Entergy Nuclear Reviews | Glassdoor

Entergy Nuclear Reviews

Updated September 4, 2017

Full-timePart-time

3.2
Entergy Nuclear Executive Vice President, Nuclear Operations and Chief Nuclear Officer Jeff S. Forbes
Jeff S. Forbes

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance is non existent and you are constantly forced for overtime (in 3 reviews)

• Long hours bad weather shutting down (in 4 reviews)

1. "Entergy Nuclear"

Current Employee - Cyber Security Specialist in Russellville, AR
    Current Employee - Cyber Security Specialist in Russellville, AR

I have been working at Entergy Nuclear full-time

Pros

Have worked for Entergy for 30 years. Excellent company to work for. Good benefits and perks. Management good to work with. A company where the family comes first.

Cons

None I can think of.

2. "Senior Reactor Operator"

I have been working at Entergy Nuclear full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Medical Benefits
    Schedule is rotating
    bonuses are consistent
    very good group of coworkers

Cons

Transfers are not easy from site to site or department to department
    First line supervisors are more often than not compensated less than the crew that works for them.

Advice to Management

There are very smart people that work in the operations departments of nuclear plants, treat them as such.

3. "Entergy Nuclear"

I worked at Entergy Nuclear full-time

Pros

Good people to work with

Cons

Plants in the North East are/have been shut down

"Nuclear Plant Operator"

Current Employee - Nuclear Plant Operator in Buchanan, NY
    Current Employee - Nuclear Plant Operator in Buchanan, NY

I have been working at Entergy Nuclear full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good Pay and you are not over-worked

Cons

Lots of hoops to jump through to do the smallest thing. Nothing less than perfection is expected. If something bad happens and you are around, it's your fault.

5. "Engineer"

Former Employee - Engineer
    Former Employee - Engineer

I worked at Entergy Nuclear full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

stable company with decent benefits and good pay for the area

Cons

unpredictability in work schedule combined with long hours and long maintenance outages

6. "Supply Chain Management Professional"

I have been working at Entergy Nuclear full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flex Fridays and Unique learning experiences

Cons

Outdated technology
    Hard to move up

Advice to Management

Get

7. "Entergy Nuclear"

Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Frisco, TX
    Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Frisco, TX

I have been working at Entergy Nuclear full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pension, with benefits package
    Off every other Friday

Cons

Engages with unethical companies like HCL America , and Indian Based company. HCL treats American like their "caste system or untouchables".

Advice to Management

Hire and outsource from American corporations and not from India

8. "Pretty typical Utility"

I have been working at Entergy Nuclear full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Solid pay, benefits typical for the industry good 401k match

Cons

Work life balance is difficult.

"Engineer"

Current Employee - Engineer At ANO in Russellville, AR
    Current Employee - Engineer At ANO in Russellville, AR

I have been working at Entergy Nuclear full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I get to work with some of the best individuals I have ever met. If it was not for the co-workers both in my department and those departments which I support frequently, I would not be able function in my job role.
    Decent pay but not sufficient for the frequent call-outs, expected overtime, and extreme stress caused by this job.

Cons

All Engineering Management above supervisors is horrible and some supervisors also however at the supervisor level is is the exception not the rule. There is insufficient engineers to complete the workload, some disciplines are still at staffing levels approved by HCM with plans to hire one more person. The continued use of low cost engineering contractors will result in extreme cost to recover the design basis or permanent shut of the Units. Most Design Engineers only manage contracts and review the products, hardly ever getting to write the modification. Most experienced personnel have retired or quit without providing any knowledge transfer. Since little to no knowledge transfer has occurred new individuals are providing Owners Acceptance Reviews for products that they cannot even write (Note: they are qualified but not experienced enough), how can an engineer review a product if they do not even know what it takes to properly perform the modification. Accountability is only held at the individual contributor and supervisor level. Mangers routinely block individuals from even being able to be interviewed by other departments. Some of the newer supervisors (both promotions and new hires) have lost a sense of reality; I understand they are trying to make the site better but they are alienating their employees. Currently the site changes the slogans every few months to align with some new goal that has been set, due to the repeated changes most individuals just ignore what comes out unless they get called for a meeting with management or outside agencies then just grab whatever flyers are up to take with them. Becoming an in-house engineer is a stupid mistake, contractors have same or better benefits, much better pay, getting paid for every hour worked, no accountability, lower standards for work being approved, and do not have to routine on-call time. Management has been known to signature shop when something does not meet the assigned engineers standards.

Advice to Management

Get ONE idea and stick with it, not the 5 to 6 we currently have (Department, Site, Recovery, Fleet, Union, etc). Pay your engineers better when discussing with other department I frequently show them my pay to believe that is what an engineer makes (I am mostly told they would not even do their job for what I make). Stop using the low cost engineering contractor that ends up costing more and missing due dates because of need for in-house engineers to rewrite with comments. Look at the site OE of when ANO was the best plant and apply those ideas with modern ideas to achieve a good outcome. It is time for new Engineering Management from the director to managers (look for individuals who are known for Quality Engineering Products), many of your experienced engineers have been screwed by the current leadership and therefore understand that we need time to recover trust and respect that has been lost.

Additionally, I feel that engineering supervisor is treated worst than the engineers. By the time they get done with all the meetings, they spend many un-paid hours approving the work of their employees then trying to complete all of the work assigned at their level.

When you engineers are trying to move to another department do NOT block them, at least let them have a shot for the job even if it is a lateral or step down. This will raise the knowledge level of what is require to do the work in their new department (if they get the job).

Advice to other Engineers: Be very careful of current engineering management. Allow time for the current CNO and ANO VP to make changes that will hopefully result in a better working experience. Seek out experienced employees (in-house or contractor) that have a good reputation for their engineering ability and learn from them. Do not be afraid to question the management direction that is provide, but do this in a professional and polite manner. Open and honest communication is requested, but understand that constant negative feedback (no matter how good at your job role you are) will be held against you on promotions and pay.

"Senior Reactor Operator"

Former Employee - Supervisor in Grand Gulf, MS
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Grand Gulf, MS

I worked at Entergy Nuclear full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Worked with good people who wanted to do a good job.

Cons

Expected significant amount of work, only paid selective overtime, and violated a bonus contract to cheat me out of money.

Advice to Management

Don't drive your employees into the ground.