Endocrine Society Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Barbara Byrd Keenan

1. "Great colleagues, but year-round stress depending on dept"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rockville, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rockville, MD

I have been working at Endocrine Society full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of surprise days off with the new CEO.
    Fun group of colleagues.
    Lots of projects to get involved in if you're looking for it.

Cons

A lot of turnover going on right now.
    Year-round stress. It seems like there's always something going on.
    A lot of colleagues love to have way too many meetings.

Advice to Management

Hire more staff.
    Teach people to just make a decision and run with it.

2. "Not worth the commute and office drama"

Former Employee - All the Same in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - All the Same in Washington, DC

I worked at Endocrine Society full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Non-profit work in a medical-related business. Every so often decent lunches were bought for the employees.

Cons

High turnover; untrained/poorly trained management; extraordinary amounts of office drama, politics, and hypocrisy; no recognition or support.

Advice to Management

Get your act together. Your most valuable resource is your employees, but you certainly don't follow that creed.

"Terrible management"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at Endocrine Society full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good pay and good benefits

Cons

Some of the worst managers I have ever worked with. They do not know how to manage employees

"Just Take Negative Reviews w a Grain of Salt"

Current Employee - Middle Management in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Middle Management in Washington, DC

I have been working at Endocrine Society full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Job Security; pay; beautiful offices; fun, nice coworkers; interesting, challenging work; an organization that has no time for dead weight that literally brought the place down. One of the pros is the elimination of the dead weight that like the proverbial albatrosses around one's neck.

Cons

Okay, here's the deal: there are a lot of negative reviews that are simply doing a hatchet job on the CEO. To everyone who works at the Endocrine Society it is painfully obvious they are all orchestrated by a former employee who was, in a word, awful: belligerent, rude, disrespectful, classless, etc. That employee was fired and rightfully so. Unfortunately, this individual wields this weird power over friends that are still here. If they're scared -- as one review says -- they should be. Seriously. For years this place was run by an old school "I manage by fear" old guy. He's gone. The new CEO is vibrant and full of energy...more so than most of the employees (myself included). But I do a good job (I have the numbers to prove it) and enjoy my work and coworkers a great deal. I've been allowed to grow and prosper here and unless you're lazy, so will you! Honestly, the main thing that perturbs me about working here is having to take the god-awful DC Metro!

Advice to Management

Ignore the slings and arrows.
    However, having silos is not always a bad thing because some people need to mind their business.

""Not Jaded, party of few""

Current Employee - Office Services Associate in Berwyn Heights, Prince George's, MD

I have been working at Endocrine Society full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The Endocrine Society is in what seems to be the final stages of "shaken tree syndrome" after having a CEO change. People hate change. However, it's the only constant one is going to find in life. The sooner one decides to ride (instead of fight), that current, the more adept at flight to new heights one will be. As for the new CEO, she's been here for two years now and the last two years have been our most profitable to date. On a personal level, she has a high enough emotional IQ to want input from All employees, a strong enough constitution to change her mind upon elucidation of new facts, and she has a hell of a good sense of humor or I would have been fired over a year ago with my office humor shenanigans. I guess I like the big boss. I don't fear her because I know if I do my job well, I won't need to.Nuff said!

Cons

Downtown traffic is a hateful, nightmare of a hot mess! If you're going to drive here, I recommend practicing in Mexico, Italy or Japan first. Then it will only seem an irritant.

Advice to Management

This question is currently past my scope.

"I could not disagree more with negative comments"

Current Employee - Manager in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Manager in Washington, DC

Pros

I believe that the Endocrine Society had done very well over the past many years. But I also believe that it had grown to a point and needed new leadership to spark new growth. The new CEO has sparked that new growth and is making decisions as a CEO should do. Not everyone believed in the new vision of the CEO and they have left of their own accord or in other situations were terminated.

If you want to work in a company where you want mediocre to be accepted, then this isn't the place for you. If you want to work for a company where excellence is encouraged and sought after then you will fit right in.

One last thought - Our new CEO is completely approachable and easy to talk to. In my opinion the office politics are much less a factor than before and if I guess right some of the people who have said negative things about the Society say so because they didn't want or think they needed to change. While I am sure there are some staff still looking for other jobs, I am sure it is a small number.

Cons

Yes, there are changes happening. But business models and directions require change to remain relevant.

Advice to Management

I never blindly follow anyone but I am willing to follow a proven leader in the direction of the future. I hope the current management can do the same.

"Don't bother, just apply elsewhere"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at Endocrine Society (More than 5 years)

Pros

Nice offices, good benefits, good people, strong mission

Cons

New CEO is taking the organization in a questionable direction. Many senior staff have left and most of the staff left behind are looking. I got out recently and am glad I did. Pretty toxic environment so if you're going to apply, have a strong stomach for office politics.

Advice to Management

Stop talking and listen.

"Erratic New leadership"

Former Employee - Chief Executive Officer in Rosslyn, VA
    Former Employee - Chief Executive Officer in Rosslyn, VA

I worked at Endocrine Society full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great mission, Dedicated members, smart staff, good location, excellent benefits, healthy finacial staetments, interesting medical field, very current technology and facility

Cons

There was a clear mission and strategic plan for a long time but now the new CEO is erratic and inconsistent. She has fired or forced out many of the staff leaders who were responsible for a huge growth over a lot of years. there is poor attention to the business and a lot of attention to 'spin' and soundbites, but little substance. bad trend line.

Advice to Management

Board should change leadership

10. "Endocrine Society"

Current Employee - Specialist in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Specialist in Washington, DC

I have been working at Endocrine Society full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Smart, passionate people doing interesting work. Nice offices, flexible work hours, great benefits. Dedicated and intelligent member-leaders who recognize and value good work. Opportunity to have new ideas and implement them.

Cons

Opaque and obstructive process for performance reviews and promotions, especially when it comes to compensation. Continual slashing of "bonuses" and pay raises despite good financial performance. Outdated ideas about time scheduling, teleworking, and hierarchy.

Advice to Management

Old-fashioned work culture is holding the company back. Let go of outdated ideas about meetings, promotions, and telecommuting to reap the benefits of higher productivity.

"All smart people don't stay long"

Former Employee - Publications in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Publications in Washington, DC

I worked at Endocrine Society full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent benefits package (especially the retirement); flexible work schedule; great new office; ample accrued leave and holidays; new executive director with great ideas and visions

Cons

Too many silos; managers need people skills, communication training and basic office etiquette; upper management feigns ignorance to issues; lower level staff members work extremely hard and are paid to low wages; horrible performance management evaluation; no clarity on what is expected from employees; HR department is clueless and not there to support staff, only listens to upper management; no trust among staff in almost all departments. Some senior staff members are clueless about the day to day and have direct reports doing all their work; get rid of the bullies who create hostile work environment

Advice to Management

Changes to a select few staff (upper management), then things should smooth out. Get a better, trustworthy HR department; stop hiring puppets

Take time to groom, develop and grow staff within; LISTEN to staff and address issues accordingly.