Encore Capital Group Reviews | Glassdoor

2.9
Encore Capital Group CEO and President Ashish Masih
Ashish Masih

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Good Work life balance as compare to other IT companies" (in 35 reviews)

• "The company is in good shape right now and the work environment will be the best pro you will enjoy working here" (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • "Terrible communication from senior management unless you work directly under them" (in 9 reviews)

• "work life balance is something need to work upon" (in 5 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Outstanding Place to Work"

I have been working at Encore Capital Group full-time

Pros

Encore Capital is a great place to work for. They are focused on helping the consumer. There is a great atmosphere and a drive towards teamwork and inclusion. Encore is an innovative company with a great future.

Cons

Like any company there can be communication issues at times, but they are solved quickly and effectively

Advice to Management

keep listing to your staff and drive your results based on ethics and consumer first focus.

2. "I love coming to work here everyday"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Encore Capital Group full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Extremely bright, talented, caring employees. Trusted CEO and executives. Everyone practices what they preach - to help consumers.

Cons

Difficult to get a raise or promotion - there are lots of strong performers, high expectations, big workloads and a small budget.

"Do Not Work Here"

Former Employee - Legal Specialist in Saint Cloud, MN

I worked at Encore Capital Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This company provided me with skills to transition to a new position outside of MCM.

Flexibility used to be a plus but applying elsewhere has shown that most other companies have great flexibility too.

Cons

Someone once called the St Cloud site the "trailer park" of Encore; somehow it's worse now. This site recently went through a remodel and now the site looks like it's ready for lining up milk cattle into their designated shoots for milking. With this "remodel", the goal was to have the team more productive but it did just the opposite. Before the walls were higher and the only person you spoke to was your cube-mate. But now, you see AND hear everything coming from the rows of people. You are able to hear all the apple and carrot crunching, along with every conversation. You are able to hear your manager take personal calls from a distraught significant other at home and you can hear the snoring of the person sitting to the left of you.
    The LS management team (there are 7, including upper management) needs to learn to COMMUNICATE and GET ALONG with each other. They also need to stop playing favorites to certain legal specialists. Favoritism is so high and it's spread to the upper management at this site it's unbearable! Of the many problems this site has, is that among the 5 managers of the Legal Specialist team, they all "manage" differently. So much so that when one manager is out of the office and a legal specialist on their team needs something and they ask another manager, it's not approved because that other manager doesn't allow it. The management team needs to stop allowing Legal Specialists to sleep at their desks while working affidavits and/or doing other assigned SME tasks and fall asleep during on-boarding training. They have this "rule" of no cell phones at any desk but you can walk by almost any manager's desk and they have their cell phones out and/or are engaging on them; if the Legal Specialist team is unaware that the rules don't apply the same for management, that's fine but it would be nice if the management team was upfront about that, another lack of communication. And also stop a certain Legal Specialist (one that I witnessed myself) from Face-timing at her desk - on more than one occasion.
    In the last 6-8 months, I've had one-on-ones with a member of upper management; the response is "I didn't know that" or "I've never heard that" - so I'm afraid I don't know which to be more scared of, that she really doesn't know or she doesn't care to know.
    Some things the upper management at the St. Cloud needs to work on are as follows. Again, stop playing favorites. Stop under-utilizing the manager that has worked as a Legal Specialist and worked their way up. This person's knowledge base is something the 4 other managers don't have because they never validated an affidavit. STOP over-utilizing the manager that fights with everyone and who has zero management skills or experience. If this manager doesn't get her way, she cries to her friend on upper management. When it's in regards to a task that a legal specialist questioned and didn't agree the answer given by this manager, and goes on to get second opinion from the on-site attorney or another person from Legal, that legal specialist then gets bullied because the manager whose feelings were hurt, "tattles". At the end of the day, the legal specialist signs these affidavits, NOT the manager whose answer is "it's fine" to process with no additional information. That is NOT okay because if that legal specialist is deposed, you can't answer "my manager said it's fine".
    Another manager was added to the team mid-2018, the legal specialist team received two "selling" emails about her. The first 2-3 months this new manager did almost nothing. She wandered the "halls" and colored for the Compliance Fair. She did not manage anything. She was hired as a senior manager but all she manages to do is be a glorified hall monitor. She's also the an upper manager's very good friend outside of the company; some speculate that is how she got the job in the first place.
    When management says, "if not happy here, leave. There will be someone to fill your shoes", That was the cue that this company was failing, fast.

Advice to Management

Start positively communicating with each other. Start using the "positive intent" thing you pushed so hard on the legal specialist team. Start working as a team.
    Stop recognizing those who sleep at their desks and can't use basis computer functions.
    Basically retrain 90% of the management team

"..."

Former Employee - Legal Specialist in Troy, MI
    Former Employee - Legal Specialist in Troy, MI

I worked at Encore Capital Group full-time

Pros

The pay is good when you first start.
    You get to work with a few good people.
    FREE COFFEE!!!!

Cons

Management is horrible, if your not a favorite or good friends with a team lead your screwed.
    Like any other company they don’t care about real life issues, it could be a snow storm & impossible to drive they expect you there, even though they won’t be coming in. There’s also people who’ve been working for the company 10+ years & barely make more than new hires.

"Terrible Management"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Troy, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Troy, MI

I worked at Encore Capital Group full-time

Pros

Flex time, free coffee & gym

Cons

Poor management with no people skills, too much micromanaging, prison like environment, favoritism, no room for growth unless you are a "yes" person, poor morale, negative environment, unrealistic goals, can't get questions answered, and management make up rules as they go. The pay is well below average for the type of work performed.

