Engineering Consulting Services Employee Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Henry L. Lucas

Pros
  • Great benefits, paid time off, comfortable corporate atmosphere, good people (in 7 reviews)

• There is lots of room to grow, move, and for promotions (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay, hard to reach engineers or project managers for answers despite having cell phone numbers, equipment is not kept in good shape (in 11 reviews)

• money,use your own vehicle, long hours (in 7 reviews)

1. "This is a great company to work for."

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Wilmington, NC
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Wilmington, NC

I have been working at Engineering Consulting Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My co-workers are very friendly. Working in a laid back office environment helps ease the tension of a stressful day.

Cons

There are not many opportunities for career advancement within the administrative staff thus pay in this field is not the best.

Mar 17, 2017 – Human Resources Clerk

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback regarding your experience working at ECS. We regret that you feel that compensation is not the best within the administrative field. We strive to ... More

2. "Not a typical engineering or consulting firm"

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Chantilly, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Chantilly, VA

I worked at Engineering Consulting Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Overall, the folks who work at ECS are the most down to earth and nice group of folks you will meet. Across the various offices in the eastern US you will find an array of helpful people.

Cons

Below are some of the cons I saw after previously working for a few large national engineering companies. These are in no particular order.

1. Poor work/life balance. For starting employees and even mid/senior level employees there are 2 (0-5 years) to 3 (6-10 years) weeks of leave. There is no specific sick leave, it is all an accruing leave balance. For professional staff, you can make this work when you have a sick kid by working at home. For junior or tech staff, you cant and run out of leave quickly. Professional (salary) staff is expected to put in 50 hours per week on the timesheet or you will get reprimanded. You get a company phone that you will be answering and replying to emails on when you are on vacation. In my experience at a professional company, you get 3 to 4 weeks of vacation plus sick leave. ECS is far behind in this aspect.

2. Project Manager training. Although you get to watch some videos during your orientation, it is woefully inadequate training to start using the management systems such as ALF, IVAN, proposal registration, project registration and other systems. You are basically flying blind at the start. There are supposedly PM training programs, but I never saw or heard of any. It is likely that the home (Chantilly) office has PM support but outlying offices do not.

3. Professionals pay scale doesn't seem professional. At ECS all professionals get a salary and a bonus. Unlike other companies, the bonus is an integral part of your pay. Say at company X they pay $75K plus a bonus if things are outstanding. At ECS the position would pay $61K with a 22.5% bonus . So, part of your salary is deferred to the end of the year. The bonus % can escalate up to 40% or more with seniority, so the bonuses can be huge. However, this creates all kinds of shenanigans as well as regular old hard work at the end of the year to make sure all the billings and collections are done by fiscal year end as this directly affects the bonuses (its based on actual collected monies, not billed). Does this work to get money collected, yes. Does this give the place a "boiler room" feel, yes.

4. IT and accounting systems are very antiquated. ECS is trying to modernize its 90s era systems, but it hasn't happened yet. A webtop called ECS 360 was rolled out that essentially repackaged the same old systems with a new face. The basics of project management systems and cost accounting any large firm has just don't exist at ECS. Starting at the beginning, proposal hours are not tracked to the proposal #, proposals do not get a margin % evaluation, proposals do not have concurrences other than a principal review, etc., etc. Once a proposal becomes a project, there is no real margin %, just a gross margin %. This is because there is no real overhead # factored in at this point (good for the PM) and since there is no project non-billable time allowed in the system, project budget overruns hit the project at billable rates vs. actual cost (bad for the PM). Also, contractors and service providers do not receive POs, much less POs that stipulate line items and quantities.

I may add more to this later.

Advice to Management

1. Get rid of the 70s TV show acronyms to business systems programs. It doesn't make sense (Alf, Ivan, Fred, etc.).
    2. GRIT? Back in the 70s Grit was a small paper you sold to make money. Today Grit is widely viewed as a racist construct. Ditch using that term.
    3. Wolftracks (weekly PDF of who did what that week) I dont know how much time is spent each week preparing this to pat folks on the back for doing their jobs, but we could do without it.
    4. Henry, please retire. We all love you, but upper management consensus is the company will progress much quicker when you retire.

Mar 23, 2017 – Human Resources Clerk

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback regarding your experience working at ECS. We are sorry that you felt that the work/life balance, project manager training,professional payscale and ... More

3. "Engineering technician"

I have been working at Engineering Consulting Services full-time

Pros

It paid every other week

Cons

Awful place to work, extreme overtime

Mar 17, 2017 – Human Resources Clerk

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback regarding your experience working at ECS. We are sorry to learn that you felt that there were few positives aspects to your position and that the ... More

5. "Great Career Opportunties"

Current Employee - Principal Engineer
    Current Employee - Principal Engineer

I have been working at Engineering Consulting Services full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

ECS provides a wealth of opportunities to its employees. It is one of the few engineering firms that allows junior engineers to participate in business development and client relationship activities as well as project management. ECS has a future leaders program that prepares its younger generation for leadership opportunities at the department, office, subsidiary and corporate levels.

