Engenderhealth Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Ulla Muller

1. "Pros and conc of working at EngenderHealth"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

work life balance is actually implemented, pleasant, friendly multi-cultural environment; good for entry level, mid-level

Cons

Career development opportunities lacking obviously because it is a relatively small company

Advice to Management

leadership team could be strengthened

"Let’s genuinely deal with problems, internally!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Engenderhealth full-time

Pros

I’ve worked with EngenderHealth long enough and know this organization’s greatest assets are its passionate and talented people who at each level have demonstrated time and time again their deep support and commitment to the mission.

Cons

Unfortunately, within one year, this great asset has been disintegrating because of new Management that still thinks putting on a show however emotional, is good enough to make the glaring and painful issues dogging the morale of staff will simply disappear.
    I read the positive and hopeful review above and couldn't help thinking that this isn't what we've been living through for almost a year. Nothing has changed. Management has done nothing to reach out…

Advice to Management

We need to REALLY deal with our issues internally, not on Glassdor! Please find creative ways to talk to staff to help alleviate the deep disappointment and fear that have insidiously found their way in staff daily lives.

"Horrible place to be in"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Brunswick, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Brunswick, NJ

Pros

All the good things have been taken away. Any culture/perks have been destroyed.

Cons

Management is awful.
    New CEO, huge turnover
    Be careful of what you say or you'll be punished.

Advice to Management

Advice to the board: admit your mistake and get a new CEO. Advice to management: the ship is sinking and we're all jumping off. You might want to consider doing the same!

5. "Excellent company to work for"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Engenderhealth full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Competitive salary with excellent benefits; opportunities for professional development and travel to field offices; work among intelligent, passionate and motivated colleagues; can rely on coworkers when projects are difficult

Cons

No tuition reimbursement provided; nothing else to add

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to staff at all levels

"Atrocious management; toxic work environment"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Engenderhealth full-time

Pros

EngenderHealth has strong name recognition and an important mission, as well as a decent salary for a non-profit organization; however, these can only take you so far...

Cons

Atrocious management--the worst I've ever experienced...EngenderHealth (and its HR department) protects its incompetent managers at the expense of lower-level staffers. Managers pay lip service to "open communication" while creating a toxic work environment. Nitpicking and micromanagement don't even begin to describe their management style. STAY AWAY if you have any other options.

Advice to Management

Management courses? Learn how to actually manage your employees rather than bully them.

7. "Recent hire - very pleased"

Current Employee - Program Associate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Program Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at Engenderhealth full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

As a recent hire, I have been very pleased with the onboarding process with my supervisor, other departments, and HR. My supervisor sat down with me to set goals for professional growth in addition to laying out my duties and responsibilities. The staff are very welcoming and committed to the mission of EngenderHealth. The recently remodeled office is an improved work environment.

Cons

While collaborative team work is part of the job, being a motivated and independent worker is important. Due to the nature of our work (many US-based staff travel a lot and staff are located in 20+ offices) and the generous work-life policies (a major pro), it is not uncommon to be the only staff from your team in the office on a given day. Flexibility and multi-media communication are keys to succeeding here.

"Some very kind and collaborative co-workers; however, most upper management leaves much to be desired"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

Family friendly, good benefits, generous compensation

Cons

Upper management tone-deaf to staff, expertise of "leadership" dubious, politics among divisions seem intense

Advice to Management

Change it

"Valuable organization with declining funding"

Former Employee - Program Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Program Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Engenderhealth full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I really enjoyed my experience at EngenderHealth. Had a great supervisor and lots of opportunities to take on new responsibilities. Got to travel the world doing work I believed in.

Cons

The number of staff based in the US has dropped as funding for EngenderHealth's funding declines. They used to have a unique niche (long-acting and permanent methods of family planning, fistula care, gender), but other organizations are now encroaching on that space.

"There were many success and challenges. Overall a challenging work environment."

Former Employee - Senior Technical Advisor in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Technical Advisor in New York, NY

I worked at Engenderhealth full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Lots of opportunity to grow professionally and monetarily over many years while employed.

Cons

It seems that those that did not work as hard but were well liked by those in leadership advanced even when they were not qualified to do so. This impacted the morale greatly. There was a culture of owning one's work without giving credit. Hours were long and colleagues were even expected to be responsive during holidays, vacation and days off. It is not a culture for adequate work life balance.

Advice to Management

Pay attention. It is an organization of continual change. Directors/Senior Managers should be mentored to communicate and share information with their teams. Bring back a culture of learning, respect and transparency.

"Not a good place for young people looking for growth"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Engenderhealth full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly/dedicated staff, laid back work environment

Cons

Low pay, a lot of boring work, no growth for young people. Smart employees holding master's degree are just admin assistants.

Advice to Management

Broaden your mission's focus to include other areas of development. Get rid of managers who are blatantly unstable