Advice to Management

Find some training that will offer people skills, understand you are working with adults and not children, stop forming cliques(this is not high school), stop thinking you can break rules and then try to enforce them to staff members, stop coming in with toxic attitudes, understand that respect is earned and not given because you have a management title.

"A blue collar 'professional' desk job"

Former Employee - Legal Specialist in Saint Cloud, MN

I worked at Encore Capital Group (More than 5 years)

Pros

I worked at Encore Capital Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexibility with PTO and make-up time. Summer hours offered at St. Cloud site. Tuition reimbursement, parenting flex time time (8 extra days of paid time), 8 hours paid volunteer time.

Cons

Zero growth and development given from management team with natural growth stunted by micromanagement. They're about 60 Legal Specialists on the floor all competing for variety of work (and a lack thereof), as the main task is redundant and production driven. At this point they hire anyone with the basic skills and have them complete a Paralegal Certificate. Turnover of the management team has resulted in loss of knowledge and requires reinventing the wheel. I was employed for the company for five years, and not once given a congratulations, or the company catalog that was distributed for anniversary milestones, even after reaching out to HR. They care about their bottom line, their bonuses (which on several occasions we had been told we are cutting spending on things like fun events, so senior management can obtain larger bonuses), but not their teams. Last but not least: The St. Cloud site is the "trailer park" of all the locations. Humid in the Summer and ice cold in the Winter.

Advice to Management

Production is important, but ethical obligations are more important. Specific issues were brought to managements attention and fallen on deaf ears. Cutting corners on the specific task could result in another legal consequence to the company.

"A good job with a lot of room for growth"

Former Employee - Skip Tracer in Troy, MI
    Former Employee - Skip Tracer in Troy, MI

I worked at Encore Capital Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1. Great benefits program
    2. Bonus incentive program
    3. Diverse working group

Cons

1. The nature of debt collecting is not for everyone

"Not a good place to work"

Former Employee - Managing Attorney in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Managing Attorney in San Diego, CA

I worked at Encore Capital Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Hands down, the people you get to work with, across the globe. They are the only reason I stayed as long as I did, until the cons completely drowned out the pros and I simply couldn’t take it anymore.

Cons

Please make no mistake, no matter how it is sold to you in an interview, this is a production shop and the only thing that matters is volume. Any attorney that goes to work here is being hired as a hand with a pen, nothing more.

Encore’s MO is to hire as few people as possible, at well below market rate, and bury them. I can’t remember a time when I didn’t have at least 80 hours worth of production in my office at any given moment, and it never stopped coming in, no matter how many hours I worked, 7 days per week. I likened it to running in front of a tsunami of paperwork and I could never let the paperwork tsunami overtake me or I would completely drown.

I was fortunate to get out before I completely drowned, but I did not make it out unscathed. In addition to the massive volume of work I was expected to perform (and please note that doing things right and following the strict letter of the law are frowned upon if it is not the most efficient way), I had a horrible experience with my new manager, and after months of trying to make it work and trying to figure out why things were happening the way they were, I finally had enough and went to HR. They “investigated” for nearly two months and acknowledged that there was clearly a problem, but did absolutely nothing to address it.

I quit the day after I learned I would still be reporting to the same manager, despite a complete lack of leadership and an obvious personal vendetta. After I quit, her manager came to my office and told me he recognized there was an issue and he believed that what I had reported was true, but he could not prove it “beyond a reasonable doubt”. He essentially declined to remove his “lawyer” hat and replace it with his “manager” hat, instead opting to use a standard that only applies when someone is facing prison time.

Unfortunately I am not the only casualty of poor management. In the nearly 5 years that I spent working for Encore, I have seen some of the most talented and hardworking people I’ve ever met move on because no matter how hard they worked or how much effort they put in, they knew it would never be rewarded because there wasn’t enough opportunity for growth, unless you’re director-level or above.

The company has no qualms about creating new roles like Managing VP and Sr. Director for people already making six figures, but they can’t be bothered to create any opportunities for staff counsel or paralegals or legal assistants who work just as hard. As a result, Encore has become a place where people typically come to get their feet wet, then move on to a place where they have a chance to actually feel appreciated and receive adequate compensation.

Advice to Management

It doesn’t matter what I say here. It is what it is and that’s never going to change under current management. I just want people to go in with eyes wide open and know that no matter how hard you work, no matter how many hours you spend in the office, if you’re the first one in and last one out every single day, you will be treated exactly the same as the person who does the bare minimum.

9. "Vendor Specialist"

Current Employee - Process Manager in Saint Cloud, MN
    Current Employee - Process Manager in Saint Cloud, MN

I have been working at Encore Capital Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Independent Work
    -Group Setting
    -Cross team training
    -Variety of work
    -Fast past

Cons

-Not much room for growth
    -Not the most challenging work

Advice to Management

-Take your employees serious
    -Listen to employee input
    -Communicate more with employees
    -Trust employees/don't micromanage

10. "Account Manager recruitment process"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Encore Capital Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The recruitment process was efficiently managed by the senior recruitment manager. The time frame was sufficient and the process was mostly done in my case by phone due to the fact that I was overseas. The assessment and tests actually focused on the skills the position requires, which allowed me to be confident on my performance. The training and support given not only by the training department but by everybody is very close and I can say all in Encore really work for your success.

Cons

None that affects my work.

Advice to Management

Keep the good work and culture. You can feel the cooperation among all teams.