Englewood Hospital and Medical Center Reviews | Glassdoor

Warren Geller

"Outstanding hospital"

Former Employee - Patient Accounts in Englewood, NJ
    Former Employee - Patient Accounts in Englewood, NJ

I worked at Englewood Hospital and Medical Center full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I can't say enough about Englewood Hospital, it is a great place to work. There is always room for advancement and they continue to come up with different ways to not only treat a persons illness but treat the whole person. They treat each patient with care and compassion.

Cons

I really don't have anything bad to say about working here. I have been here for 17 years answering each day I continue to grow and learn.

Advice to Management

As long as we keep putting our patients first, improving on our level of care and bringing in the best doctors we will continue to grow and remain one of the best hospitals in New Jersey.

2. "Good benefits"

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in New York, NY

I worked at Englewood Hospital and Medical Center full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

alternative shifts and good benefits

Cons

Too intensive work and long hour of work

Advice to Management

Need better managers

"Incompetent IT End User Support Management / IT Group -- EHMC -Your hospital for death"

Former Employee - IT End User Support in Englewood, NJ
    Former Employee - IT End User Support in Englewood, NJ

I worked at Englewood Hospital and Medical Center full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There were no IT pros, just cons.

Cons

The hospital is a wholly inefficient healthcare organization located in Bergen County, NJ that one who is applying to work there should expect below market job wages and worker expectations. Better ranked hospitals in the neighboring area include Holy Name Hospital(bigger dialysis unit, lower maternity C-section rates, 4.2 miles away), Hackensack University Medical Center(Ranked #1 in NJ and 8.5 miles away), Columbia University/NYPH(Ranked #1 in the Metro area and 6.8 miles away).

Their substandard care has resulted in their degraded ratings with a very high rate of C-section percentages in Bergen County. At orientation, the Management spoke so highly of their occupancy rates at the Maternity/Neo-natal units and less about the scars on the mothers' belly because of the high rate of C sections.

If you do not think that there is a difference between a 20% C Section rate hospital and a 30% C section rate hospital, just ask the mother that has a scar for life on her belly because she chose the higher C Section rate hospital.

Do not believe the 'Show and Tell' actors from the IT staff/Hospital management as they will tell you everything and not show you anything.

The initiative that was suggested by Management in outsourcing the CTS help desk (Tier 1-1.5 as described by Management) which was responsible to handle the initial call by the Hospital staff could not perform the most rudimentary/basic troubleshooting including a hard reset/power cycle of machines that were unresponsive. Documentation in the tickets were frequently inaccurate and unhelpful to the End User Support Team. Management has stated that each of these service calls to the outsourced Help Desk cost the Hospital around $15.

There were times while monitoring the ticket queue from home(unpaid) while I was on second shift where I had to ask for permission to come in early. On one occasion on my last week there, an out-of-office HR employee needed assistance to setup Maas360 for Android. When that user called up the CTS Help Desk(multiple times), the user received no callback from the designated ticket assigned IT End User Support team member and could not get the issue resolved in a timely matter until I came into the office early.

Reporting for the accountability of the IT department staff by the metrics of the ticketing system 'Remedy' was spoken by Management at our monthly staff meeting and was on display for January 2016, disregarded by February 2016, then again on display March 2016. I was the leader of my IT group of tickets by efficiency month 1(53 tickets in approximately 2+ weeks of ticket logging), month 2(there were no metrics on display) and month 3(85 tickets plus the Berrie 3/Cluster 4 deployment projects which I personally deployed 30+ PC/printers in 2 days(4 hours each day), working a combination 1st shift (2 days) /2nd shift (3 days). When I asked Management about my ticketing numbers, it was stated that it doesn't matter (which can be interpreted as accountability doesn't matter which could explain the laziness and complacency of the group).

Management did not hold the group accountable for asset management which resulted in items that were in storage that department people had no idea ordered and for whom, and undocumented user equipment assignment. This could result in the potential cause loss of equipment (printers/toners/hard drives/memory) without anyone knowing except perhaps the unknowing buyers of stolen Hospital property and/or eBay records/shipping records overseas. When I asked about this asset inventory issue, blame was assigned to the System Administrator team that generated the inventory report via LANDesk. Members of the team were only previously verbally reprimanded by the Hospital Security team before for inappropriately taking equipment home.

As per my recommendation in creating a Sharepoint site for asset lookup, currently there is no shared repository of inventory information(spreadsheet, database, or other means of record keeping). Asking each single team member at the same time what they had locked up in their personal cabinets of which the contents are Company/Hospital property was nearly impossible and yielded very little answers.

