Enercon Services Reviews | Glassdoor

Enercon Services Reviews

Updated Sep 15, 2019

Found 169 reviews

2.4
Enercon Services CEO John Richardson  (no image)
John Richardson
Pros
  • "Working for an employee-owned company makes all the difference It's still a small enough company that you aren't just a number(in 13 reviews)

• "Employee stock option plan contributions are significant(in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • "Middle management shows obvious favoritism, and apart from "big picture" monthly meetings upper management doesn't seem to be involved(in 14 reviews)

• "Nearly all profits still from nuclear industry(in 10 reviews)

"Great place to work, don't believe the haters"

I have been working at Enercon Services full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

ENERCON is an employee owned company and provides consulting services in very competitive markets. This requires efficiency and oversight on multiple levels of project management and engineering supervision. This is due to tight profit margins, and if there is no profit, there is no reason for the company to exist... Are you interested in having opportunities? This is the place for you. Want to carve out your own... path? Come on over. Want to sit at your desk all day and wait for someone to tell you what to do or surf the internet all day? Maybe you should consider a different spot. Have a lot of experience and feel you should be rewarded for it and not have to do much other than tell someone a few times a day how experienced you are? You'll be the problem here and why one day someone will write a scathing review on this site. Over the long run you will get out what you put in here. You are the only asset this company has. It doesn't make money while you sleep, so it's not going to be like Google. We serve demanding clients and balance that with the wants and needs of our own staff. The company is undergoing a culture shift and it's not going to happen overnight. However, you can be empowered to make change happen and as an employee owned company, you have a great opportunity to be rewarded for it in your career. Since the day I started here I've consistently heard from my complaints and when I've been the one whining, "Well... How would you do it then?" That's not being disingenuous, people really want to know. For the most part, the leadership does the best way that they know how to do things based on their experience. Many are open to change and good ideas. Some other pros are the people at this company. The majority of people will drop everything they are doing to pitch in. That's been huge for me in my career. The company has been focused over the last year at listening to employees and making changes. Some examples are moving to an alternate work schedule (every other Friday off), promoting product line development, loosening up the restrictions in a number of policies and procedures, providing more tools for productivity, and providing a multi level leadership development program. This is a good company and not even close to being one in financial distress. I've been with this company over a decade and I can't remember one quarter where we were even close to losing money.

Cons

Some of the incentive programs could use a refresh. Gainshare has been spotty the last few years as we've reorganized and changed our vision. This has driven negativity into monthly presentations because people lose track of reaching stretch goals vs. how we've maintained profitability even in the face of adversity. Still have some poor leaders in spots that create divisiveness in the organization although many... have been driven out or have changed to a production role where their impact is minimized. Clearly we haven't communicated well with former or current employees based on their outlandish and ridiculous negative reviews on this website. Don't believe all the negativity you read here. Unfortunately tough decisions have to be made when running a business based on market conditions, locations of your business, and many others. It stinks that many people had a bad experience but there are over a thousand employees at this company still and the majority of them would be happy to tell you many positives about their experience but they just don't see it worth it, like the few dozen who get on this site and trash this company.

Advice to Management

Keep up the changes. Love our diversification plan as we invest outside of Nuclear. I've got a long way to go in my career and I am happy with the direction. Thank you to the new executive leadership for listening to the employees. Please continue to make necessary changes in lower and middle management to find better and more effective leaders.

Enercon Services2019-09-15
  2. "Diversifying and growing"

Current Employee - Current Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Enercon Services full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Challenging work, good pay plus ownership

Cons

Lots of overtime recently in several divisions.

Advice to Management

Keep every other Friday off.

Enercon Services2019-09-13
  3. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Enercon Services full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

100% Employee Owned so great employee accountably and really great stock options. Dynamic and challenging work environment. Consulting allows us to solve client problems and complete projects they would not be able to do alone.

Cons

Consulting is not for everyone: Watching applied time can harm morale and there can be times where there's too much work and time when there's too little, both can cause stress.

Advice to Management

Steady hand on the tiller as we this or business areas. We will come through stronger.

Enercon Services2019-08-19
  4. "Pretty Mediocre"

Former Employee - Nuclear Engineer in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Enercon Services full-time for more than a year

Pros

Nice people, good atmosphere, and ESOP is good.

Cons

Company cut jobs very short notice.

Enercon Services2019-08-05
  5. "Electrical Engineer III"

Current Employee - Electrical Engineer III

I have been working at Enercon Services full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Lots of young co-workers. Friendly environment.

Cons

Management cuts proposal numbers in order to win jobs, yet leave razor thin margins on the project. The engineers who create the fee estimate know the effort it takes to complete a project much better than upper management.

Enercon Services2019-07-24

"A company of liars that is in financial distress"

I have been working at Enercon Services full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Make a good salary for minimal effort

Cons

Management, both middle and upper, will lie to your face about your prospects on being promoted. You will be told you are in the succession plan and that the next management position that opens up is yours only to be notified that someone else was chosen. The majority of middle management is incompetent and upper management is out of touch. This company really is a good OLD boys club and constantly hires and... overpays old guys with nuclear industry experience just because at one point in life they may have worked at a nuclear plant. When you are hired, you will told about the company's growth, bonus program, and stock program. The growth ended a while ago and layoffs have been happening regularly for a few years now. Gain share (the quarterly bonus) is non-existent as in the last SEVERAL quarters have been $0 or insultingly small. And the stock is a manipulated number on paper that is worthless unless you can get vested and get paid out before the company runs out of money. Lastly, any good reviews you see on this site are from HR or from management (who HR told to write good reviews to get the score up). Don't ruin your career by coming to work here. Working here is the worst decision I've made and I plan to fix that in the near future by leaving as soon as I can. Maybe at my next job when they say you're in the succession plan for leadership, they will actually be telling the truth and not just feeding you some line to keep you complacent.

