Energy Transfer Partners Reviews | Glassdoor

3.8
Energy Transfer Partners Chairman and CEO Kelcy L. Warren
Kelcy L. Warren

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great benefits and offers flex time (in 9 reviews)

• The atmosphere is surprisingly laid back for such a big company (in 6 reviews)

1. "Sr. Project Manager"

I worked at Energy Transfer Partners full-time

Pros

Great place to be a PM. Good people to work with

Cons

None at the present time

2. "Great company"

I have been working at Energy Transfer Partners full-time

Pros

It’s a great work envirnoment

Cons

It is difficult to get paid fairly.

"Marketing"

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Dallas, TX

I worked at Energy Transfer Partners full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good working environment, good people

Cons

Big company with some big company politics

4. "It is a great company but..."

I have been working at Energy Transfer Partners full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits and offers flex time. They do their best trying to take care of their employees when it comes to benefits and holidays. Work and life balance can be great for someone who has 5 weeks of vacation, but as a new employee, you will only have 2 weeks of vacation for 5 yrs. so do not intend on spending much time with your family or personal life. Travel downtown to and from downtown from the suburbs is brutal.

Cons

Reputation in the industry for not paying well and favoritism runs ramped.

Advice to Management

Do your best to retain valuable employees instead of letting your personal feelings about the employee stand in their way of success.

5. "Rapid growth and excellent job security"

I worked at Energy Transfer Partners full-time

Pros

Energy Transfer is a very rapidly growing company that allows IT employees access to a wide array of existing as well as emerging technologies. Pay is near the upper-end of the spectrum with respect to metropolitan area employees

Cons

Some managers are less technical than the position would require resulting in questionable decisions on occasion, but issues resulting from these decisions are usually rectified quickly. Employees tend to be localized to a particular subset of tasks (i.e. a team may have several technologies for which they are responsible but will structure support so that team member A will handle all tickets for technology A and team member B will handle all tickets for technology B etc.) As a result, it is incumbent upon the individual to stay current with respect to technologies that may be within their purview, but they will not have hands-on with as it is assigned to another member of their team.

6. "Pipeline Integrity"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Energy Transfer Partners full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Family driven company, they take care of their people

Cons

merger every year very rapid growth

Advice to Management

NA

7. "ETP Review"

Current Employee - Associate Engineer in Mont Belvieu, TX
    Current Employee - Associate Engineer in Mont Belvieu, TX

I have been working at Energy Transfer Partners full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great culture, great people, great atmosphere, great bonus.

Cons

Somewhat low pay, but the large bonuses help to make up for that.

"We are the Borg, prepare to be assimilated"

Former Employee - Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Energy Transfer Partners full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Most of the people are awesome to work with, with really great ideas and the best of intentions

Cons

They are the Borg. They will buy your company, keep anything they find of value and dispose of the rest. That includes people, processes, facilities or morals. This company has some of the lowest set of character standards I have ever encountered. Cutthroats, liars, thieves and (character) assassins. Being a pirate on the high seas would probably be a more fulfilling role than working for this organization. You are constantly told to produce gold-standard work with a coal-standard budget and then reprimanded for not delivering on time or on budget. This is after the budget you created 18 months before the project was approved was cut to roughly 1/3rd of what was submitted. Work/Life balance does not exist. You are an ET employee 24/7/365. Guess who's on call? Everyone!

Advice to Management

Listen to your people instead of telling them what they need to do. You want everyone to play your game, and then you change the rules every six months when the wind shifts.

9. "A great paying if your willing to put the work in"

I have been working at Energy Transfer Partners full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good pay, great benefits, large company to move around within.

Cons

ETP is merging with Sunoco Logistics at this time. I am hopeful ETP with will be a good place to advance. However, with Sunoco, it has hard to get pass the nepotism, and not just family, but managers' friends as well. There are plenty of advancement opportunities, it is just being able to take advantage of them that is difficult.

Advice to Management

If the hard working people do not see a way to move up and advance they will eventually leave.

"Good 'ol Boys ( & Girls) Club"

Former Employee - Accountant in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Accountant in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Energy Transfer Partners full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The pay was good, at first.

Cons

The company is full of "apple polishers". Those types of people spend all day chatting it up with management, and in the end, are the people who get promoted. My manager would spend all day away from his/her desk, only to leave early every week to either take his/her kids to classes, or just because. My manager even once scheduled an appointment for a massage at 10:30am?!? He/she habitually came in to work later than me, and left work earlier than me on most days. My manager got away with a lot because she was chummy with the Controller (or anyone else who might have benefited them.)

My manager let me have a good work/life balance for a while. Working from home as needed, tending to appointments and what not, until I went to HR to complain of some issues with him/her. Then everything changed once I brought to light everything he/she was getting away with.

Needless to say at this company, if you "go with the flow" when you're manager is getting away with murder, you'll be good. BUT go against your manager, and face the wrath.

Company cares little about the worker bees, or how much overtime they work, or if the workload is overbearing. Zip your lips if the workload is too much, because that will surely be frowned upon once bonus/merit increases come around.

There's little to no room for advancement. Bonuses and merit increases are a joke. Unless you part the red sea, your work is always considered mediocre.

Advice to Management

Reevaluate your managers. Keep a close eye on them, if you want to see why productivity is down....Get the managers out of meetings and make them accountable too for their workloads.

Seriously, considering changing with the times by truly moving forward with a work/life balance, by permitting more flexible work schedules.

Clean house. You have sooooooo many people (especially managers) abusing company resources for personal use, managers taking advantage of their titles, people claiming to work, when in fact they don't.

Clean house.