Enterprise Reviews | Glassdoor

Pamela M. (Pam) Nicholson
2,239 Ratings

6,225 Employee Reviews

1. Featured Review

"Fantastic Company and Career"

Current Employee - Area Rental Manager in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Area Rental Manager in Portland, OR

Pros

I have been with Enterprise Holdings for 7+ years now. I can't say enough about how great of a company Enterprise is to be a part of. I am currently an Area Manager and just like everybody else in the company started my career as a Management Trainee. The MT program is an all inclusive program that gives you the tools needed every step of the way to learn the business. The company truly promotes on success. The company truly has an employees first mindset. Our mission statement states that if we take care of our employees and customers then profits will follow and we see that with every action throughout my career. Once you become a manager you have a fantastic ability to increase your own paycheck by being successful. I recently was able to achieve a promotion where the company paid on their own expense to move me and my family across the country.

Cons

The most common complaints we hear initially are the long work weeks. It is a change to be on a 49 hour work week from day 1 but with everything you do throughout the day a 49 hour week goes much quicker than a 40 hour work week at most other jobs. You truly get out what you put in!

Advice to Management

Your ability to build your pay plan and truly make an impact in customers and employees as you move up through the company is an amazing opportunity!

"Working for enterprise: Hit or Miss"

Current Employee - Transporter in Wayne, NJ
    Current Employee - Transporter in Wayne, NJ

Pros

None, however easy job as being transporter. I guess you can move up the ladder with experience, but will probably take a while to move up.

Cons

Good work goes unnoticed. Pay stinks

Advice to Management

It all starts from the bottom. If you treat them better, maybe your company will do better.

"If you wanna sell your soul for 8 bucks an hour..."

Former Employee - MT in Traverse City, MI
    Former Employee - MT in Traverse City, MI

Pros

the slim chance of making big dollars, about a 1 in a 1,000 chance. like winning the lotto more or less...but similiar to the lotto, the riches never last. retiring from enterprise just does not happen, everyone gets fired sooner or later

Cons

long hours, misreable day to day work, getting screamed at by dirtbag customers, only real possibillity of promotion depends on odds and the good ole' boy network, never having enough cars, oversaturated market, no real idea by upper management of what pertains to marketing,, promotions based on selling, so you have good sellers as bosses, not good people persons as bosses...the list could go on and on

Advice to Management

i make more than you now that i quit that evil company

"Management over promises and under delivers."

Former Employee - Management Assistant in Des Moines, IA
    Former Employee - Management Assistant in Des Moines, IA

Pros

Great benefits package, good first job out of college, you learn how to multi-task, you interact with a lot of people everyday in person and on the phone. The negatives do tend to out-weigh the positives. Now I'm just typing to get to the 100 word minimum. The only other good things I have to say is that you can develop strong relationships with the people you work with because you are a team that overcomes challenges everyday. Because you're isolated from other branches, you often have to be creative and come up with anything that will work. And in my case I could basically take off whenever I wanted, without pay of course.

Cons

Often you are expected to do a million things at once but the compensation doesn't quite match the revenue you create for the company. In my case, management was very incompetent, top people were often fired out of the blue, there was little to no management attention to my branch. We were a rural location outside of Des Moines and operated without a manager for months. Then they got mad at us because our numbers were down. The numbers game of profitability is something only managers can pay attention to because only they have access to these stats. And only managers are compensated via commission for how profitable the branch is. So there was a lot of misplaced responsibility when it was the management who messed up by not providing a manager.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to your employees. Yes they are independent in many aspects of the business. But when they operate locations that are 50 miles from other locations, they need to feel part of a bigger team. Without attention, it starts to feel like its only those two or three people versus the world.

"work here as last resort"

Current Employee - MT in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - MT in Seattle, WA

Pros

gat some experience out of college

Cons

The pay is terrible. You start out making hardly more than minimum wage per hour, the only reason you make some money is because you work so much overtime, until you become an assistant and dont get paid overtime. The hours are terrible, you work 7-615 minimum. Your pay is based off of a 51 hour work week, so if you aren't hitting that you make a lot less than they say you will. The managers are mostly incompetent. If you have a family or life outside of ERAC you can kiss that good bye... you have a new family who love to go out after working 11+ hour days and drinking... you are pressured into it and make it seem like if you have something else to do then you are not promoting yourself and doing your career a disservice.