Advice to Management

Stop lying about advancement prospects and the company's financial position.

Enercon Services2019-08-02

"Company Is Declining"

Current Employee - Senior Mechanical Engineer in Kennesaw, GA

I have been working at Enercon Services full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

ESOP has historically outperformed 401(k) plans. Company was advertised as “family” and hired selectively for the long term, at least that is what I was told in my hiring interview.

Cons

ENERCON has become top heavy. Excessive management overhead. ENERCON is focused on profit to the extent that we play games to appear to maintain high levels of applied time. Clients ultimately pay for these game. The management I deal with never accepts blame or any responsibility for mistakes. Always places blame on subordinates. Management is not trustworthy and uses the performance review process as... negative motivation. ENERCON plays games to appear to have low overhead. We have been directed to maintain applied time by using any unapplied staff on projects with available billable hours irrespective of efficiency or needs. We change our time reporting at management direction to “minimize” unapplied time.

Advice to Management

New CEO needs to decide if he wants to ride off in the retirement sunset or nurture his company. Note: Founding CEO John Richardson has retired. I cannot in good conscience recommend ENERCON as a employer. I have over 35 years of experience in the nuclear power industry as an engineer and supervisor. The new CEO needs to lead.

Enercon Services2019-07-22

"Worst Professional Experience of My Career"

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Kennesaw, GA

I have been working at Enercon Services full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Work is challenging. Able to interface and build relationships with client personnel. Some really good engineers and technical specialists work for ENERCON.

Cons

ENERCON has grown beyond its capabilities and generally does not treat employees like a valuable resource that they need long-term. It is not the same company today as it was 3-5 years ago, and that is not a good thing. Gainshare bonuses are basically nonexistent, and the ESOP benefit really means nothing when most employees don't stick around long enough to be vested. The proposal process is a desperate... attempt to get EVERY project to keep employees billable, even if engineering estimates and schedules are impossible to actually work within one awarded. Focus is on appeasing clients with unrealistically low project cost (usually some target cost a manager decides on despite detailed estimating). Engineers are then expected to routinely work excessive uncompensated hours on a regular basis while blaming the engineers for going over budget. Proposals can take months to develop, and when contracts are finally awarded there will be a fraction of the planned schedule left to complete the work by a hard deadline. Working to aggressive (almost impossible) schedules has become the rule rather than the exception. Sometimes there is paid overtime, but that is usually reserved for lower level engineers. Supervisors and some senior / lead engineers routinely work 60 or 70 hours a week (sometimes more) for months just to keep up. Unfortunately base salaries are not high enough to justify such long hours, and bonuses are nonexistent. Management within some divisions is utterly incompetent and cruel. Blame for every error or project issue falls down on lower levels without acknowledging the widespread systematic problems that are the common cause of many issues. Management and supervision is so wrapped up in endless hours of meetings to report on productivity and proposal development that they don't pay enough attention to ensuring engineers have the resources they need or helping to actually solve technical problems before it is too late. Many project managers have no clue what is going on with their projects other than monitoring dollars every day, and dump their responsibilities onto engineers. The PM's even have access PM assistants who handle many of the admin activities. If anything goes wrong on a project, the PMs and division management immediately find engineers to blame/punish while PMs tend to get away with their incompetence. There are some really good PMs who are very engaged, and it is a huge relief working on a project with them as opposed to the others. Within engineering there are good engineers, and a lot of really really bad engineers. If you are a good engineer and a "work horse" you will be run into the ground because you end up compensating for those who are not able to do the work or who are not willing to put in extra hours that are expected. I have seen some really incompetent mid-level engineers who have become experts at delegating almost everything down to junior engineers with minimal oversight, and then take praise for good work but refuse to be held responsible when there are technical or quality issues. I have seen people thrown under the bus by one of these engineers when extreme quality issues came to light and they felt threatened as a performance discussion with them approached. Overall, this environment is toxic and drives good employees to leave the first chance they get. If you stick around, it is mostly self-promotion and politics to be successful.

Advice to Management

Focus on creating a positive work environment. Employees sacrifice a lot to make projects successful, and they are your most valuable resource. People come to a job every day to support their family and work to build a good life for themselves, not to be run into the ground. Generally everyone wants to do a good job and be successful in their career, quit making it so hard to actually make that happen. In the... long run ENERCON will have better, more productive workforce.

Enercon Services2019-06-29

"Good ol' boys game"

I have been working at Enercon Services full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Work with some decent people. Difficult to get fired so you can collect a paycheck even with minimum effort if that's your game.

Cons

You don't matter if you aren't sitting on the 4th floor. Females are compensated less than less qualified male employees. Senior Management sets unrealistic expectations and acts like the engineers are setting the world on fire when they address us once a month. I should have listened to all the poor reviews before I started working here, they were all true.

Enercon Services2019-06-13

"It's Ok"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kennesaw, GA

I worked at Enercon Services full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Some co-workers and managers were awesome to work with.

Cons

Always after you for not having billable hours. No room to grow and no option to work from home for lower-level employees.

Advice to Management

Practice what you preach.

Enercon Services2019-03-25