Ensco (UK) Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
Ensco (UK) President, CEO, and Director Daniel W. Rabun
Daniel W. Rabun

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • good company with good benefits (in 8 reviews)

• Good company to work for even during this downturn (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Working for ensco offshore company was fine the only down side is to be away from home for 21 to 28 days (in 4 reviews)

• I was laid off , but a great company (in 3 reviews)

1. "mechanic"

I worked at Ensco (UK) full-time

Pros

good pay, decent benefits, until the bottom dropped out.

Cons

Too much good ole boy going around, used to be a great company till the Pride merger/buyout. Now its too much back stabbing and lies to get promotions, oh and if you were with Ensco before the merger, well you are SOL as the management from Pride is still in place, so those guys get moved up first. When the ax dropped, all the semi guys were let go, cause they want nothing but drillships now. Enter at your own risk. And the "new" CEO, well lets just say he almost ran Schlumberger in the ground, now hes doing it at Ensco. Look it up, 2nd worst CEO in the world. Only some steel mill guy was worse.

Advice to Management

They wouldn't listen anyway unless you are a stockholder.

2. "IT Analyst"

Former Employee - IT Lead Analyst in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - IT Lead Analyst in Houston, TX

Pros

Good benefits. Health, vacation and 401k

Cons

no advancement if not part of a club.

Advice to Management

Diversify

3. "good if you don't want to have a personal life"

Former Employee - ETP/MTP in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - ETP/MTP in Houston, TX

I worked at Ensco (UK) (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good Pay and Benefits. World travel and exposure to foreign workers.

Cons

12+ hour days, bad work/life balance. Incompetent HR dept for Training/Taxes/Relocations. Some of the managers are "do as I say, not as I do" type.

"Floor hand"

Former Employee - Floorhand in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Floorhand in Houston, TX

I worked at Ensco (UK) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good rate of pay and good benefits but not much more.

Cons

I got hurt in the rig and as soon as I was released to go back to work I was fired. I was told this was normal. Good company unless you get hurt then they abandon you.

Advice to Management

Care about the guys working in the trenches. Things happen and an employee should not live in fear of being fired when they follow prodigal.

"An Acquisition...one company will suffer"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at Ensco (UK) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I was a Pride International employee. Ensco acquired Pride. I stayed with the company for 1 year after the acquisition. I couldn't find any "Pros," so I left (like so many others). However, after I left, Ensco did investigate the Audit Director and made him leave the Company. This is something that Pride wouldn't do. So, I applaud Ensco's Audit Committee and Board of Directors for their ethics in this decision, even if it took a little longer than it should have.

Cons

Ensco is a "lean" company, meaning NO employee perks. For example, there was no flexibility in work hours, employees were expected to travel by the cheapest means possible (which meant one step above the pay-by-the-hour hotel), benefits were substandard, and bonuses (if you were high enough to get one) were way below the industry standard.

Advice to Management

It takes an investment to get good employees. When a company does not care about its employees, the good employees go elsewhere. Then, what are you left with?

6. "Could be worse, could be better"

Pros

Good benefits, decent pay. Company invested heavily in quality assets which benefit offshore employees. Decent management in the operations department.

Cons

Lack of clear company goals. Lack of communication from management to lower level employees. Lack of teamwork/ support from other departments. Cross-department knowledge lacking.

Advice to Management

start training employees in additional roles besides their own; when major projects require multi-department cooperation (which many do), there needs to be resources available to work on project.

7. "Not the best place to start your career"

Former Intern - Summer Intern in Houston, TX
    Former Intern - Summer Intern in Houston, TX

I worked at Ensco (UK) as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Skilled high-level management
    Flexibility in work schedules
    They don't pressure you too much

Cons

Not too many intermediate managers to guide you well.
    Intermediary managers/associates aren't upto the mark
    No motivation to work hard
    Very less pay.

""Going Beyond" as the new motto does not apply to treatment of employees."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at Ensco (UK) full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Compensation and benefits are competitive when compared with the rest of the offshore industry. For all of the negative issues in the company culture, there is a strong safety culture at Ensco.

Cons

Merger integration with Pride Int'l was managed very poorly, creating an antagonistic culture in Houston and on legacy Pride rigs. Even the legacy Ensco employees that moved to Houston from Dallas during the merger are leaving in high numbers. Senior executives are not approachable, and are known to punish those that are not "yes men".

Advice to Management

Look at your turnover rig by rig and department by department. VPs, Directors and Rig Managers need to be held accountable for the culture they are creating that leads to high turnover on their respective teams. If turnover is high in a specific area, there is a reason.

"White males only club"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Ensco (UK) full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Compensation is decent otherwise most would leave. If you are a white male, your opportunities are not limited, for the rest of us, we are invisible so limited to mid-level.

Cons

Very old school. Complete "good ole boy" company. Women and minorities...forget it! You won't have a chance at moving up to a top level. They have one "token" female/minority on the board and known in management.

Advice to Management

This is not the 1950's where companies are run by white men. Learn what it means to diversify and perhaps you will have a better run company!

"Money is what keeps people but maybe not for long..."

Current Employee - IT Support in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - IT Support in Houston, TX

Pros

-Excellent retirment benefits
    -Great pay for individuals who were retained from the Pride merger

Cons

-Lack of communication from upper management is frustrating
    -Company has doubled but is ran as a small company(no procedures, no structure and no direction)
    -Decisions are made by too few and usually by those who are not knowledgable enough or insecure
    -Disturbing when asked about community involvement that the CIO says "We feel Ensco does not owe them anything."
    -Penny pinching is very evident with the unwillingness to hire more than absolute base essential headcount even when it is not enough

Advice to Management

IT upper management does not seem to have a thorough understanding of implementing an enterprise network due to lack of understanding or "we have always do it that way" frame of mind. Technological decisions made are counter intuitive of Microsoft or industry standards and is costing the company more than saving in productivity and resources.