Energy Transfer Partners Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Energy Transfer Partners Chairman and CEO Kelcy L. Warren
Kelcy L. Warren

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great benefits, they were good about putting family first, (in 8 reviews)

• The atmosphere is surprisingly laid back for such a big company (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • At times can be less structured due to pace at which the company has grown (in 3 reviews)

• No cons, great company to work for (in 3 reviews)

1. "Good 'ol Boys ( & Girls) Club"

Former Employee - Accountant in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Accountant in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Energy Transfer Partners full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The pay was good, at first.

Cons

The company is full of "apple polishers". Those types of people spend all day chatting it up with management, and in the end, are the people who get promoted. My manager would spend all day away from his/her desk, only to leave early every week to either take his/her kids to classes, or just because. My manager even once scheduled an appointment for a massage at 10:30am?!? He/she habitually came in to work later than me, and left work earlier than me on most days. My manager got away with a lot because she was chummy with the Controller (or anyone else who might have benefited them.)

My manager let me have a good work/life balance for a while. Working from home as needed, tending to appointments and what not, until I went to HR to complain of some issues with him/her. Then everything changed once I brought to light everything he/she was getting away with.

Needless to say at this company, if you "go with the flow" when you're manager is getting away with murder, you'll be good. BUT go against your manager, and face the wrath.

Company cares little about the worker bees, or how much overtime they work, or if the workload is overbearing. Zip your lips if the workload is too much, because that will surely be frowned upon once bonus/merit increases come around.

There's little to no room for advancement. Bonuses and merit increases are a joke. Unless you part the red sea, your work is always considered mediocre.

Advice to Management

Reevaluate your managers. Keep a close eye on them, if you want to see why productivity is down....Get the managers out of meetings and make them accountable too for their workloads.

Seriously, considering changing with the times by truly moving forward with a work/life balance, by permitting more flexible work schedules.

Clean house. You have sooooooo many people (especially managers) abusing company resources for personal use, managers taking advantage of their titles, people claiming to work, when in fact they don't.

Clean house.

"Pipeline controller"

Pros

Great atmosphere, relaxed, great group of guys

Cons

Management and salary need improvement

Advice to Management

Be more transparentand consistent across the board

"Just couldn't look at myself in the mirror anymore."

Former Employee - Construction in Grand Forks, ND
    Former Employee - Construction in Grand Forks, ND

Pros

Go home with a paycheck

Cons

Knowing the business is hiring police to brutalize native americans and that the pipeline we are trying to build might contaminate their water supply.

Advice to Management

Start investing in renewable resources and stop pursuing old fossil fuel technology.

"Operations Engineer"

Former Employee - Operations Engineer in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Operations Engineer in Houston, TX

Pros

Nice onsite interview process and STAR questions

Cons

Their HR and engineering management lack communication. I went through interview and accepted a negotiated offer just for it to be reduced 4 days later by $7000.00. I declined it in the end.

Advice to Management

HR and Engineering / Management should communicate better before extending an offer to a prospective employee or during negotiations. Backing out of an offer says a lot about the company reputation.

"Terrible Management"

Current Employee - Accounting in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Accounting in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Energy Transfer Partners full-time

Pros

Company is growing rapidly, not that much to talk about for employees

Cons

Discrimination, seems HR does not care what happened in the workplace.

"SAP Support"

Former Employee - Senior SAP SUPPORT ANALYST in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Senior SAP SUPPORT ANALYST in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Energy Transfer Partners full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great salary, great benefits, serious work.

Cons

Zero communication about progress from management. My upcoming layoff was not communicated with me, and was treated as a firing for some reason. I heard my department was moving to Dallas and I knew I hadn't been with the company long enough to accumulate a severance so I kept asking my manager what would happen to me since I couldn't move to Dallas. She kept avoiding the question and then a week later told me my last day was today and that I hadn't done the work I was hired to do. This was terrible because nothing had been communicated to me prior to this meeting. Very disappointed in this company, had much higher hopes and expectations.

Advice to Management

If you feel someone isn't keeping up, convey the message to them. Let them know where they are lacking so they have insight into where they need to improve. Don't just call them one day to tell them they are fired.

"Expect you to be available 24/7"

I have been working at Energy Transfer Partners full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great health insurance. There really are no other benefits but you have to put a 20 word min. Nothing good

Cons

Managers don't respect that not every employee wants to work 80 hr weeks. I've had three managers in less than a year and each one is worse than the last. I have been told I need to answer my personal cell on weekends. I keep getting more work but no compensation for it.

Advice to Management

Management is creating an environment that is fear based. I spend half my day trying to find a reason I did something 6 months ago. If you had processes and decent management in place you wouldn't have to do that. But they keep promoting people from within that have no clue. It could be an amazing company but management is clueless. People don't quit companies they typically quit the management.

"Once an company where you felt like a member of the family, now one where you are "just an employee"!"

Current Employee - IT Department
    Current Employee - IT Department

I have been working at Energy Transfer Partners full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits are competitive. Company growing in size due to constant acquisitions of other competing companies. Schedule is 8-5 for the most part.

Cons

Since the acquisition of Southern Union, things have changed for the worse. Company has abandoned ALL core values and have inherited the processes and practices of the acquired company. Company has become a them vs us environment and management has no reasonable plan(s) to fix the issues at hand.

When i first started with Energy Transfer, it felt more like a family that a job. The acquisition and changes in IT management has made it feel more like you are just working until they are ready to release you from your position, which now apparently can happen for no reason whatsoever.

Steer clear of this company and what it now claims to offer. New IT management have mastered the art of deception and will lie to your face before turning the table on you.

Advice to Management

Take a closer look at the state of the IT dept instead of depending on the Senior Management to exaggerate a (false) positive outlook.

"ETC IT dept"

Former Contractor - Desktop Support in Houston, TX
    Former Contractor - Desktop Support in Houston, TX

I worked at Energy Transfer Partners as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Travel and team members are good.

Cons

Management. The IT management has no real management style, other than Do as I say, not as I do. The procedures are ALL specific to single incidents. No global procedures. And they are terrible micro managers. If you dont like micro management, then DO NOT work in the IT dept at ETC.

Advice to Management

Put some faith in your employees. In the Houston office, there are several good employees, but the manager there practices micro management, and they have to do everything with his review and permission.