Engage121 Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

1.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Jon Victor

"A good fit for the right person"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norwalk, CT

I have been working at Engage121 full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The group that is employed now at Engage121 is a solid team that enjoys working together. Many co-workers go above and beyond, and are rewarded for their efforts. Others, who are good workers but in the wrong role are often re-assigned to a more fitting role, not terminated.

Sometimes the hours are long, and the job is very demanding, which I like. If I didn't, I would work in a small company environment, especially one that has a "start-up" feel.

The CEO demands perfection. I have the same expectation of my peers, and hope they have that of me as well. At the same time, the CEO is quite fair. It is not uncommon for people to receive raises out of the blue for going above and beyond.

The company is fiscally conservative, which really means that we don't waste money like big companies or those overfunded by investors. Therefore, we don't have to answer to those investors. But when a product or process works, there is plenty of money and support to be thrown at it.

Cons

The downside is the hiring practices are not refined. That has lead to some turnover as well as the hiring of people who are incapable of doing their job. On the bright side, these mistakes are recognized quickly by the candidate or employer and dealt with appropriately.

Advice to Management

More open communication is always helpful. The CEO can be very inspiring, and that is infectious.

Refine the hiring process.

"never a boring moment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norwalk, CT

I have been working at Engage121 full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get free lunches twice a week and there's lots of coffee.

Cons

Where should i begin? first off, if you plan on taking time off, you honestly really better enjoy it with the few days that you do get off. benefits are not that great as they claim. no employee morale at all - if "senior management" (if youd call it that) cant even tell that, then you should not be running a business. software is always breaking. no management what so ever; if you're a favorite you'll get to watch movies and leave early while on a salaried pay check. if you're not a favorite, you will get treated poorly and like you don't know what you're doing. no career advancement - dont even bother wearing nice clothes to work, because they let the favorites wear gym sneakers and sweatshirts. they hire people who cant even type an email without grammatical errors. one big joke.

Advice to Management

Take your blinders off, wake up! stop focusing on the beer keg and do work. the keg probably gets more attention than our clients do. focus on your employee morale and your clients.

"Better opportunities exist"

Former Employee - Client Service in Norwalk, CT
    Former Employee - Client Service in Norwalk, CT

I worked at Engage121 full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some very nice and smart staff. At the time it was a good place to learn social media. If you live in the area it is a convenient location.

Cons

Very high turnover for such a small company. People are not leaving because they are not capable. They leave for better growth opportunities with a real chance for financial reward.

A lot of self praise goes on which makes it hard to understand the competitive marketplace.

Also not a start up - has been around for a long time. Recommend researching the history before joining. Senior management has no knowledge of how to manage people. Agree with review above that it is an unprofessional and dismal environment.

Advice to Management

Take some classes on how to manage people.

"The First Job Offer You will WANT to Turn Down."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norwalk, CT

I worked at Engage121 full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are very few pro's when it comes to E121. The E121 product, to a degree, is the strongest attribute of the company. Candidates, clients and investors beware.

Cons

The management is abusive with no regard or respect for its employees. ZERO moral where everyone literally counts the hours until 5pm. I have never worked at a company where I actually cared what time it was because I was enjoying my job. Sales management is lost. The company s is everything short of social. Collaboration is essentially frowned upon. Runs a boiler room type environment that is only good for timeshare telesales. The place is a mess.

I literally called unemployment after DAY 1 to see if I would still be eligible to receive benefits. Had I been eligible I would have quit DAY 2. No exaggeration.

Advice to Management

Look at your peers in the industry. It is evident that culturally you are caught up in an 80's boiler room type environment. Respect those who work for you and attempt to keep the abusive behavior to a minimum.

"Glad not to be there."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norwalk, CT

Pros

A decent training ground to see if you like working in the social media space.

Cons

The managment is bad on all levels.

Advice to Management

Need to improve overall morale.

"Great people but discouraging upper management"

Pros

My colleagues and peers were great. The product concept was innovative and provided good background on software development experience. The office itself was nice and easily accessible from the merritt parkway.

Cons

The atmosphere was often tense. You felt like you would be scrutinized by upper management at a moments notice for something you didn't do. You knew it was going to be a bad day when you walked it, many people had anxiety and felt as if they were walking on egg chells

Advice to Management

Please let middle management manage their people, leadership rolls down hill. An employee should not be confused between what their direct manager is telling them and what the CEO is telling them - everyone needs to be on the same page.

"Abandon hope all ye who work here!"

I worked at Engage121 full-time

Pros

Location of office is good and there is a nice cafeteria.

Cons

Where to begin. The overall environment is toxic, everyone walks on egg shells as not to insure the wrath and verbal abuse of the CEO, which is constant. The CEO tries hard to convince everyone that he has to be the smartest one in the room. Spoiler alert! he isn't and as a result is compromising the company's goals and objectives. It doesn't help that the product they are selling is fair at best. Stay away, you can do better

Advice to Management

Trust and let your employees use their talent an experience to get the job done. they will come through for you if you just leave them alone.

"Absolutely Awful Place To Work"

Pros

NONE. NONE. NONE. NONE. NONE.

Cons

Don't be fooled by the "fake reviews" they are paying people to create. This place is the most dysfunctional company you will ever come in contact with. If you enjoy being emotionally abused and disrespected then you should work here.

Advice to Management

Treat people (employees and customers) like people and stop using them as punching bags to make yourselves feel better. Disgusting.

"Run away..."

I worked at Engage121 full-time

Pros

There are a few genuinely nice people in the company.

Cons

Bullying, intimidation and screaming are daily occurrences. If you're adept at walking on eggshells, you might be lucky enough to survive for a while. But make a mistake and enter the CEO's crosshairs and you're done.

"Great environment to work."

I have been working at Engage121 (More than 5 years)

Pros

I recently learned of this website and thought I'd come over to see what people were saying about my company. I was really surprised to see that so many were unhappy here. While I haven't been here as long as most, I have never experienced anything but professional behavior from everyone, including the CEO.

Cons

I suspect these negative comments were written by current and ex employees who didn't get their way and chose to lash out anonymously...how childish. Also, most of what is written is either exaggerated or completely wrong.

Advice to Management

I couldn't be happier here. This is a small company. The CEO has passion and commitment. He is always available to his employees. Most of the employees have been here between 5 and 15 years. How bad could it be?