EnerNOC Reviews | Glassdoor

4.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
EnerNOC Chairman and CEO Tim Healy
Tim Healy

Pros
  • The people are high-calibre and are united on a mission I care deeply about - to change the way the world uses energy (in 18 reviews)

• Amazing culture of bright, passionate people who want to change the way the world uses energy (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Employees are so passionate about the work that they sometimes don't ensure work/life balance by setting boundaries for work time (in 17 reviews)

• Very misguided upper management (in 13 reviews)

"Great place to fast track your career"

I have been working at EnerNOC full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Young, innovative culture; smart, talented people; mission driven: changing the way the world uses energy; focus on developing internal talent and promoting from within; great career growth opportunities for high performers; meritocracy

Cons

The energy industry is very dynamic right now, and EnerNOC has had to remain nimble to adapt to the evolving market. This has led to some strategy shifts. If you don't like the ups and downs that comes with trying to change a stodgy old industry then EnerNOC might not be the place for you.

2. "Sales"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Boston, MA

I have been working at EnerNOC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Great Commission Plan - a high 6 figure OTE is possible
    - EnerNOC has the best products in the industry which is a major advantage when selling them
    - It feels like you are working for a .ORG but with .COM pay

Cons

-Long Hours
    -Fast-paced environment which can change quickly, some people dislike that

Advice to Management

Keep up the transparency, missions and vision

3. "Feel like a founder"

Current Employee - Leadership in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Leadership in Boston, MA

I have been working at EnerNOC full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

EnerNOC is in the vanguard of a diverse group of companies that are shifting how energy is conceptualized and managed. What's unique, or at least special, about working at EnerNOC is having the ability to learn, stumble, rise up, and ultimately succeed in an area of rapid change.

Few people are able to enjoy the intensity of having challenges, setbacks, and victories all in one quarter without going all-in and starting their own company in a developing industry. Working at EnerNOC provides the excitement of being smack in the middle of a rapidly-evolving market.

A few more tangible pros:

- Strong comp plans
    - Committed teams
    - Ability to participate in decision-making

Cons

Every place has some downsides, but none of them at EnerNOC are atypical.

Advice to Management

Build your way to the growth we all want to enjoy.

5. "Incredible place to work"

I have been working at EnerNOC full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

If you are ambitious and want to work with others that are at the top of their game then EnerNOC is the place for you. They recognize talent and you are judged on the merit of your work. Your ideas are always heard and if you can impact the organization for the better you will be given an opportunity to do so. To change the way the world uses energy, EnerNOC brings together some of the best talent I've seen. It is nice to be apart of something that is so inspiring.

Cons

Not that it is a con per se but change is something you should anticipate. New programs and offerings are constantly being uncovered and as such the organization needs to be very nimble.

6. "Finance Intern"

Former Intern - Finance Intern in Boston, MA
    Former Intern - Finance Intern in Boston, MA

I worked at EnerNOC as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Environment with friendly people.

Cons

Company was going through rough times

7. "Great Future"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at EnerNOC full-time

Pros

Our team has great coworkers with intellectual capital, tools to support work tasks. Great Baltimore team.

Cons

Unclear business model and future direction.

8. "Data Operations Co-Op"

Former Intern - Co-Op in Franklin, MA
    Former Intern - Co-Op in Franklin, MA

I worked at EnerNOC as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

Interesting work, great people, lots of perks. They work to keep employees happy. The company greatly encourages both teaching and learning from your co-workers.

Cons

Work piles up quickly, and you need to be able to keep up and prioritize. Upper management can occasionally seem out of touch with the boots on the ground.

9. "A Great Learning Environment for Self-Driven Individuals"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Allston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Allston, MA

I worked at EnerNOC full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great professional environment, where it is casual enough to remove the stiff formality that might stifle innovation, proactive communication or just learning about other people's jobs/responsibilities. Co-workers are generally great: very willing to help, are driven to the best work possible, and are willing to connect with others. Most of the managers I've had take great interest in their team members, and make the time for communication, planning and professional/personal development. The work-environment tends to be pretty open, yet maintains an appropriate level of professionalism because everyone tends to be so results-oriented. I couldn't have asked for a better work environment for one of my professional work experiences.

Cons

Lack of transparency (from higher-management levels), inadequate resources (for work) and miscommunication or lack of communication regarding organizational change can be disorienting.

In general, EnerNOC is a place where change is a constant- which is a con for some, but also just an intrinsic part of an organization that is constantly looking inward to reassess how to do things better; in many ways, the constant process improvement and desire to improve is part of what makes EnerNOC such a great place to work.

Advice to Management

Higher levels: increased communication with employees, that sounds less like an investor presentation and more like genuine communication with team members.
    Mid-lower level management: Not much - most of my experiences with direct managers was awesome, and I couldn't ask for much more.

"The Future of Energy Management"

Current Employee - Sales in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Sales in Boston, MA

I have been working at EnerNOC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Company is on the cutting edge of energy management
    People are smart and cool and lots of stuff to do together
    Pay is good and the building is beautiful
    Good Learning opportunities

Cons

Fast paced learn or burn environment. You need to be able to swim to work here, no swimmies provided.

Advice to Management

Take the lead and let us all know where we are going so we can help get you there.

"Challenging, Fun, Exciting, Caring, Good, Honest, Respectful, Beneficial"

Current Employee - Engineer in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Boston, MA

I have been working at EnerNOC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I care where I work and who I work with because that is where I spend most of my time. I choose to work at Enernoc because of the type of people, culture and company it is made up of. There are many places to work in Boston and a lot of them have great space, cool offices, free food etc but not all of them believe in trying to make the world a better place. Do good, Feel good. Now thats a motto :)

Cons

Not everything runs like clockwork. At times change can be bumpy but you either change or die so I am glad that we try to survive.

Advice to Management

Remember you have a lot of people depending on you so dont make decisions in a vacuum.