ECS is an employee owned firm that also has an ESOP (Employee Stock Ownership Program). After two years of service, employees start becoming vested in the ESOP! At the same time, ECS offers a 401k match dollar for dollar up to 4% of the employee's compensation. In a time when most companies are cutting back on employee benefits, ECS continues to be generous.

Cons

This job isn't for everyone. The geotechnical and construction materials testing are tough industries. Time is money. Clients expect problems to be solved and progress made during construction. Summer work days can be long and hard. Engineers and scientists should not expect to sit at a desk all day.

Those without Grit need not apply.

Advice to Management

Continue to take care of your people. They are ultimately the driver of ECS' continued growth and success.

Feb 14, 2017 – Human Resources Clerk

Thank you for your positive feedback about working with us at ECS. We are excited to hear that you have taken advantage of and are enjoying several of our benefits, including our ESOP program. ECS is ... More

"Love/Hate Relationships"

I have been working at Engineering Consulting Services full-time

Pros

Very lively, fun place to work.

Cons

Stress can be overwhelming sometimes

Feb 1, 2017 – Human Resources Clerk

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback regarding your experience working at ECS. We are excited to hear that you have enjoyed working here and think it is a fun place to work. We are happy ... More

7. "Great Job Experience"

Current Employee - Field Technician in Chantilly, VA

Pros

Great entry level job for Civil Engineering, Construction Mgmt, Geoengineering, any related careers. Excellent work experience. Training is provided by ECS for your certifications, lots of learning on the job, and a friendly work environment.
    Recommended for those who don't mind getting their hands (and car) dirty by working in construction fields and are self motivated to learn more about the construction process.

Cons

Provide your own transportation to construction sites (be mindful of possible damages to your car due to bad weather, debris on site, construction equipment, etc).
    Testing equipment can be burdensome at times (require a vehicle with plenty of trunk space)
    Be mindful of weather conditions, will need to work outside during weather conditions on either side of the spectrum (prepare yourself for cold/hot weather)
    May not get full 40 hour work week due to rainy/snow days

Mar 24, 2017 – Human Resources Clerk

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback regarding your experience working at ECS. We are happy to hear that you are taking advantage of all the training offered here at ECS and are ... More

8. "Field Technician"

Current Employee - Field Technician in Chantilly, VA

I have been working at Engineering Consulting Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A company with well reputation .

Cons

Some of the Technicians are spoiling it

Advice to Management

Please be cooperative with your field technicians they are the asset of the company if any technician is leaving company give him/her respect and thanks for his work with ECS.

Mar 24, 2017 – Human Resources Clerk

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback regarding your experience working at ECS. We are happy to hear that you think highly of our/your company! We strive to respect all of our employees ... More

9. "Field Technician job"

Current Employee - Field Technician in Chantilly, VA

Pros

Free training and industry certification classes. Travel is reimbursed fairly (driving time plus mileage).

Cons

Mediocre wages. You must use your own car to go to construction sites. Work schedule can be unpredictable and erratic. Sometimes you will work in a different location every day of the week.

Mar 24, 2017 – Human Resources Clerk

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback regarding your experience working at ECS. We regret that you feel unfairly compensated. We strive to provide competitive pay and excellent working ... More

10. "ECS"

I have been working at Engineering Consulting Services full-time

Pros

The people are passionate about their roles and supportive of growth. Work life balance is very good.

Cons

Pay scale does not reflect career growth. Employees do not stay long term because pay rarely reflects experience

Advice to Management

Treat employees with more value in terms of pay rates to retain employees and decrease turnover.

Jan 24, 2017 – Human Resources Clerk

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback regarding your experience working at ECS. We regret that you feel that compensation does not reflect career growth. We strive to provide competitive ... More

11. "Nice, but not good for long term."

Current Employee - Environmental Scientist in Hanover, MD
    Current Employee - Environmental Scientist in Hanover, MD

Pros

Great people in my particular office though I've heard other offices aren't as nice. The workload varies by office, but it isn't too bad.

Cons

Terrible pay. Not competitive in the areas market. Will pay for training but doesn't give you raises as you get more certifications.

Jan 20, 2017 – Human Resources Clerk

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback regarding your experience working at ECS. We regret that you felt unfairly compensated during your tenure with the firm. We strive to provide ... More