EnergySolutions Reviews | Glassdoor

2.6
EnergySolutions CEO David Lockwood
David Lockwood

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"No opportunity for growth and management makes false promises."

Current Employee - Engineer
    Current Employee - Engineer

I have been working at EnergySolutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I do not think there are any positive things to say.

Cons

Top management to manager do not care about employee self development, they use employee's credential for bidding process but does not support employee to get professional certification or help them maintain their licences. No proper merit raise even if you put extra hours to meet dead lines, performance review system sucks.

Advice to Management

Talk to employee and have a proper plan for career advancement, do not force people to stay in the same job even though they are doing a great job. If there is no career advancement it would be difficult to retain talent. Have proper performance review system and merit raise should be based on performance.

"Not Stable"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richland, WA

I worked at EnergySolutions full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Use to be good place to work, with supportive managers.

Cons

Has changed CEO's 3 times in last 4 years. Went from private, to public, and back to private in 4 years. Constant changes in organization structure. Lousy communication, no support system. Changed focus from client, project, and employee to strictly bottom line. Only concern seems to be any more is making the numbers so management can collect their bonuses.

Advice to Management

Practice what you preach regarding establishing trust. Trust is not something you can gain by forcing your employees to sit through a speed of trust workshop. You need to stop over looking policy and procedures violations from upper management. Establish open and honest communication. Stop cleaning house of all your seasoned long term employees for cheap inexperienced ones just so you can look like you improved your bottom line to get your Bonus.

"Sr Engineer"

I worked at EnergySolutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Only good thing about this work hours as you get every other Friday off

Cons

No growth opportunity, no raise or bonus in the right way. You have to put in lot extra hours and there is compensation for time-off or any other. Senior Management does not value their employees, does communicate well with employees and always showing the false picture.

Advice to Management

Start treating employee as resources not as a cost entity. Have some time of feedback for Senior Management from the employees and you would know what employees think about the senior management. There is clear favoritism in this company and the recent data would indicate why young talent is leaving the company.

"Horrible place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at EnergySolutions full-time

Pros

I cannot think of any pros.

Cons

The upper management doesn't care about the employees. There are no trainings or meetings to discuss employee career path and expectations. The upper management only cares about making money for themselves.

"P.O.S."

Pros

I see no good reason to work for a company the does not care about the devastation you put on a mans family with your corporate buy outs and greed. You have the money and lawyers and time to do what ever you want, without any remorse on what you do.

Cons

Energy Solutions just purchased a small company in Clinton Tennessee. They walked in with their Suits and Lawyers and cut everyone's pay, took their benefits away, and basically said if you don't like it you can leave. One guy lost $7.00 and hour and another $5.00. One guy was even let go because he did not have a GED, been with the company 20 years. This is just another example of Corporate Greed. We are talking about a small town who's average rate of pay is around $9.00 an hour. And most barely make above minimum wage as it is, Everyone was given an employment application and was told they would review it. These people have worked here for years. What a P.O.S.

Advice to Management

Corporate Greed.

"Give this company a pass"

Former Employee - Project Controls Specialist II in Aiken, SC
    Former Employee - Project Controls Specialist II in Aiken, SC

I worked at EnergySolutions full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Decent pay, Decent benefits
    ES employs some truly brilliant people, and, when you find them, they are wonderful to work with.

Cons

There are a lot of nitpicky cons I could write (like an underfunded IT department), but really there is only one thing you need to know: the management is horrible. The other reviews about management are spot on and I will not rehash here, but let me give a couple examples of our "leadership":

1) ES had won a job and towards the end of the job they "realized" that they were over by about 60% (i.e. spent $16 million to make $10 million). I worked with a group to figure out why and how to recover and we basically found out that it was due to fraud and mismanagement. When we brought it out with the senior manager in charge he basically said "Yeah, I knew about it, I just didn't want to get involved" (and, Yes, he is still with the company)

2) ES recently when through some layoffs, and I happen to know of a small group that was laid off but still has work that needs to be done. So now they have to bring back the people they just laid off as consultants at 3x their original pay rate. Upper management could have just moved the group to the correct budget, but instead decided to just lay off people in the budgets that needed reduced without any consideration of how it affects the company.

That is only a couple of examples, and it might make one think that maybe it is just a couple of bad managers, but having worked with every division in the company as well as corporately, I can tell you that this level of incompetence is the standard of the company, not an exception. Across the board, you see over and over choices being made that are not in the best interest of the company, but rather in the best interest of the managers making their bonus numbers.

Advice to Management

Current management is hopeless (no amount of advice could possibly help them), ES needs to get actual managers

"Employee have no value"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richland, WA

Pros

They have no prescription to speak of.

Cons

They don't put any value to any of their employees. Everyone is fair game to be dumped if you come between upper management and their Bonuses. I was pat of a mass long term employee dump so that the current Ceo could get his 13 million dollar bonus. Loyalty to the company mentioned nothing !

"Poor Culture"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oak Ridge, TN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oak Ridge, TN

Pros

Good work life balance, some really exceptional mid-level managers, many hardworking employees.

Cons

Managed top down old school style by old boys club with plenty of cronyism and nepotism. Seems to be a turn and burn operation to benefit a few fat cats at the top. Bad attitude and poor work ethic in some departments - can't much blame them under the circumstances.....

Advice to Management

Sell it "already" to someone with a long-term plan and management skills. The few remaining good employees would like to turn it around and stay employed.

"Process tech 3"

Pros

Thinking of any but I can't think of any . Was there 7 years and cannot give any cause there was none

Cons

Management lies to workers, Layoffs are always. Just a bad company to work for.....

Advice to Management

Tell the truth , treat your workers with common sense. Your workers make your company

"No Loyalty to Employees"

Former Employee - Chemical Engineer in Richland, WA
    Former Employee - Chemical Engineer in Richland, WA

I worked at EnergySolutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The work was very secure, I was never concerned about losing my job. The hours are flexible. Decent pay, decent benefits.

Cons

It was a horribly mismanaged bore the whole time I worked there. I had three managers and not one of them was concerned about my lack of workload despite me asking regularly. The status quo is to work slow - make more money for the company. To top it off, they sold us to a different company, then refused to pay us the bonus that we had earned the previous year. David Lockwood CEO just dismissed the idea of giving us a bonus as if it was a joke! If they get the chance to save a buck, they'll do it at the expense of the employee.

Advice to Management

Manage more.