EnerNOC Reviews | Glassdoor

EnerNOC Reviews

Updated June 27, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The people are high-calibre and are united on a mission I care deeply about - to change the way the world uses energy (in 18 reviews)

• Amazing culture of bright, passionate people who want to change the way the world uses energy (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Employees are so passionate about the work that they sometimes don't ensure work/life balance by setting boundaries for work time (in 17 reviews)

• Very misguided upper management (in 13 reviews)

"Formerly great place to work"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Boston, MA

I worked at EnerNOC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are lots of technology choices that you can use to build a decent resume. Costs to help you succeed are rarely in question, and there's some pretty good people at the company.

Cons

Payment is on the low side, management is mostly clueless and not interested in doing anything about lack of product direction or customers, just had massive layoffs, everything at the company is a fire drill. We need a new product? 6 months and an arbitrary deadline, no ifs or buts about it.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees and their complaints. Give up on EIS. All of the sales people are gone, there's still no customers, and there's no product or future there. Double down on DR.

"It was great in the beginning"

Former Employee - Quality Assurance Engineer in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Quality Assurance Engineer in Boston, MA

I worked at EnerNOC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- The atmosphere was awesome and you get to work with some really smart people in their fields.
    - Open PTO policy
    - Easy ability to work from home

Cons

- Projects are not always well thought out
    - Communication directly from upper management was not always clear
    - Growth within the company has slowed down

Advice to Management

- Try setting more realistic goals.
    - For new, non Demand Response products try leveraging just one large existing customer for beta rather than selling/promising a product to multiple customers and setting unrealistic delivery dates.

"Be ready for change"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boise, ID
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boise, ID

I worked at EnerNOC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The number one reason I loved working at EnerNOC was the people. They were bright, committed, caring, and for the most part, decent people. I enjoyed coming to work everyday and pushing myself to the edge of my abilities. It was an opportunity that I'll always be grateful for, and I learned a ton.

Cons

Sales are not so good, and they underwent a RIF in September 2016. It was a shame to see such talent walk out the door.

Advice to Management

My manager was great. He did the best he could. Executives do not communicate with management, and that's concerning.

"tough times"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at EnerNOC full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great talent and mission to change the way the world uses energy. Software product is developing well with positive feedback from companies that embrace energy management. Data and analytics are a strength. World's leading demand response provider.

Cons

Slow revenue growth, high costs, complexity and market maturity in the software business. With recent layoffs in software business, culture has taken a major hit. Expect talented staff who remains may leave on their own.

Advice to Management

Uncertainty about future plans for the business are having negative impact on staff. Provide more guidance about strategy and provide opportunities for next generation of leaders to step up.

"Developer"

Former Employee - Software Developer
    Former Employee - Software Developer

I worked at EnerNOC (More than a year)

Pros

Good team, interesting domain to work in

Cons

Constant change of direction, lack of transparency from upper management.

6. "Great work environment!"

Current Employee - Operations Intern in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Operations Intern in Boston, MA

Pros

- Lots of cross collaboration and an emphasis on improving the way things are done
    - Obvious effort to provide employees with a comfortable and desirable work environment (free food, social activities, well equipped work spaces)

Cons

- Growing pains leave some products under developed

Advice to Management

Continue to encourage employees to question why/how things are done

7. "Great Benefits and Culture"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Nampa, ID
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Nampa, ID

I worked at EnerNOC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Steady pace to get a project done, ample time to plan things out, and the ability to make adjustments as you go. Many teams are great to work with and are always willing to collaborate.

Cons

Contrarily, some projects are given too much time and grow out of control, many projects aren't planned out, and some concepts aren't adjusted even if it's going in the wrong direction. Some teams are isolated and do things their own way.

Advice to Management

The most critical projects seemed to be done "barring no expense" and did not constrain the solution, which caused them struggle to provide business value. However, when the projects were less important, the focus on limiting resource spend forced a focus on maintaining business value.

"Energy Advisor"

Former Employee - Energy Advisor in Oceanside, CA
    Former Employee - Energy Advisor in Oceanside, CA

I worked at EnerNOC (More than a year)

Pros

High Energy Teams with lots of high performers all working towards a sustainable future.

Cons

Management at the top made terrible acquisitions and didn't understand the software of the problems with the software.

Advice to Management

Rebuild the software so its user friendly

"great people, no direction"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at EnerNOC (More than a year)

Pros

Enernoc is able to attract fantastic talent. The people I worked with were extremely smart, capable, and motivated. I had the opportunity to work on interesting projects with a very collaborative team and found the culture to be very professional. I have no complaints about the day to day work.

Cons

Management seems to reorganize teams every few months and flip-flops on strategic direction. They cannot plan and execute on longer term projects. Layoffs were handled carelessly, with little communication and a two week severance. Company manages to be extremely petty, even with people they've just laid off.

10. "A Great Learning Environment for Self-Driven Individuals"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Allston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Allston, MA

I worked at EnerNOC full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great professional environment, where it is casual enough to remove the stiff formality that might stifle innovation, proactive communication or just learning about other people's jobs/responsibilities. Co-workers are generally great: very willing to help, are driven to the best work possible, and are willing to connect with others. Most of the managers I've had take great interest in their team members, and make the time for communication, planning and professional/personal development. The work-environment tends to be pretty open, yet maintains an appropriate level of professionalism because everyone tends to be so results-oriented. I couldn't have asked for a better work environment for one of my professional work experiences.

Cons

Lack of transparency (from higher-management levels), inadequate resources (for work) and miscommunication or lack of communication regarding organizational change can be disorienting.

In general, EnerNOC is a place where change is a constant- which is a con for some, but also just an intrinsic part of an organization that is constantly looking inward to reassess how to do things better; in many ways, the constant process improvement and desire to improve is part of what makes EnerNOC such a great place to work.

Advice to Management

Higher levels: increased communication with employees, that sounds less like an investor presentation and more like genuine communication with team members.
    Mid-lower level management: Not much - most of my experiences with direct managers was awesome, and I couldn't ask for much more.