Management gave me instructions to deliver a newly purchased hospital tablet device to the Food and Nutrition department. Along with that, specific instructions for the user to use their private email address to log into the cloud for security purposes. From a technical standpoint, this would defeat the whole idea of having a cloud-enabled device locked to a hospital email address in case we have lost a tablet and had to lock or wipe the device remotely, or if this became stolen.

I was given directions by Management to violate OSHA laws regarding the misuse of electrical powerstrips and linking them together because of the failure to order extension cables for new furniture moves. Keep in mind, that this was a representative of Management that was there for 5 years not 3 months. Repeated calls to Management of EHMC facilities department to address this issue were not returned.

The new printer that I setup in the new Berrie3/Cluster4 physician lounge room resulted in toxic smoke emanating. Upon informing Management in my daily emailed status report, no further instructions to report this to OSHA as the voltage for power outlet was at fault. Two other printers encountered this same issue with a total of three printers ended up being returned to HP as a RMA!!!

Many times, repaired printers that were were marked as fixed in the Printer Repair room were deployed to replace problematic printers only to be found to have the same problem over and over and over and over again.

Some printers/printer toner were stored in a high humidity/high temperature environment which is never recommended.

There was rampant abuse of the IT department of their overtime hours (including coming in only to eat free after the work was done on weekends. Bragging about eating lobster or allday on the company dollar and time before the current department Chief??) that was due to being lazy during their shift and a reward for inefficiency.

Team members would speak of 'Teamwork' which was just an empty word for backstabbing and excuses. They would often attempt to pass the ticket and have no ticket ownership because they wrongly value their time (watching soap operas on the company's network and expense, web surfing) as more important that the staff end user computer issues. This complaint of IT inefficiency has been stated by many of the existing Management staff at the hospital. Management often referred this team as his 'A team' but by any other Company Help Desk standard with respect to SLAs or other metrics, this was definitely 'Below average' in both effort and efficiency. SLA Metrics were manipulated by placing tickets in the 'Awaiting Customer Response/Reply' ticket queue even when this was inappropriate.

There was a team member that would state being Novell certified/CCNA certified. However, further observations confirmed that when researching simple Citrix Receiver incompatibility fix with Edge required over 3 hours. I provided the solution with a simple IE/Chrome suggestion (less than 5 minutes to install Chrome). Asking them simple technical questions like a time estimate for a simple change in IP network subnetting could not be provided. Further questions/answers to other team members revealed that this team member was not a technical resource.

Team members with allegedly over 5 years EHMC experience could not even setup/migrate a new PC correctly by himself with an Exchange email account without missing data. When asked about the missing email information, none was provided or documented in the ticket or in person. I suggested doing a side-by-side migration with the old PC to compare and to determine what exactly was missing but this was not acceptable by the team member. Finally, I was asked to deliver the old PC because of the failure to migrate the PC properly and that the end user on 3 Main 'did not like the person'. Further conversation with this enduser resulted in questions on why would this take multiple experienced senior EHMC IT people (who get the most overtime) to resolve this when this was a straightforward issue.

That same technical Senior person in a meeting recommended that BIOS upgrades be done through a network connection with an IP address outside the Hospital business network and if there was no outside IP network cable, the BIOS upgrade would not be done. I had recommended USB flash drives with latest downloaded BIOS with the added benefit that this could also be configured bootable for any flashing of the Management Engine firmware(for both 32/64bit machines).

Why would you inefficiently flash the BIOS using an outside network IP and then reconnect the hospital ethernet cable to deploy the new OS via PXE ? Unplugging/replugging ? What if people in the group did not have an outside network IP? This was a suggestion by a (5) year EHMC Senior IT group person responsible for training new employees.

Team members did not know the limitations of a Windows 7 32-bit environment as there were groups of machines on the 4th floor that had 8GB of RAM installed in a 32-bit environment. There were no program incompatibility issues. I was personally sent to install 32GB of RAM on an Executive suite member(highest person with financial responsibility for the hospital) with only a Windows 7 32 bit OS.

Poor communication throughout the team, as there were many duplicating efforts by team members overlapping one another as Management would forget and ask multiple people to do the same thing.

Asking a simple technical question as 'How to add a new PC to the system (including AD, McKesson printing rights, etc) could not be answered by Management. It was stated that they simply rename the PC to the machine that they were replacing. This was an illogical response to a technical question regarding adding new machines to the Hospital.

Management also instructed me to file false survey reviews of the PC Repair Technicians (giving them 100% positive feedback, when they were lazy and took twice as long to fix and to repair issues) that were dispatched onsite to repair the faulty equipment.

