English Heritage Reviews | Glassdoor

English Heritage CEO Kate Mavor
Kate Mavor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Secretary"

Pros

A great company to work for. They believe in what they do and it shows in the way they treat their employees.

Cons

The structure of the company was not always cohesive.

2. "Review"

Pros

This is really a fantastic place to work...I cannot imagine better... I have really enjoyed the people and the atmosphere.

Cons

There really are no down sides for me at this company......I have enjoyed every minute of my employment here.

3. "Friendly atmosphere but dull work"

Former Employee - Historic Property Steward in Hexham, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Historic Property Steward in Hexham, England (UK)

I worked at English Heritage part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Work at a beautiful heritage site; free entry to other EH sites; laid-back and not intensive

Cons

Mindless work; hardly any progression opportunities if you want to stay in-company; sheep poo!

Advice to Management

Maybe inspire a bit more enthusiasm and energy from staff.

"Succession planning ( or lack of )"

I have been working at English Heritage full-time

Pros

Great working location's, great welcoming visitors and families and making their visit special.

Cons

Long hours, poor pay ( for lower down the line staff ) no succession planning. Blame culture. Expectation to work extra hours at no additional pay for mid level staff. Bit of face doesn't fit culture.

Advice to Management

Look after the on the ground troops.

5. "Great employer, rewarding place to work"

I have been working at English Heritage full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Working to look after and present the past feels like a really important job, at a time when we need to learn from history more than ever before. English Heritage is a caring organisation, who wherever possible enable flexible working and family friendly policies. I've had a huge amount of support when I've really needed it over the last 12 months. Now I'm looking at training opportunities and feel like they are looking after me now but also into the future. I feel trusted to just get on with the job, which makes a huge difference to how you feel day to day. I think it's like with many things, you get out what you put in. And it's great to work with passionate, switched on people.

Cons

There's not always the resource to do everything you'd like to, and it can often feel really busy and a bit pressurised because we could perhaps do with a few more staff and a bit more time!

Advice to Management

Keep on ensuring line managers are trained to do their jobs well and the rest will follow.

"Front line staff treated appallingly."

I have been working at English Heritage full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working alongside fellow front line staff there is usually a friendly on site atmosphere (usually with a great deal of jokes at managements expense because thats exactly what EH management is - a joke)

Cons

Management prioritises making money over everything. They encourage sales techniques that clearly anger most customers then front line staff to face the flack with very little training.

Despite regular promises of training to improve career prospects that training simply never materialises. After initial induction training the average HPS will only ever recieve training as and when EH is legally required to provide it (ie ensuring a site meets minimum requirements for first aiders). If a member of staff is actually any good at their job (ie makes lots of sales) EH does everything in their power to keep them trapped in that role so they can keep bringing in money. The most talented, longest serving members of staff will get passed over time and time again when higher level jobs become available with "lack of experience/training" cited every time with EH making absolutely no effort to give front line staff that training or experience. Quite simply the only route to a higher level job is to be good mates with the regional managers.

Interdepartmenal squabbling at middle management leads to site staff receiving mixed messages about what they should be doing and whay their priorities should be. Basically every dept has its own targets to hit and to hell with the rest of them, it's as if they don't realise all the income goes to the same place.

Terrible staff facilities. Most sites lack a real break room and some even lack safe drinking water. During cold or wet weather staff can be left freezing for hours at a time with uniforms that are simply not fit for purpose.

EH policies and procedures make it almost impossible to provide a decent standard of customer service. At a busy site during the average week you will be shouted at, insulted, sworm at amd even physically threatened countless times by angry customers who are usually infuriated by things that are totally out of the control of site staff. All we can do is pass customer comments on to the deaf ears of middle management.

Quite simply the job is not worth the pay. Whilst site staff do get above the minimum wage, in the past two years since becoming a charity the wage has risen far slower than the minimum wage and the cost of living. Middle management seem totally oblivious to how little their staff get paid with many on short hours contracts. Staff who are forced to live month to month are still regularly expected to cover for staff shortages at other sites at short notice. Whilst the costs of this do get reimbursed it often takes weeks to recover that money yet managers just assume that low paid site staff have the disposeable income to spend on expensive travel costs at short notice.

When I started working for EH I genuinely enjoyed working for them. 4 years later it has worn me down and my entire outlook on life is far gloomier. Thats what having to face rude/angry people that rather than being able to help you are expected to try and squeeze money from does to you. I am now doing everything I can to get out of this horrible job and even that is proving difficult due to the lack of training given to me during my time here.

Advice to Management

Promote from within. I do not believe in the entire time I have worked here I have met a single member of staff from middle management upwards who has ever worked in a customer facing role within EH. They simply do no understand what it is like to work at a site every day.

Refocus your approach to customer service. Allow us to treat people as visitors rather than customers. If we can focus on helping them enjoy their visits rather than trying to squeeze money out of them in every conversation they are more likely to visit again or purchase membership. Currently you are getting a very bad reputation amongst the public. Every single day I encounter customers who having experienced other sites are sick and tired of us trying to get money out of them at every opportunity. "Typical English Heritage" is a common catchphrase amongst our visitors.

7. "Hopeless, political, narcissistic"

Former Employee - Site Manager
    Former Employee - Site Manager

I worked at English Heritage (More than 3 years)

Pros

Staff are. Very Passionate about history
    Good holiday. Good Pension and free entry to sites.
    Nice offices to work in.

Cons

Huge blame and backside covering culture amongst rank and file staff and senior mgt. IMT, HR, Marketing and Finance are all run by ego and politics.

Blaming suppliers and peers rather than taking ownership is rife.

Advice to Management

Sack the underperforming process fascist people and recruit some decent staff. Stop blaming and sloping shoulders.

Get out of the bubble and learn what the time industry is doing.

8. "Stressful"

I worked at English Heritage part-time

Pros

Nice environment to work in

Cons

Repetitive job, with very little or no breaks

Advice to Management

Be more respectful towards the employees

"Profit over visitor and staff experience"

Former Employee - Historic Property Steward in York, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Historic Property Steward in York, England (UK)

I worked at English Heritage (More than a year)

Pros

The opportunity to work in some of the most fantastic buildings in the country with free access to many more.

Cons

After working in some fairly soulless corporate environments, I had expected that the charitable status of English Heritage would mean that the staff would be committed to the cause, this was not the case. Money came first for everything, over visitors, over staff, over the truth. I was frequently part of meetings where teams were told to "treat sales like a dog with a bone" and "never take no for an answer", individuals' performances were highlighted in red in the break room to 'name and shame' those who were not hitting their targets. I have never worked in an organisation with such a high turnover of staff and low morale.

Advice to Management

If you take better care for your staff and lead by example the everyone visiting would have a far better time.

"Sales"

I worked at English Heritage full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good not working in office, alright training, nice environment, not many other staff to work with. Relaxed, could have a nap at work

Cons

Upper management shocking, dealing with customers who were idiots, having to deal with school, picking up dog mess and litter

Advice to Management

Sort out communication to lower ranks, make the training relevent, understand the job role actually show your faces