managers. This is a corporate environment with a 'Good 'ol boys" feel.

7. "Great company to gain valuable experience."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stamford, CT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stamford, CT

I worked at Encompass Digital Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company has benefits, 401k but the pay isn't the greatest. Great start for people needing experience in the industry

Cons

Not that much room for growth for employees trying to work their way up. Also the schedules can be very difficult to adjust to.

Advice to Management

Figure out ways to allow growth within the company.

"Pointless and low-paying"

Former Employee - Master Control Operator in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Master Control Operator in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Encompass Digital Media full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The benefits are decent, and there are some good people there. A lot of downtime is nice for some.

Cons

That downtime is nice until things go wrong and you get yelled at for things you have no control over. Arrogant managers, poor hours, little scheduling flexibility

Advice to Management

Hire some people who think there's more to managing than being the loudest person in the room.

9. "Master Control Operator"

Former Employee - Master Control Operator in Rockville Centre, NY
    Former Employee - Master Control Operator in Rockville Centre, NY

I worked at Encompass Digital Media (More than a year)

Pros

solid pay, good coworkers, relaxed work environment

Cons

can get boring and repetitive

10. "Media Specialist"

Former Employee - Media/Solution Architect in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Media/Solution Architect in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Encompass Digital Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you want to work you can.

Cons

No room for advancement and below average pay.