Enterprise Reviews in Chicago, IL | Glassdoor

Enterprise President and CEO Pamela M. (Pam) Nicholson
Pamela M. (Pam) Nicholson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work Life Balance can be a struggle at first if you've never worked a consistent 50 hour work week (in 1450 reviews)

• No work life balance to speak of (in 515 reviews)

1. "Rewarding but draining"

Former Employee - Branch Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Enterprise full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great all-around business training. You learn to manage an operation from employee training and developing to fleet management.

Cons

Physically, mentally, emotionally draining at times

Advice to Management

Do not short-staff your branches

2. "Intern"

Former Employee - Internship in Glenview, IL
    Former Employee - Internship in Glenview, IL

I worked at Enterprise full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great sales experience. Good management and leadership.

Cons

Hard hours, unnecessary work like washing cars and driving customers.

3. "Enterprise employee for four years"

Former Employee - Management Assistant in Gurnee, IL
    Former Employee - Management Assistant in Gurnee, IL

I worked at Enterprise full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A paycheck and sales experience

Cons

Cleaning cars in suit
    Wearing dress shoes in snow and having to replace them every month from salt.
    Management complaining at all times to push more insurance on customers that do not need it.
    Long Hours.
    Pay is meager to say the least.
    No Lunch.
    Dealing with entitled customer complaints

"Think Twice - Keep Options Open"

Current Employee - Assistant Branch Rental Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Assistant Branch Rental Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Enterprise full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This position allows you the ability to run your own business. Sales, Marketing, Accounting, and Human Resources. The option to move laterally throughout different divisions of the company is very apparent. Thorough training programs for all levels of management.

Cons

Don't plan on having a work life balance while working for this company. If you are employed in daily rental 55-57 hour work weeks are not uncommon. You will be required to wash cars and work in high temperatures wearing suits.

Advice to Management

Keep pay structure the same. The company has changed their compensation structure three times in 2 years. Business casual!!!!

5. "Lots of work not enough pay"

Current Employee - Management Assistant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Management Assistant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Enterprise full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great outlook from top companies

Cons

Lots of work not enough pay

Advice to Management

Stop overworking your employees and sitting on your behind

"This is no place for someone with Children!"

Former Employee - Management Trainee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Management Trainee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Enterprise full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Training here is really good. You will learn a lot! You really get a crash course on customer service and handling difficult people, not how to be a manager. Also if you have an understanding manager, the work is doable.

Cons

Everything else! The hours are draining. To the point I would have anxiety a lot of nights. On paper 12 + hours don't seem bad because you get OT, but honestly it's not worth it. No work/balance, no flexibility with scheduling, no life what so ever once you start the MT Role. Some branches are gross also. At one point in time, my branch had a mouse that left droppings everywhere. This job will brainwash you to think it's ok to work 50-55 hours a week. They will brainwash you to sell more and more and do shady deals on people who don't even know they are taking coverage. This job is an absolute joke and turns you into a robot with no morals.

In my particular case, I have a 1 yr old son and nothing is more harder than being away from your child for literally most of the day. This company does not care about your personal life or anything you have to get done outside of work. Everything revolves around the branch. If you have children, are a single mother or dad, or have a family STAY AWAY! Believe me I regret the time I spent with this company simply because it's like you are a work slave. Working hard is not enough, being physically and mentally drained is the way upper management want you to be. Speaking of upper management, it really is a joke. This company does not teach you how to be manager at all. Managers here have no clue how to manage employee relations, ensuring employees are ok and comfortable with their roles, or even ensuring MT's are provided lunches! Some of the things I've experienced with this company has altered my life in so many ways that I'm embarrassed to share. Long story short, unless you are a recent college graduate with no demanding responsibilities do not take a job here!

Advice to Management

Create rotating shifts. 12+ hour work days is immoral and not necessary to work this job.

Enterprise Response

Jun 20, 2017 – Manager: Employer Brand

I'm sorry you had this experience. I see that you've moved on but if you want to provide me some more specifics on how we can improve, feel free to reach out at employeecommunications@erac.com.... More

"Absolute worst decision of my life"

Current Employee - Management Trainee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Management Trainee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Enterprise (Less than a year)

Pros

The only pro is that it is viewed as a good resume builder.

Cons

Absolutely zero work life balance. They expect an employee to work from 6:30am - 6 pm. Most branches also work weekends. You are basically a taxi driver. You pick customers up all day, clean dirty cars all day and have no life. Enterprise will try to sell you on the quick path to advancement, but advancement only comes with productions of sales numbers. You are selling car insurance to people who already have insurance. This is the worst decision I have made and I am lucky I am finally out of that hell hole. It is basically a frat house style with no real benefits. It only looks good on a resume because everyone understands how terrible of a job it is. I would never recommend to anyone unless you have had absolutely zero experience.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees more. The turnover ratio is crazy high because employees are completely burnt out. Most people leave the company within a year. Also shorten the hours. There is no reason an employee needs to spend that much time in the office with nothing to do.

"Management Trainees"

Current Employee - Management Trainees in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Management Trainees in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Enterprise (Less than a year)

Pros

Great first job if you have no professional work experience

Cons

Everyone starts from the bottom... So if you do have experience they dont care. Also they have very few minorities in leadership positions and it seems like they want to keep it that way

Advice to Management

Get kiosks it will create a smoother operation and you'll save money on people standing around doing nothing

9. "Working at ERAC"

Former Employee - Branch Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Enterprise full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Promote from within, Great compensation at regional level

Cons

Long Hours High. Poor Work/Life Balance

"Long Hours"

Current Employee - Management Trainee in Lombard, IL
    Current Employee - Management Trainee in Lombard, IL

I have been working at Enterprise full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They hire just about anyone who has a degree. Great stepping stone as a first job.

Cons

This is a glorified sales job. You are ranked only on sales ability but you receive no commission. They sell you the dream saying you get 42,000 a year but it's only about 14 an hour and it's the mandatory overtime which puts you at that 42 mark. 12 or 13 hour days. 50 to 60 hour weeks.

Advice to Management

Rethink the matrix weighting. Power number isn't the only relevant source of income.

Showing 153 of 8,612 reviews