Engine Yard Reviews | Glassdoor

Engine Yard Reviews

4.0
Beau Vrolyk

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "It was fun during EY's heyday"

I worked at Engine Yard full-time (More than a year)

Pros

At the time Ruby / Rails was the hot thing to be working on. Worked with many of the sharpest people in the Ruby world, and with startups that are now household names.

Cons

No particular downsides in retrospect. Of course there were moments where things were stressful, but that's life. A growing company and relatively young staff are going to face growing pains.

Advice to Management

It's been a few years, and they now have a new CEO and most of the management has changed. Not able to provide any relevant advice.

2. "Getting a litte better"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

Pros

New CEO seems to have more focus and direction. Finally making improvements that are aimed at our customers instead of investing in speculative partnerships that don't bear fruit.

Cons

Slow growth so no room for advancement or growth. Limited chances to invest in new tech or grow as a developer. Previously lots of wasted effort.

Advice to Management

Keep focusing on customers!

3. "Ch-ch-ch-changes!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Engine Yard full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company is starting to come out of a bit of a period of stagnation, and it feels exciting. There's been a lot of badly needed change - new CEO, better leadership, new strategies, new office spaces. Teams seem to be finally working well together!

The company has stayed true to allowing remote work, employees tend to enjoy lots of flexibility. Commitment to open source efforts and involvement with conferences and community events are still a great part of the company culture.

Cons

Not everything is figured out yet, and there's a strain on resources to get lots of things done - sometimes that can be stressful.

Advice to Management

As you work to refocus the company's strategy and trajectory, more could be done to keep employees happy, involved and engaged.

"Cautiously hopeful"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Engine Yard full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The new CEO is actually really great. Engine Yard needed this. The choices he's made are ones that should have been made a long time ago. I think he also pays attention to what we're good it, which has always been a gripe of mine. He's learning what we're able to do well and trying to build on that. He wants to keep our big customers and figure out how to make our platform work for the people that need it most.

Company culture has rebounded a bit since the layoffs. Hiring is resuming with focus on engineering (yay).

Cons

When you deal with so many people's core businesses, security is very tight. Though it's expected, it can be cumbersome on a day to day basis.

The time needed to accomplish fixes of underlying issues is still hard to come by.

Company perks have been cut back recently, but this is to be expected.

The agile methodology that has been adopted recently can be cumbersome and overly specific at times. Allow for engineering creativity in solving challenges rather than exhausting the challenge before it gets to the engineers.

Advice to Management

The CEO has recently outlined what he wants to accomplish. I would be ecstatic if we stick with that direction long enough to really achieve something. The worst thing we could do is find a way to shoehorn the things we were doing into the new framework so that nothing changes once again. The pattern of direction changing without day to day work changing is difficult to endure. Pay attention to ticking time-bombs and involve engineers in the decision process of what needs to happen and how to solve it. Guidelines are better than exact specs.

5. "A rough couple of years, but things finally seem to be turning around"

I have been working at Engine Yard full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great work/life balance, above-average compensation, highly distributed team, interesting technical challenges. Teams are finally communicating and progress is once again being made.

Cons

Traditionally, senior management at Engine Yard has been astonishingly poor, including and especially at the top position. This effectively brought all forward momentum at the company to a halt. That said, all of the current executives are relatively new to the company, and they're making coherent (albeit difficult) decisions about personnel and strategy.

Advice to Management

You have a good plan in place, and you have the right teams to execute it. Let those teams finish what they've started, and don't change direction yet again.

6. "Pretty good!"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at Engine Yard as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Great environment; the company does a lot to ensure its employees are happy (lots of after hours events, etc).

Cons

Not much. Same as any mid-size company.

7. "Opensource friendly"

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at Engine Yard as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Great team to work with. Engineyard allows me to work on opensource full time and it is rare I do internal tasks - kind of dream job.

Cons

Working from foreign country makes it a bit complicated, I need to account for vacations and sick days on my own. Rather low amount of communication, but as I'm doing work unrelated to the company it can be expected.