Ensign Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated June 8, 2017

Full-time Part-time

2.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Ensign Group President, CEO, and Director; President, The Flagstone Group Christopher R. Christensen
Christopher R. Christensen

Pros
  • They truly do demonstrate their core values in their day to day business dealings (in 13 reviews)

• Good company with opportunity if you want it (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • They claim "employee first" but that was never demonstrated (in 9 reviews)

• They state they are there as support but when you ask for support they tell you to take ownership as that is one of their core values (in 6 reviews)

"PTS"

Current Employee - PTA in Homedale, ID
    Current Employee - PTA in Homedale, ID

I have been working at Ensign Group part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company compensates and treats employees well.

Cons

They only give short hours to per diem employees.

2. "Needs lots of improvement"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at Ensign Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Loved the front line staff. .ie cnas, nurses, housekeepers

Cons

Management is a joke. Unless your a white male Morman you can forget about any advancement. Rude, unprofessional and DADS is practically in the building weekly to respond to complaints.

Advice to Management

Spend more time getting to know you staff and not just to reprimand when mistakes occur. Also raise the salary for your cnas. They work to hard for $10 an hour...

"Caregiver/ Sherwood Village Tucson, Az"

Current Employee - Caregiver/Medtech in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Caregiver/Medtech in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Ensign Group (More than a year)

Pros

None. Unless you like to break rules and laws.

Cons

Cons?? That is exactly what works there.

Advice to Management

The ED thinks she is above the laws and state regulations. Tells med techs to use other residents meds, and than lies to state and fires all the wrong employees. If you call the state or the compliance line, they do nothing and than you in up fired. This most missed managed building. They don't even follow company core values.

"Work built on Ownership, Learning and Celebration"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boise, ID
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boise, ID

I have been working at Ensign Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work for an affiliate, Cornerstone Healthcare, this is group of professionals who truly demonstrate life changing service in delivery care for the elderly and frail. Provides opportunity for being innovative, continual learning, delivering the highest level of care and celebrating your mission in caring for others.

Cons

Demanding work with satisfying professional and personal rewards

Advice to Management

Keep the focus on celebration, love one another and customer second!

"Stay away from Ensign!!!"

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Mesa, AZ
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Mesa, AZ

Pros

Generally speaking most of the staff truly cared about the residents and their well being. Staff wants to see the place succeed despite Ensign.

Cons

I was one of 4 Marketing Directors they've had in the last 6 months so I didn't really have any expectations going into the position for any length of time. The pay is peanuts and I took the job on as a challenge to turn things around which I did. I actually trained my replacement and if she follows what I've set up the census will grow. I have no doubt she will either leave because of pay or be fired for lack of enthusiasm because of such poor pay and lack of opportunities. I was fired because they didn't want to pay me for the improved census count which was on the rise. I once suggested that they reward good employees who did a good job with an extra day off of pay and they looked at me like I was crazy for the suggestion. The Executive Director was a young Mormon kid who had really no idea what he was doing and was making things up on the fly. I swear the only reason he even got the job was because he must have known someone in his ward. They claim "employee first" but that was never demonstrated. It was always driven by the bottom line which I understand but the shortsightedness of a long term plan and an unwillingness to make improvements in the facility will forever doom that building. I predict when the lease is up Ensign will walk away from the disaster.

Advice to Management

I have no reason to tell them how to improve....I want to see them crash and burn.

"Summerfield Healthcare Santa Rosa"

Former Employee - Charge RN in Santa Rosa, CA
    Former Employee - Charge RN in Santa Rosa, CA

I worked at Ensign Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Loads of patient experience with assessing/treating various disease processes.

Cons

Understaffing as a business model.

Advice to Management

1 nurse and 3 CNAs at night for 56 patients? Really? Hire more CNAs and more nurses. Don't dump all your admissions on the PM shift when all office personal and management has left for the day, and the nurses on duty tend to be the newest ones on the job.

"Great for Rehab professionals"

Current Employee - Occupational Therapist in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Occupational Therapist in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Ensign Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have really enjoyed my time w/ Ensign as an Occupational Therapist. I think that my colleagues in the rehab department would agree that it's a good place to work.
    Pros: fair pay; reasonable productivity expectations; very friendly staff. I have worked at several of my company's locations and have found staff and management to be very pleasant and friendly people. And patients largely seem to agree, from what I've observed.

Cons

I don't know that all divisions of my place of employment have it as good as rehab. I have nothing negative to say about my experience in the rehab department. And I don't perceive any disgruntlement among my colleagues. Our DoR doesn't even seem to mind the high level of demand his work entails (which seems to be a staple of the position, and is not specific to Ensign by any means), though I think he's a bit of a special beast. I wouldn't want his job. But he seems to thrive on it in a way that I don't think most would. However, again, I don't think that, for example CNAs, are as fortunate as us lucky rehab people. This, though, is surely not unique to Ensign by any stretch.
    Another con is that sometimes rehab hours are lower than I'd like them to be. But again, this is an industry thing. Not an Ensign thing. So it's not really a criticism of Ensign any more than complaining about the rain at a golf course would be a criticism of the facility management.

"MDS Coordinator"

Current Employee - MDS Coordinator in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - MDS Coordinator in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Ensign Group full-time

Pros

Hours, staff, clientele, location, professionalism, advancement opportunities, training seminars, educational advancement, IV Therapy, Tracheostomy Care,

Cons

Lack of ventilators, minimal higher acuity residents, required weekend hours,

Advice to Management

Improving staffing conditions for CNA employees.

"Nurse"

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Abilene, TX
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Abilene, TX

I worked at Ensign Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Coworkers. Had great nurses, CNAs and Therapist. The employees doing all the work truly care about the jobs they do and how patients are taken care of.

Cons

The worst job I've ever had. Do not follow their core values. Customer 2nd. The customer is last and employees are 2nd to last. All about the all MIGHTY $$$. Want you to work with skeleton crew so they can meet their budgets and Directors can hit their bonuses. Want salaried employees to work 13-14 hours a day with no compensation. Also, If you want to move up in a Director position you better be a white male and if you are Mormon you will definitely get the job regardless of your education or work background.
    Training is terrible. You better have a good base knowledge because you have no resourceful people to go to including Directors. Another core value is ownership which really stands for you are responsible if the facility fails.

Advice to Management

Stand by your core values like you preach. Respect your employees from the ground up. Invest in your staff and make them feel appreciated. Greed and healthcare don't mix. Beef up your benefit package. Terrible match for 401K.

10. "Speech language pathologist"

Former Employee - Speech Pathologist in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Speech Pathologist in Dallas, TX

I worked at Ensign Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice building. Great and knowledgeable Director of Rehab. Good benefits. Fun staff. Great patients.

Cons

Honestly can't think of any.

Advice to Management

Expand in Texas and take over the other rehab companies because you guys are the best.