Encore Capital Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated April 22, 2017

Encore Capital Group President and CEO Kenneth A. Vecchione
Kenneth A. Vecchione

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great work life balance, fun coworkers and smart people (in 24 reviews)

• Wonderful work environment, Heavily focused on providing internal support to other employees (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • High turnover across the company due to top performers not being appreciated (in 6 reviews)

• Office politics are particularly heavy at senior management level (in 6 reviews)

"Not as bad as people are saying! Company is thriving!"

Current Employee - Legal Specialist in Saint Cloud, MN
    Current Employee - Legal Specialist in Saint Cloud, MN

I have been working at Encore Capital Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule, Team events, can send award to team members, Company picnic, Holiday award banquet. Company survey to make a better environment. My Group manager cares about her team and individuals. She sticks up for and fights for what is best for her team. The Company listens to their employees and sought additional medical insurance options. Offered bonus potential to all employees. Ken V- CEO is amazing! Started president club- taking award winning team to Italy this year- 30+ staff and their guest. Offer schedule adjustments so you can make up time off instead of using PTO also at times offers summer hours.

Cons

Review process and lack of an actual performance raises, all raises are on average 1% to 3%. Basically only cost of living. You must write your own review. Not a lot of positions to advance to. Some specialty areas.

Advice to Management

Need to pay more. Eliminate the PACE process. Give a cost of living increase. The 1% to 3% increase people get is not even enough to cover cost of living. Stop calling it merit based. Start giving an additional performance review. Need to give 2 raises a yr. Stock options and bonus program before Christmas.

2. "Vendor Specialist"

Former Employee - Vendor Specialist in Saint Cloud, MN
    Former Employee - Vendor Specialist in Saint Cloud, MN

I worked at Encore Capital Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This is a good entry-level position to get some adequate work experience. Great team atmosphere, flexible hours, great incentives and awards.

Cons

There is not a lot of career advancement opportunities unless you get a management position. The pay is under par with similar positions in this industry. The annual wage increases are a little ridiculous.

Advice to Management

Work harder to get higher wages for good employees

"Culture and Environment"

I worked at Encore Capital Group full-time

Pros

Good and talented people to work with

Cons

Lots of turnover throughout the company

4. "Anonymous"

I have been working at Encore Capital Group full-time

Pros

Learned lots. They helped you get the training you need.

Cons

Sometimes felt very tiered between employees

"Anonymous"

I worked at Encore Capital Group full-time

Pros

Though the hourly wages were pretty low the commission/bonus structure allowed for a good overall salary, there were people in my department making 70K plus. My coworkers were awesome and made the day go bt faster. The company would do fun things like costume contests for halloween, gift raffles for Christmas, company picnic in summer, ice cream socials...

Cons

There was a lot of favoritism and also some bullying behavior amongst management. Many of the managers were "do as I say, not as I do" and unqualified on a lot of levels. All you needed to get employed was a highschool diploma, even for managers so things could get pretty petty.

Advice to Management

Hire managers with a college education. Uphold your employee's rights and make sure managers who are not behaving appropriately are punished. Make benefits for employee's dependents affordable.

"Disorganized and Unfocused"

Former Employee - Manager in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Manager in San Diego, CA

I worked at Encore Capital Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Ok money, but had to negotiate hard on before I started
    - Updated offices
    - Quick moving
    - Good people/peers

Cons

- Disorganized project planning and prioritizing; seems like priorities change every day, resulting in inefficiencies
    - Non-communicative top leadership
    - The industry has a target on it's back by both the government and the public as a whole (I never felt comfortable talking/defending my company to outsiders)
    - Very analytically focused; difficult to influence with leveraging other approaches
    - Layoffs; Inconsistent annual review attributes and measures

Advice to Management

Be more focused on culture, priorities, and planning. Ken - Focus on employee feedback; be proactive on addressing issue, be a focus-down leaders

"senior"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Encore Capital Group full-time

Pros

- I love my team (for the most part).
    - Minimal supervision
    - Gym inside the office building
    - Great location

Cons

- Town hall meetings reflect "rainbows and butterflies" but reality shows stark contrast.
    - Tone at the top needs significant improvement
    - Leadership is disconnected from what truly occurs in the weeds.
    - Promotions don't mean the same thing here as in other companies.
    - Talent resourcing is not up to scale compared to volume of work (most departments are short on people)
    - the push for innovation is shunned by office politics and company culture
    - I've had better medical benefits at other companies
    - Management tends to bend the rules and get away with it

Advice to Management

Build and fix your core company before you continue to acquire companies around the world

"Current employee"

I have been working at Encore Capital Group full-time

Pros

Flexible, with continuous job security

Cons

Reactive instead of pro-active

9. "Great people, greedy company"

Former Contractor - Legal Specialist in San Diego, CA
    Former Contractor - Legal Specialist in San Diego, CA

I worked at Encore Capital Group as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Young professional work environment, very laid back

Cons

lack of leadership and growth opportunities. As a temporary employee you are treated as the red-headed step child. I was promised I was next in line for a full time position, however conveniently in the year i worked at Encore only one position ever opened up, and I did not apply because I did not want it.

"Depending on department, this is a great entry level opportunity for working in a corporate setting for decent pay."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Pros

Decent pay for the nature of the work
    Modern, clean work environment, depending on location
    Great exposure to the overall legal processes in multiple states
    Fair amount of wiggle room for breaks, time off etc.; not too much micro management in that regard
    Nice, younger, attractive coworkers; decent camaraderie/culture
    Not too many meetings

Cons

Work isn't stimulating, challenging, or engaging
    Task based production is barely legal work, and numbers are king
    High turnover
    Terrible, borderline broken software
    Suggestions, improvements or potential regulatory concerns go ignored or are rarely if ever acted upon
    Training is verbal, and can vary from person to person, with no written documentation for certain positions

Advice to Management

Hire competent, knowledgeable group managers. If they have to rely on a "senior" subordinate to do a lot of their workload delegation and other management duties, or if they simply don't know how a process works, then they're neither competent nor knowledgeable.

Ditto on team members. If they have a degree, great. If they put out a lot of work, great. Neither necessarily makes them capable of consistently meeting the already relatively low standards, or grasping certain procedural/legal concepts.

Recognize those who excel, and compensate them accordingly. Don't use excuses of budgetary constraints. Promote from within, like a ladder.

For middle management specifically, don't excuse your duty by making statements like "we've already brought it up" or "we don't know if it will be addressed", especially when regulatory concerns are raised.

Create a training environment emulating the production environment. Have written training manuals.