Advice to Management

pay your employees more and maybe they won't quit so fast

"Strong recommendation to avoid Enterprise-Rent-A-Car unless you don't have other options"

Former Employee - Department Manager, IT in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Department Manager, IT in Saint Louis, MO

Pros

ERAC is a Fortune 500 sized organization. As such, from time to time, there are opportunities for people to move from department to department. If you can find the right opportunity, one where ERAC is building a new business or a leader has left, then you can call it a good opportunity. If you like a military like environment, one where you are told what to do and you are graded on how well you conform to the rules (that are, unfortunately, unwritten), then you will love ERAC. If you are hired at a rental branch and 'grow' within the company, which means absorbing what is thrown at you, then I *think* you can eventually find a role.

Keep in mind, the company's model is to hire 'c' average, socially inclined college graduates. In other words, college graduates that don't have other opportunities. As such, those are the people that you will work with at the company. Experienced, manager and above, hires have a high probability that they will not like the company at all. Those that I saw hired in when I was brought into IT have also left the company. If you like trying to figure out a bunch of unwritten social rules, while performance is virtually ignored, then this company is for you. Unfortunately for those that like to perform, this is not a company that you will enjoy, especially IT.

And, to be clear, the company thinks 'big money' is $100,000 per year. For some roles on the business side that makes sense. For IT roles it is way out of whack. Just don't settle for what are good words that you'll here; unfortunately, they aren't true.

Cons

ERAC is not a people-friendly place. Jack's background was in the military, so it is run like a quasi-governmental entity (ala the military). Additionally, it is a family-run company and they mix family with the business and you are expected to conform to a lot of the family values, including politics and social ideals. If you like to think and solve problems, then you likely won't enjoy a role at the company. Want to be measured on how well you perform and your achievements? Find another company. Want competent senior management? Find another company.

To be fair, ERAC has had a lot of success in growing the company and in past years. I think what happened is they grew to be very arrogant, because of their success. I always say that arrogance begets incompetence. And, unfortunately for ERAC, the model of buying and owning cars for rental (as opposed to leasing them) has absolutely imploded on them. Apparently, the Taylor family is putting money back into the company. That is not a good sign for anyone involved in the company now. My guess is they will start rolling people out of the company.

Officers in the company can and will be pushed out. Additionally, they are often overpaid. Because of this model, the officers 'pick' people that they like and believe are only a little less competent than themselves. They don't want anyone that performs well to stick around at the company. In a very perverse way, that threatens their own existence. So, if you ask questions and perform well, expect to receive a raft of trouble. And don't expect to receive any assistance. In fact, expect some level of sabotage from all levels of the organization.

Unfortunately, they've setup a system with bad incentives and the people behave poorly, because of it. They told me before I joined as an experienced senior manager that there was a very low level of politics in the company. It couldn't be further from the truth.

Advice to Management

Change your incentive structure for your senior managers. Change how you jettison them, because it causes a really weird, perverse effect on the ground. Begin to judge employees on performance, not on how much you like them or how well they conform to a bunch of unwritten rules. Make the culture one that focuses on achievement. You have some very poor performers in your middle to senior manager rank and need to change it immediately. Your current CIO simply couldn't have that role at any other company. Don't hire within the family, because it causes really odd behavior that shouldn't exist at an $8B company. To wit, the IT HR senior leader is largely reviled inside and outside the company. These odd behaviors are what cause many to shake their heads and laugh when they hear the words 'Enterprise Rent-A-Car'.

"Take this job only as a transition to another career"

Current Employee - Branch Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Branch Manager in Houston, TX

Pros

good benefits like health insurance and vacation days except you can never take the days when you want them.

