English Program in Korea Reviews | Glassdoor

English Program in Korea Reviews

1.0
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The cost of living in South Korea is low compared to the US for me so I was able to completely clear my debt of student loans in two years (in 8 reviews)

• You will have a lot of free time (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Last minute changes, long wait times (in 10 reviews)

• Often disconnect due to language barrier (in 7 reviews)

"2 different EPIK contracts 2 different provinces"

Former Contractor - Guest English Teacher
    Former Contractor - Guest English Teacher

I worked at English Program in Korea as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

15 hours of teaching a week.
    A lot of desk warming time to search for other jobs or study for graduate school exams.
    Accessibility to other countries for short trips/vacations.

Cons

Salary paid late 3 times. Flight reimbursement and end of contract severance were withheld illegally at the end of the contract until I threatened to sue. Lived in 2 different uninhabitable slums infested with black mold, dust, broken or non existent appliances, faulty plumbing. Teachers or school faculty often enter your apartment to check things out when you're not there so you should hide your valuables, passport, degrees, or other things you will need. School will strong arm $30 - $50 USD a month from you for "activity fees" which means the Principal and Vice Principal will go out for soju, beer, and fried chicken on your dime.

Advice to Management

I'd say stop the abuse of native English teachers and end school corruption, but we all know that's not going to happen. It's a disgrace to the country, and leaves a lasting impression to people from beyond the peninsula.

2. "OK to waste a year, but not a career"

Current Employee - Native English Teacher (NET)
    Current Employee - Native English Teacher (NET)

Pros

The compensation/benefits package isn't awful. Pay is low, but the cost-of-living here is low too. Free apartment, flights in and out, nice severance.

Cons

Xenophobia and mistrust on the part of communities and EPiK management makes it difficult to feel like yo're more than just chattel. Schools are hit or miss - some are great, some are nightmares. It's best not to think of this as a professional position: you're here to do what they need you to do. There are no (literally no) opportunities for advancement or professional development.

Advice to Management

Figure out what you want: are you hiring professionals, or human CD players? If you're just looking for a "play" button on a verbal English lesson, give it up and just buy the CDs instead.