Lazy, procrastinating, inefficient, incompetent IT workers cost the Hospital money allocated that could be better spent for more experienced professional workers that can SAVE money and more budget to save more lives.

The HR rep would not take my paperwork for the insurance that was promised after 90 days. I had filled out the paperwork during benefits informational session and the person giving the presentation did not accept my paperwork.

HR did not pay for any sick, personal, or vacation time accrued before the 120 days as I was there 105 days before released (480+ hours regular, 76+hour overtime paid during this period). As the Bible states, Thou shall not steal.

The contract that I was given stated NJ AT-WILL laws which they can fire/release you WITHOUT ANY REASON which was very convenient when a department member returned from disability.

I was personally given an opportunity for a AV lead position the previous week prior to my release. When I ask for details as to what the job entailed and further job related details, ie overtime hours allocated to compensate shift differential loss, and such, no details could be provided besides being a lead AV engineer with increasing responsibilities and desktop support responsibilities had no salary increase.

After my out-of-office absence due to illness/sickness due to explosive diarrhea(C-DIFF?) (probably from cleaning the mobile cart PC units two-four times a week on the most infectious floors, Dean 4-8, Hemodialysis) I was released. Suffice it to say,I was a professional and in my humble opinion, the mobile carts were the cleanest of the hospital(minus the transpore tape that the workers used to tape everything).

A hospital that does not take care of its workers is one that no one should ever support or work for.

Survival rates From US News:

Survival chances 30 days after admission, adjusted for severity and other risks.
    WORSE THAN AVERAGE
    3/10

Their current motto should be changed to:

Englewood Hospital and Medical Center 'Your hospital for death'

Advice to Management

None taken.

5. "Security"

Current Employee - Security Officer in Englewood, NJ
    Current Employee - Security Officer in Englewood, NJ

I have been working at Englewood Hospital and Medical Center full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Best reason to work at englewood hospital the people and love helping others

Cons

There's no downside working here at englewood

Advice to Management

Reason want to leave here is the salary been here about 3 years and not once have been offer a raise or even pay mind when I ask for one

"Great Place to Work"

Former Employee - EMT-B in Englewood, NJ
    Former Employee - EMT-B in Englewood, NJ

I worked at Englewood Hospital and Medical Center part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits
    Safe work environment
    Middle management on the road care about your needs
    Service more than one town for 911 calls
    Great people to work with

Cons

A lot of non-emergency transports
    Upper management isn't always attentive to all needs but tends to prioritise well
    No huge sense of loyalty to employees, has become a "larger" place to work rather than a family
    Some things, as with anything, are mismanaged

Advice to Management

Be a little more loyal to your employees, show them deference if you can. I know that you need to meet quotas and there are large expectations from the CEO and others but if you make all of your employees know that they come first they will always go out of their way for you.

7. "Emergency Room Technician"

Current Employee - Emergency Room Technician in Ramsey, NJ
    Current Employee - Emergency Room Technician in Ramsey, NJ

I have been working at Englewood Hospital and Medical Center (More than a year)

Pros

The emergency room at Englewood Hospital and Medical Center has great patient care.

Cons

I do not have any negative feedback in regard to my current position.

"Great place to start off your career, not so great for long term employment. Stagnant growth."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Englewood, NJ

I worked at Englewood Hospital and Medical Center full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great place to start off your career.

Great work life balance.

Laid back environment, great atmosphere.

Cons

Stagnant growth.

Pay is significantly below market rate.

Positions are rigid and do not offer the flexibility to learn from other positions.

Mid level managers stay in the same position therefore it is difficult for others to be promoted or move up.

Most senior employees have held their positions or been in a similar position for more than 10 years.

Advice to Management

Give employees incentives for growth through both compensation and promotions.

9. "PGY-1 Pharmacy Resident"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palisades Park, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palisades Park, NJ

I have been working at Englewood Hospital and Medical Center (Less than a year)

Pros

It is a great hospital where all the teams work their best to help the patients. It is still growing community hospital and has a great infusion center.

Cons

It must be better if the hospital becomes bigger and have more specialties

10. "Good Hospital Overall"

Former Employee - IT Contractor in Englewood, NJ
    Former Employee - IT Contractor in Englewood, NJ

I worked at Englewood Hospital and Medical Center (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people, professional environment, nice cafeteria

Cons

Workpace politics can play a role

Advice to Management

Innovate more aggressively

11. "Excellent workplace"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Englewood, NJ

I worked at Englewood Hospital and Medical Center full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible with hours, good salary, good benefits, Paid partially for my Master's Degree, overall pleasant atmosphere.

Cons

Recommend healthier and a variety of food choices in employee cafeteria.