Cons

you work all the time, with very few days off and don't get any help even though you beg for it. You go over and above what they expect and yet there are very few encouraging words and a whole lot of discouraging words( if you know what I mean !!!!!) They promise you promotions or salary increases and yet month after month you don't see any evidence of it. They tell you " you can make this much at the new branch " only to find out you can't.

Advice to Management

Quit expecting me to wash cars in my suit and dress shoes, or to tell my customers to wait while I go wash their car because my car prep didn't show up again and you won't let me fire them.

"Enter with caution"

Former Employee - Management Trainee in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Management Trainee in Baltimore, MD

Pros

It is somewhat difficult to talk about the company because I have completely washed my hands of the experience, however, I will agree with the common consensus that it is great resume builder and way to gain professional experience.
    I do not want to completely dog the company, I learned a tremendous amount about company culture and I feel more confident to take on responsibility within the work force. You truly will learn about all aspects of business and encounter situations with customers that will require you to think on your feet.

Cons

The pay is ridiculous when you factor in taxes and you compare it not only to what your peers at other jobs are making, but to the amount of work and energy you put out. The job truly does not pay enough and promotions are typically slow, if not stagnant. On, the other side, if you click with management and spend your social lives together (what little of it you have anyway), then you will probably advance more quickly. The company is very "cult-like" and the minute you start to show signs you are easing away from their 'group think', then you are slowly weeded out...but it is so subtle that you may not even notice it at first. If you honestly do not see yourself moving towards advancement after a year or two, or if you have no real interest in the rental industry, do yourself a favor and find another job (the stress and depression are really not worth it). But for some people, they seem to thrive off of the company and have been there for years, so it can be a productive career as well.

Advice to Management

Work life balance needs to be more realistic and promotions should be given when they say they will be given (or at least a visible effort needs to be made that shows employees moves are being made to fulfill promises). Also, a more thorough assessment of achievements and progress needs to be given other than strictly reducing employees to numbers and percentages.

"No good, too much bad!"

Former Employee - MAnagemaent Trainee in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - MAnagemaent Trainee in Pittsburgh, PA

Pros

They really are no good things other than seeing how a major worldwide company shouldnt function and doing the exact opposite of what they tell you to do to succeed.

Cons

This little box is waaayyyy to small for this!!! No respect from higher ups, low pay for the work, as soon as i realized i was gonna work 60 plus hours a week and have take home pay around 600 or 700 every TWO weeks i bolted! If im gonna work that many hours i'd rather work in some mind numbing factory for 13 or 14 an hour and not have to take the ridicule and disrespect from customers that were treated unfairly from someone else in the office.

Advice to Management

Go play with yourselves

"Enterprise rent-a-Wreck!!!!!!!!"

Former Employee - Assistant Branch Manager in Trenton, NJ
    Former Employee - Assistant Branch Manager in Trenton, NJ

Pros

Entry level psition/no experience needed (One of the few companies that will hire a fresh college graduate with no real world experience)

Company car at manager level (good perk once you become a manager. No more gas and you always get to drive a newer car. You don't get your own car, you just get to drive home whatever is left at the end of the day so it might not always be the best car. Could be a POS of a newer nicer car.)
    Good co-workers in non senior management (One of the things that amazed me was the quality of employees that make it into Enterprise. There are so many good, honest, intelligent, hardworking people that waste their lives and time at Enterprise just rotting away. Most companies would only be so lucky to have such a talented sales force that they do.

Cons

Looong hours (prepare to work 11 to 12 hours a day and on Saturdays with this company sometimes with no lunch break)
    Really weak pay structure
    No respect from customers or business partners
    washing cars in nice clothers/suits
    Unfair promotions
    Unprofessional upper management
    Promotions that lead to less money
    You get blackballed for not taking opportunities that your manager recommends
    Customer service numbers determine your promotions but 70% of customers that rent cars from Enterprise are not happy that they have to rent the car (wrecked their car, dealership can't fix their car for the 10th time, we do not guarantee specific cars, etc)

Advice to Management

Pay your employees and they will work hard for you.

Showing 6,225 of 7,782 reviews