Ensco (UK) Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.6
Carl Trowell

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Good benefits, employed in a difficult downturn" (in 9 reviews)

• "Good company to work for even during this downturn" (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • "Working for ensco offshore company was fine the only down side is to be away from home for 21 to 28 days" (in 4 reviews)

• "Lay off due to cost of oil and gas" (in 3 reviews)

1. "Asst driller"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Zwolle, LA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Zwolle, LA

I worked at Ensco (UK) full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Worked 22 years moving on up

Cons

Then got laid off in 2015 after 22 years on the grind

Advice to Management

Call laid off workers for an opportunity to get job back. At least have some empathy or sympathy for them. Damn

2. "Driller"

Current Employee - Driller in Lafayette, LA
    Current Employee - Driller in Lafayette, LA

I have been working at Ensco (UK) full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great insurance and 401k. Fair pay.

Cons

Bumping personnel back positions and hiring new to replace.

3. "Deck Pusher manage daily activity with lifting process, ordering lifting gear, assist and manage equipment moving."

Former Employee - Crane Operator in Lafayette, LA
    Former Employee - Crane Operator in Lafayette, LA

I worked at Ensco (UK) full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Ensco as a company mange there employees Respectful, Ensco Suport us in the safe way, which drive each employee to be driven..

Cons

Learning knew Equipment, which puts all employees at a different level when it comes to choosing what path you want to take in the oil and gas industry..

Advice to Management

My learning is knowing your people seek information from them meaning that you care about why you here, that allows them to get the most out of you as thier supervisor.

"Culture of fear"

I worked at Ensco (UK) full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay is competitive for industry

Cons

Fear, anger and stubbornness are plentiful

5. "New Management"

I have been working at Ensco (UK) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The Company has evolved from the old Executive Management and has done a great job in taking advantage of the downturn

Cons

The old Executive Management was in over there head with acquisition of high spec assets from Pride International

Advice to Management

Glad they phased out the old COO Mark Burns and CEO Dan Rabun

6. "Subsea Engineer"

I worked at Ensco (UK) full-time

Pros

Very good company to work for

Cons

Need much better communication skills

"Clear understanding"

Current Employee - Maintenance
    Current Employee - Maintenance

I have been working at Ensco (UK) full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good benefits, employed in a difficult downturn. Pay is par for the course. Paid training.

Cons

See advice to management.

Advice to Management

It is a well-established company, but the structure leaves a little to be desired. The payzone site is probably the worst interface I have ever used, when you search for as they call living documents, you find documents from 10 years ago at the top of the list. Honestly you should be able to search by the document number and get the latest document, not a document submitted by another rig. There should be a search function just for corporate policies, procedure, forms and standards.
    If you want to design a good working site, the documents required for each division should be laid out where it is easy to find, this would help new hires and acquired companies employees integrate much more efficiently. Rather than just a HSE handbook, maybe separate hand books for policies, procedures and standards. Install hyperlinks to associated materials from these hand books, would make the job that much easier.
    The standards should have an instructional at the front explaining the use of the standard. The legacy companies are misunderstanding the reason for its use.
    Set a clear explanation from a corporate standpoint and not leave it open for individual interpretation of what they think it means. (My interpretation of it is, when the device you have is worn out and needs to be replaced then you use the standard). But a lot of people take it as our equipment is not the same as the standard and as such needs to be replaced. This is very costly and money shouldn’t be wasted on people following their own interpretation of the standards.
    Next subject WIMS, it’s a great idea but I think the company has gone overboard in its design. Some of the jobs have around 3 wims listed with them and when your done printing them out you have 40 pages of paper work to read through and explain, well when you sit down with your crew run through all this information, get your associated permits done you have burnt through hour and half just for the preliminary, that is without doing the actual work. Now that would be acceptable on a drill ship or semi where you drill one well over a long time period sometimes months. But has anyone looked at the logistics on a jack up? We may do that same job every 12 hours and drill 5 wells in 7 days.
    One model doesn’t work for all areas, if it did we would use drill ships everywhere. Trying to perform for the client and be efficient is not possible with Ensco’s current expectations. If indeed safety is first, would that statement still be the same when the clients refuse to sign further contracts due to poor performance.
    Furthermore looking at WIMS we all understand it is written from a cover the companies butt standpoint, hence why we have to sign every other section, so we know if anything goes south it’s all our fault and we will be fired for our incompetence. Just to let you know as supervisors we don’t want anyone to get hurt and nor are we going to put our guys in harm’s way for the good of the client or company. We do everything in our power to keep them safe, but it does come down to common sense, most of us in supervisors positions have it and we try to transfer it to the junior positions via stop, hand safety cards and other programs.
    Some of the WIMS need to be discussed with panel of rig personal from different divisions. Some jobs don’t require power to be off or the equipment to isolated. Discussing wims with a panel of drillers, electricians, mechanics, barge engineers, and etc. People still working on the rigs, not men long since removed from the field. As the longer you are away from the field the easier it is to forget what it actually takes to perform the work.

8. "layoffs"

I worked at Ensco (UK) full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- initially offered great benefits and lots internal movement
    - great culture and smart people

Cons

- lots and lots of layoffs after oil and gas market went south
    - lots of turnover among the executives/leadership
    - benefits and opportunity for growth/development went away after the downturn

9. "Sr. Electrician"

Former Employee - Senior Electrician in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Electrician in Houston, TX

I worked at Ensco (UK) full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Growing Company with new job oppertunities

Cons

Growing pains after buying smaller companies

Advice to Management

Do not forget the employees that help you grow

10. "Safety Training Coordinator"

I have been working at Ensco (UK) full-time

Pros

Time off is great and insurance packets are great - Really good support from upper management

Cons

No room for advancement, no bonus packages