Energy Transfer Partners Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
Energy Transfer Partners Chairman and CEO Kelcy L. Warren
Kelcy L. Warren

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great benefits, they were good about putting family first, (in 8 reviews)

• The atmosphere is surprisingly laid back for such a big company (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • At times can be less structured due to pace at which the company has grown (in 3 reviews)

• No cons, great company to work for (in 3 reviews)

1. "A great paying if your willing to put the work in"

I have been working at Energy Transfer Partners full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good pay, great benefits, large company to move around within.

Cons

ETP is merging with Sunoco Logistics at this time. I am hopeful ETP with will be a good place to advance. However, with Sunoco, it has hard to get pass the nepotism, and not just family, but managers' friends as well. There are plenty of advancement opportunities, it is just being able to take advantage of them that is difficult.

Advice to Management

If the hard working people do not see a way to move up and advance they will eventually leave.

2. "Accountant Refined Products, SPLLC Finance"

I have been working at Energy Transfer Partners full-time

Pros

The pays good to start and has good hours.

Cons

No challenge or acknowledgement of hard work. Almost no opportunity for growth.

3. "Good 'ol Boys ( & Girls) Club"

Former Employee - Accountant in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Accountant in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Energy Transfer Partners full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The pay was good, at first.

Cons

The company is full of "apple polishers". Those types of people spend all day chatting it up with management, and in the end, are the people who get promoted. My manager would spend all day away from his/her desk, only to leave early every week to either take his/her kids to classes, or just because. My manager even once scheduled an appointment for a massage at 10:30am?!? He/she habitually came in to work later than me, and left work earlier than me on most days. My manager got away with a lot because she was chummy with the Controller (or anyone else who might have benefited them.)

My manager let me have a good work/life balance for a while. Working from home as needed, tending to appointments and what not, until I went to HR to complain of some issues with him/her. Then everything changed once I brought to light everything he/she was getting away with.

Needless to say at this company, if you "go with the flow" when you're manager is getting away with murder, you'll be good. BUT go against your manager, and face the wrath.

Company cares little about the worker bees, or how much overtime they work, or if the workload is overbearing. Zip your lips if the workload is too much, because that will surely be frowned upon once bonus/merit increases come around.

There's little to no room for advancement. Bonuses and merit increases are a joke. Unless you part the red sea, your work is always considered mediocre.

Advice to Management

Reevaluate your managers. Keep a close eye on them, if you want to see why productivity is down....Get the managers out of meetings and make them accountable too for their workloads.

Seriously, considering changing with the times by truly moving forward with a work/life balance, by permitting more flexible work schedules.

Clean house. You have sooooooo many people (especially managers) abusing company resources for personal use, managers taking advantage of their titles, people claiming to work, when in fact they don't.

Clean house.

4. "Good Pipeline Company"

I have been working at Energy Transfer Partners full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay and benefits. Great work/life balance.

Cons

No challenge. Management is threatened by new ideas or personal initiative. Show too much initiative and you buck the system, management thinks you're after their job, and you become their target. Don't do anything until your supervisor tells you, and you're good as gold.

5. "Engineer"

Pros

Laid back environment, mostly good people and ample opportunity for one person to take on a big load. Steep learning curve at different locations.

Cons

Missing structure/proper process at times, minimal training for new engineers at some locations. Runs very lean on manpower. Minimal cross training.

"Low pay for controllers"

I have been working at Energy Transfer Partners full-time

Pros

Bonus and profit share are good. Overall a good working environment.

Cons

Pay for controllers is below the industry average.

7. "Good Company, Subpar Management"

Former Employee - IT Specialist in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - IT Specialist in Houston, TX

I worked at Energy Transfer Partners full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very good company. I would work there again.

Cons

Subpar Management in place and promotions only occur once a year. Typically 3 years are required for a promotion to the next level.

Advice to Management

The work-life balance leaves much to be desired, but unfortunately the reason why I left was because of the manager in place. The manager took a healthy, productive team, and created a group of adversaries which was considerably less productive.

8. "Good Company"

Current Employee - Accounts Payable Specialist in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Accounts Payable Specialist in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Energy Transfer Partners (More than a year)

Pros

Great co-workers, a lot of team building events

Cons

Seems only friends of management can advance

Advice to Management

Know the skills of each

"Decent paycheck, but not a long term career."

I worked at Energy Transfer Partners full-time

Pros

Benefits package is competitive with other companies.

Cons

Unrealistic expectations for amount of work that can be accomplished by one man. Some job titles work continuously for days on end, catching sleep in their pickups between calls. Production above safety. Management continually lectured about safety, but when there's a choice of safety or production, production wins every time.

Advice to Management

Burning out employees with crazy hours and ridiculous requests means high turnover and a less trained workforce. More mistakes and higher operating costs from equipment damage from poorly trained employees, as well as a more dangerous working environment.

10. "Great compensation poor management"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Energy Transfer Partners full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great pay, people, and benefits.

Cons

Too many mergers, lots of change, not enough time to train and allow employees to adjust. High turnover. Managers always in meetings, not often available for staff.

Advice to Management

Slow the expansion and allow the company to adjust.