Endeavor Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated July 13, 2017

5.0
Linda Rottenberg

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great organization to learn a lot (in 4 reviews)

• Gained in depth knowledge of how a non-profit works (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • ceiling to one's career development within the organization (in 2 reviews)

• That said, it's growing fast and there's definitely more opportunity today (in 2012) than there was in 2010 for example (in 2 reviews)

1. "Entrepreneur Selection and Growth Intern Experience"

Former Intern - Entrepreneur Selection and Growth in New York, NY
    Former Intern - Entrepreneur Selection and Growth in New York, NY

I worked at Endeavor as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Though it was a mix of substantive and not-so-substantive work, the culture of Endeavor was a huge bonus. You will learn a lot about formally analyzing a company (market sizing, competitive landscape research, value prop, etc). The ESG associates are incredibly smart and very approachable; they were always willing to help/teach.

Cons

A significant aspect of this internship was database management - cleaning up their Salesforce data to improve their network. It was a little tedious, but understandable work for an intern. Unpaid, but overall still a good experience.

Advice to Management

I don't have too much advice for the senior management. Paying the interns would definitely be good, but it is a non-profit so it's understandable that the internship is unpaid.

2. "Dream job"

Former Employee - Manager, Entrepreneur Selection & Growth in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Manager, Entrepreneur Selection & Growth in New York, NY

I worked at Endeavor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

After three years of working at Endeavor I recently left to pursue an MBA. I loved my time at the organization and walked into the office everyday filled with purpose and enthusiasm for our work. A few highlights:

1) Culture & Team - The team (both in NYC and across the world) is filled with the smartest, most ambitious, fun-loving people I imagine I will ever have the privilege of working with. I consider many of my former coworkers life-long friends.

2) Exposure & career growth - I started as an Associate at Endeavor with three years of prior work experience. Endeavor very quickly exposed me to a variety of skills -- managing others, communicating with high-level stakeholders, dissecting business models -- that were critical to my professional growth.

3) Network - Endeavor is in the business of building close relationships with leading innovators in the most exciting growth markets around the world. Having access to this network was an incredible asset for me, and helped me identify where I hope to go next in my career.

Cons

Endeavor practices what it preaches by thinking BIG and growing FAST -- which means things are constantly changing. What I found most challenging at Endeavor was how often my role was evolving and how frequently the organization was being restructured to accommodate growth. While this is exciting and offers great opportunity, I don't think the organization is a great fit for someone who is not willing to be exceedingly agile and adaptive.

3. "Development Director"

Current Employee - Developer in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Developer in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Endeavor full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Very flexible hours and good IT

Cons

Projects can spread out and lost production

4. "Great place to intern"

Former Intern - Intern in New York, NY
    Former Intern - Intern in New York, NY

I worked at Endeavor as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

- Talented, driven staff who have traveled all over the world
    - Each intern has ownership over their own project
    - Variety of tasks keeps things interesting
    - Staff interested in making interns have a good experience
    - Great office in a beautiful part of Manhattan

Cons

- A lot of data entry; can get boring at times
    - Not much collaboration; mostly people are working on their own thing

5. "Great experience overall"

Current Intern - Anonymous Intern in New York, NY
    Current Intern - Anonymous Intern in New York, NY

I have been working at Endeavor as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

They give their interns individualized, engaging projects that exceeded my expectations in terms of the impact I'd be able to have in my short time here. The brown bag lunches were really worthwhile, and the employees are all smart and genuinely friendly people who come from great schools and are always happy to share their expertise.

Cons

It's a nonprofit so it's strapped for resources in some areas. Also, some weeks are slow because the majority of the ESG team is traveling.

Advice to Management

I really liked it here, and you guys did everything possible to convey the organization's value and make the interns feel welcome. So, thanks! Yeah, this isn't advice. There's a 20 word minimum on these things...

6. "Entrepreneur Selection & Growth"

Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY

I worked at Endeavor (Less than a year)

Pros

Very friendly environment
    Interesting case studies to work on

Cons

Can't think of any cons

7. "Great!"

Former Intern - Insight Analyst in New York, NY
    Former Intern - Insight Analyst in New York, NY

I worked at Endeavor as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great culture and people. As part of the insight team I learned a lot about different parts of the world

Cons

A bit slow at times. The pace is really up to you and sometimes that can be slow. But not as bad.

8. "Great experience"

Current Employee - Director, Entrepreneur Services in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Director, Entrepreneur Services in New York, NY

I have been working at Endeavor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

International development and lots of travel

Cons

Non-profit so there are some limitations

9. "Fantastic internship experience"

Former Intern - Analyst, Insight in New York, NY
    Former Intern - Analyst, Insight in New York, NY

I worked at Endeavor as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

-Young and energetic coworkers. Both paid staff and fellow interns are extremely bright and diverse

-Depending on team and project, work can be very interesting. Direct contact w/ c-level executives, vc firms, etc. Valuable work experience if you are seeking a career in entrepreneurship (ex. working at a start-up, some non-profit/NGO jobs, or even consulting)

-Increasing prestige and "brand recognition"

-New office is in a great location (Flatiron district); open concept and plenty of light

-Generally, hours are 9-6. Half days on Fridays during summer

-Overall mission of the organization is commendable. Great concept!

Cons

-Internships are generally unpaid and extremely unlikely to lead to job offer

-Certain projects can be tedious; unclear as to what you gain from working on the project as an unpaid intern

Advice to Management

Work on "career opportunities" for interns. Since internship is unpaid and unlikely to lead to a job with Endeavor, career development opportunities are expected. Brown bag lunches with guest speakers and limited number of presentations on consulting and vc are nice, but networking opportunities, referrals, etc would be much more helpful.

10. "Energetic and collaborative office culture with a high-trust, results-focused internship structure"

Former Intern - Insight Intern in New York, NY
    Former Intern - Insight Intern in New York, NY

I worked at Endeavor as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

As an intern, you're trusted with work that lies close to the core of the organization's mission and strategy. From the beginning, you'll find yourself in conversations (or actively pursuing conversations) with high-profile actors in the global entrepreneurship/economic development community, and you kind of carve your own niche of expertise through these conversations in a way that's personal and ultimately irreplaceable in the context of your project.

A lot of thought goes into your work before you step in, as well; supervisors place a great deal of work into making sure your work has a broad and lasting impact beyond your stay, and just as much thought goes into making sure you sense the value of your contribution. They also invest in your future career through a regular series of brown bag lunches and guest speakers who share their perspectives and advice on consulting, venture capital, etc.

The office atmosphere is great: the staff is multicultural, with the right balance of casual and often silly yet focused on achieving results.

Cons

Experience can vary greatly by project. I lucked out by being placed into one that was a (retrospectively) great fit and allowed the right balance of independence and guidance, but others felt that they were often left waiting for the next task to come around or were caught in a routine of more mundane errands.

The office also feels more than a little segmented. You get close to your division over your 10 weeks, but it's hard for someone on Insight to really know ESG, International Expansion, and Organizational Development outside of the brown bag lunch context. And CEO Linda Rottenberg is wonderful, but she's busy and elusive as it gets.

There's not much upward potential because of the size of the organization; as an intern, it's EXTREMELY unlikely that this will develop into a full-time position at the global branch. But with the organization expanding rapidly, this will probably improve - slightly at the New York office but moreso in the growing number of regional branches.