Engage121 Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.3
Jon Victor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Perfect for someone that doesn't settle a 9-5 kind of job and wants to succeed and be challenged to be better everyday"

Current Employee - Social Media Account Executive in Norwalk, CT
    Current Employee - Social Media Account Executive in Norwalk, CT

I have been working at Engage121 full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Healthy Mondays, Junk Food Wednesday, and Breakfast Fridays are truly the best!

Lucy, the office dog is such a stress reliever and an absolute delight to see at work everyday.

Working with this small but dedicated team has truly been a wonderful experience. If you are looking for a position that you can leave as soon as it hits 5:30pm, you probably won't be so happy here. Since I have been with the firm, I have seen everyone stay after to finish doing their work. There has to be passion behind everything you do for this firm and it honestly does pay off.

Overall, the people are wonderful, everyone works hard, and we have fun in the process. I highly recommend this place if you are looking to work hard, learn a lot, and also want to be surrounded by a supportive group of staff.

Cons

Can be stressful like any other sales position due to quotas and wanting to do your best but there is great patience and encouragement from the VP of Sales.

It's a social media marketing firm so some of the changes when it comes to social media are out of our control but I find the client services team tends to be very attentive when it comes to handling the changes.

"I've been here a long time..."

Current Employee - Client Services
    Current Employee - Client Services

I have been working at Engage121 full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I've seen people come and go, and a core group of very smart people are leading the way. No boredom - dynamic, interesting work. It is a place for grownups - independent workers who want to take control. Management style has change significantly since I started here, and the size and style of the company encourages employees who want responsibility, and have the desire to make their position more effective. You have the opportunity, everyday, to actively shape the product and processes.

Cons

It is not a place where you will be comfortable if you have 'work a day' habits. It is a small company, so flexibility is needed.

Advice to Management

Keep encouraging everyone to take on more responsibility. Positive reinforcement goes a long way.

3. "So much wasted potential"

I worked at Engage121 full-time

Pros

Really innovative product. Superb technology development team. Nice office with free meals 3x week. The office manager (CEO's wife) is a really wonderful person.

Cons

The CEO is brilliant but incredibly volatile; one minute he loves you and the next he's yelling at you or slapping the table in front of you. Strategies, and responsibilities, change weekly and often without notice. If you take advantage of PTO you really pay for it both before and after.

Advice to Management

Step back and let your lieutenants run the business. You'll get better results and have much lower turnover.

"Abandon hope all ye who work here!"

I worked at Engage121 full-time

Pros

Location of office is good and there is a nice cafeteria.

Cons

Where to begin. The overall environment is toxic, everyone walks on egg shells as not to insure the wrath and verbal abuse of the CEO, which is constant. The CEO tries hard to convince everyone that he has to be the smartest one in the room. Spoiler alert! he isn't and as a result is compromising the company's goals and objectives. It doesn't help that the product they are selling is fair at best. Stay away, you can do better

Advice to Management

Trust and let your employees use their talent an experience to get the job done. they will come through for you if you just leave them alone.

"Great people but discouraging upper management"

Pros

My colleagues and peers were great. The product concept was innovative and provided good background on software development experience. The office itself was nice and easily accessible from the merritt parkway.

Cons

The atmosphere was often tense. You felt like you would be scrutinized by upper management at a moments notice for something you didn't do. You knew it was going to be a bad day when you walked it, many people had anxiety and felt as if they were walking on egg chells

Advice to Management

Please let middle management manage their people, leadership rolls down hill. An employee should not be confused between what their direct manager is telling them and what the CEO is telling them - everyone needs to be on the same page.

"Absolutely Awful Place To Work"

Pros

NONE. NONE. NONE. NONE. NONE.

Cons

Don't be fooled by the "fake reviews" they are paying people to create. This place is the most dysfunctional company you will ever come in contact with. If you enjoy being emotionally abused and disrespected then you should work here.

Advice to Management

Treat people (employees and customers) like people and stop using them as punching bags to make yourselves feel better. Disgusting.

"Run away..."

I worked at Engage121 full-time

Pros

There are a few genuinely nice people in the company.

Cons

Bullying, intimidation and screaming are daily occurrences. If you're adept at walking on eggshells, you might be lucky enough to survive for a while. But make a mistake and enter the CEO's crosshairs and you're done.

"Great environment to work."

I have been working at Engage121 (More than 5 years)

Pros

I recently learned of this website and thought I'd come over to see what people were saying about my company. I was really surprised to see that so many were unhappy here. While I haven't been here as long as most, I have never experienced anything but professional behavior from everyone, including the CEO.

Cons

I suspect these negative comments were written by current and ex employees who didn't get their way and chose to lash out anonymously...how childish. Also, most of what is written is either exaggerated or completely wrong.

Advice to Management

I couldn't be happier here. This is a small company. The CEO has passion and commitment. He is always available to his employees. Most of the employees have been here between 5 and 15 years. How bad could it be?

"Think before you join"

I worked at Engage121 full-time

Pros

Some nice, hard-working junior staff. Plenty of parking.

Cons

Wish I had known about this site when I was leaving another good job to join this company. That is the only reason I am writing this review to save someone else from making a mistake.

Like a hamster on a wheel you will toil away but never get anywhere. This pretty much sums up this company too as there is no real vision or strategy but lots of effort is made every day by some nice people. Lots of big talk of "someday" while the competition cruises by. Just think, you could be somewhere else where someday actually comes true.

As for free lunch and coffee, I could have cared less about that or the other trappings (redoing the office etc.) much rather buy my own lunch and work really hard for a company with a strong outlook, energy and chance of financially rewarding its employees in a meaningful way. When I was there most employees left after realizing they were wasting their time.

As for CEO passion mentioned in other reviews, unfortunately passion does not translate into knowledge, competency or capability. There is a lack of understanding of modern business practices and how to run a company and motivate staff today (not 30 years ago).

The environment is awful...took me some time to realize just how bad. Made me wonder if the employees knew that this was NOT normal even at small companies. Belittling people...screaming, backstabbing...you name it. An overall attitude that staff were not trusted to work hard...paranoia... Silly small company stuff goes on too like nepotism.

Could go on but I think you get the picture. Hopefully this helps you make a good decision

Advice to Management

Not sure any advice is going to help...study other companies to learn how they are run may be starting point. Stop preaching and start learning.

"An Astounding Amount of Incompetence"

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative

I worked at Engage121 full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Work-life balance is good. Benefits are ok. Compensation is ok.

Cons

- The expectations are unrealistic:

Sales goals are set too high without allowing for ramp-up.

- Unorganized and unstructured:

The job description and interview promissed a steady amount of new leads per month. This fact was crucial for inside sales reps to achieve their monthly targeted. Not only was this promisse not delivered, the company launched into a desperate attemp to penetrate markets that weren't previously tested, while still holding reps accoutable to the same monthly targets

Advice to Management

Motivate your team and treat them with respect. Deliver on your promisses or don't promisse. Always plan and organize ahead of time.