Enterprise Reviews | Glassdoor

Enterprise President and CEO Pamela M. (Pam) Nicholson
Pamela M. (Pam) Nicholson
2,286 Ratings

6,327 Employee Reviews

Pros
  • Great training program, supportive upper management, All of management started at the bottom (in 382 reviews)

• You learn how to manage a business as far as costs/profit & customer service go (in 564 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Fantastic Company and Career"

Current Employee - Area Rental Manager in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Area Rental Manager in Portland, OR

Pros

I have been with Enterprise Holdings for 7+ years now. I can't say enough about how great of a company Enterprise is to be a part of. I am currently an Area Manager and just like everybody else in the company started my career as a Management Trainee. The MT program is an all inclusive program that gives you the tools needed every step of the way to learn the business. The company truly promotes on success. The company truly has an employees first mindset. Our mission statement states that if we take care of our employees and customers then profits will follow and we see that with every action throughout my career. Once you become a manager you have a fantastic ability to increase your own paycheck by being successful. I recently was able to achieve a promotion where the company paid on their own expense to move me and my family across the country.

Cons

The most common complaints we hear initially are the long work weeks. It is a change to be on a 49 hour work week from day 1 but with everything you do throughout the day a 49 hour week goes much quicker than a 40 hour work week at most other jobs. You truly get out what you put in!

Advice to Management

Your ability to build your pay plan and truly make an impact in customers and employees as you move up through the company is an amazing opportunity!

"Are you capable of separating yourself from the best of the best?"

Current Employee - Area Manager
    Current Employee - Area Manager

Pros

At Enterprise, you start from the ground up. You learn the business inside and out and, at the beginning, it can be difficult. I personaly hit some walls as I was going through the program, but I had a fantastic support network to walk me through those rough times. If you are a true sales person that likes competition, you will do well. If you are not, you will be the person talking about how miserable the job is and how little you make. The people successful with this company find a way to outshine everyone else. When you are part of a company with 60000+ employees, I find that the oil always rises to the top. This has made us so successful. Yes, it is very hard work moving up through the ranks, but once you do, I can't say enough about the opportunity for growth from a financial and professional standpoint. I myself excelled in this environment, and my salary increased 10,000 dollars a year the 1st 5 years with the company. Normal? Absolutely not. Possible? Absolutely.

Cons

The downsides are just like any other large company, there are a lot of politics involved in every decision you make and there are numerous levels of management involved in making those decisions. This leads to massive amounts of meetings that consume you, at least for upper management. From a "lower management" perspective, it's a grind! You deal with a lot of upset people, a lot of hours, getting up early, sometimes staying late, learning to manage people, etc. It's a tough job. But it's a job I wouldn't trade for anything. It's like bootcamp for the business world. I know, even if I leave this company, I am set up professionally to be extremely successful.

Advice to Management

Let's get back to the days where we truly ran our own business. While I appreciate all the initiatves to get us back to the promised land, I think we are entirely micromanaging the process!

3. "Great company, high expectations, sound management."

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Saint Louis, MO

Pros

They respect the need for a diverse workforce, pay fairly, listen to their employees and understand the need to balance personal and professional needs.

Cons

Expectations are high, so if you are not prepared to bring your A game, stay at home. With that being said, at the corporate office in St. Louis, there is such a high importance on employee retention, that those who don't perform can get in the way of those who want to do whatever it takes to advance their career. Maybe they could set two tracks for employees.

Advice to Management

Spend more time focusing on the people side of your business during downturns. At the headquarters in St. Louis, consider spending more time identifying under-performers and counseling them out.

4. "Great place for a career if you're willing to work hard."

Current Employee - Manager in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Manager in Saint Louis, MO

Pros

It's a great place for recent college grads. You learn more about running a business here than you do in school. Also, if you find your niche outside the rental branch, it can be a great long term career. There are opportunities that pay well and offer career growth in support divisions that offer stability away from the retail environment.

Cons

The days of double digit year over year growth may be over. The company continues to be profitable and prosperous even in a difficult economy, however. The size of the company limits the creativity and flexibility that used to exist in the field operations.

Advice to Management

Communicate Vanguard integration plans to allay uncertainty.

5. "Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Management Trainee in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Management Trainee in Denver, CO

Pros

Promotion Opportunities. This is a great place to work. I don't understand why there are so many angry people about ERAC. If you aren't willing to work hard, then you are not going to get promoted. It's as easy as that. Do the work, get it done, get promoted.

Cons

The hours are long and the pay is bad in the beginning.

Advice to Management

Senior Management does a great job of involving everyone and talking to people. They have been at this for a while and are doing great.

6. "The Greatest Company Ever!!!!"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Atlanta, GA

Pros

They are very flexible and work with you to create a schedule that works for you. There is excellent opportunity for advancement and the bonuses are great as well.

Cons

Its very hectic and fast-paced. There are alot of out of control customers that can work your nerves so you really have to have thick skin.

Advice to Management

To keep doing exactly what you are.

"Enterprise is a great company to work for."

Current Employee - Management Trainee in Everett, WA
    Current Employee - Management Trainee in Everett, WA

Pros

promotions are all performance based. you can truly see the structure of the company at work. you begin to buy into the system immediately.

Cons

the downside to this job is not the downside of enterprise the company. the only downside that i feel is the long hours and how early in the morning you begin work.

Advice to Management

keep up the good work and we will continue to grow as a company. the more often senior management gets promoted the more promotions there are available for everyone else.

8. "Great Job!"

Current Employee - Management Trainee
    Current Employee - Management Trainee

Pros

If you work...you move on. You start out at the bottom, if you do everything your supposed to...you can become a manager within 2 years.

Cons

If you dont work...its not worth it. You have to be aggressive and ambitious when it comes to sales. If your lazy then you cant make it with enterprise.

Advice to Management

More workers in busier branches would help the flow. Worry about customer service before you worry about sales. ESQI means everything

"Great company to work for"

Current Employee - Management Assistant in El Paso, TX
    Current Employee - Management Assistant in El Paso, TX

Pros

Fun, Friendly, not always in the office, great way to learn how to run a business for your self, great training. You learn many aspects of running a business from reading an income statement to going out marketing to gain new business or grow current business.

Cons

We do sell out and customer are left with out vehicles. It is Retail sales so you could imagine the customer service level you must have in order to sustain customers from becoming furious. You do work long hours as an assistant and branch manager. Oh yeah, you do start from the bottom, work your way up......yes, even having to wash cars in your suits and ties.

Advice to Management

Remember, employees always tell the truth when they are unhappy. Management just needs to take some time with employees to understand and know them just a little.

10. "Awesome Company"

Current Employee - Area Manager in Bronx, NY
    Current Employee - Area Manager in Bronx, NY

Pros

Pay for performance, great pay, great Leadership by New York South region, Group level very talented

Cons

Sometimes they chose wrong people to mirror community.

Advice to Management

Never terminate employees that have relocated with thorough investigations. The GM is not always right

Showing 6,327 of 7,934 reviews