Enterprise Reviews | Glassdoor

6,425 reviews

US - All CitiesFull-timePart-time

6,425 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great training program, supportive upper management, All of management started at the bottom (in 385 reviews)

• You learn how to manage a business as far as costs/profit & customer service go (in 575 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance can be difficult to some individuals (in 1360 reviews)

• No work/life balance whatsoever (in 492 reviews)

1. "Terrible"

Former Employee - Manager in Boston, VA
    Former Employee - Manager in Boston, VA

Pros

Good 'stepping stone' for those out of college.

Cons

Political atmosphere. EXTREMELY draining work---no compensation...no motivation from Superiors.

Advice to Management

"The Enterprise Difference" claims that it is "Our Employees". Live up to that value...or ERAC will decline.

2. "Work harder/play less"

Current Employee - Branch Rental Manager in Farmington Hills, MI
    Current Employee - Branch Rental Manager in Farmington Hills, MI

Pros

Vacation-great if you get to a level 2 or higher and there are tons of days off-unfortunately you don't have the time to take them
    Benefits-good/cheap
    Car-discount to drive the vehicles home every day without having to replace the gas

Cons

Hours-work from 745am till 615pm Mon-Fri/845am-1230pm Sat-some people want to complain why we are not open later or on Sundays when they come in on Saturday at 1158am with no reservation
    You wear a suit to work to have to clean cars and get it messed up
    In the summer you are burning hot because you are in a full business suit and in the winter you are stepping in piles of snow to check people in cars
    The customers have no respect for you. They think we didn't go to school for 4+ years and it is ok to speak/curse to us in any manner. Most of our customers can barely keep a roof over their heads and they degrade us to make themselves feel better.

Advice to Management

If something is done wrong, they are quick to hand out a Memo. If something goes right, you don't get anything.

"IAH Position"

Current Employee - Management Trainee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Management Trainee in Houston, TX

Pros

Lots of opp to sell.
    Networking through customers to find a new job.
    Cool people.

Cons

Retail hours.
    Mundane work.
    Inhumane treatment.
    You really don't learn anything like the company promises.

Advice to Management

Make a schedule that doesn't require people to stay at work till 1am and come back in at 6am the next morning.

"NOT a place for professionals"

Former Employee - Management Trainee in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Management Trainee in Raleigh, NC

Pros

Keeps you busy if you hate being at home and do not enjoy social activities.

Cons

After you gain a hard earned 4 year degree, they train you to do anything in high heels and an expensive suit including wash a car, inflate tires and run through the rain. Visiting questionable areas of your city to pick up questionable people whom you are alone in the car with for up to 45 minutes. Company does not seem to value intelligence, instead appearing to promote those with the most criminal versatility/sociopathic tendencies.

Advice to Management

If Enterprise would continue to require 4 year degrees and call it's program "Management Training", I would suggest more appropriate ways of hiring including behavioral and IQ tests as well as more actual outside sales training rather then focusing on pushing insurance.

5. "They teach you how to be a better employee....for someone else"

Former Employee - Branch Manager in Arlington, TX
    Former Employee - Branch Manager in Arlington, TX

Pros

Enterprise gave me my first real dose of Corporate America. I was able to see office politics at it's best. It taught me the "game" I suppose.

Cons

If you are not fortunate enough to make the inner circle of your direct upper management then you will not succeed.

Advice to Management

The customer is not always right! Stop treating customers better than your employees. Customers lie to get what they want especially if they know they will get something free! If Enterprise put half as much into what they do for ESQI into their employees job satisfaction then they would have a much higher retention!

"What a waste of time..."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

Pros

The pay and that's only because we were grandfathered in. The funny thing is most people at corporate are so overpaid it's kind of silly.

Cons

Our senior manager said it best: "I want this job to be so simple I can get anyone of the street to do it". That's my job he's talking about. The growth possibilities in the company are impossible as cronyism runs rabid. The company culture concerns itself more with appearances rather than capabilities. If you smile and can jellybean (what they call small talk at the company) then you’re in. If you’re capable and willing then you can wait your turn. They told us during one of the HR seminars that they hired a consulting company to study company culture. The external consulting company came back with a simple result: your company is like a high school. The consulting company was let go. Enterprise prides itself of never firing anybody, they instead call it early retirement and I’ve seen 30 year olds retire. The funniest of all is the misguided concept of work-life balance. It’s absolutely inexistent. I can go on but you get the idea. Unless you are coming in at a top level of management I would stay clear.

Advice to Management

Take a look at yourself and make some changes to leave the 1950’s mentality. Better yet, hire a consulting company to help you with it. This company is so top heavy it will break. It runs like a pyramid scheme. Here’s another idea, how about you act on the pledge of diversity. Making a women CEO doesn’t come close to fulfilling the pledge when the very large majority of management is male and WASP. And last but not least start treating your lower level employees more like employees and less like indentured servants.

7. "Hard work, low pay."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Modesto, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Modesto, CA

Pros

The only pro is it's great experience to put on a resume.

Cons

Long hours, low pay, trashy customers.

Advice to Management

Leave

"Do NOT work here unless it is your only option. You will hate your life."

Former Employee - Management Trainee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Management Trainee in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Most of the people you will work with will be great. You will be with young, like-minded, similar colleagues. Some of my closest friendships began at Enterprise.

Cons

really long hours- as many as 60 hours/week, hourly pay, unruly clientele, bad managers, weekend work.

they have a required maximum for each employee of 49 hours a week. Very often they work you longer than that and remove your hours from the clock-in so that management looks like they are complying with HR's rules.

Advice to Management

I feel like there were some managers that did a great job at developing employees and then there were a few that seemed to play favorites. My advice would be to pretend that it is your career that you are advising when counseling an employee.

"Management Trainee for me"

Current Employee - Management Trainee in Chandler, AZ
    Current Employee - Management Trainee in Chandler, AZ

Pros

Opportunities for advancement, if you want to move up you can especially because of the crazy turnover, there are always positions available. A lot of hours, if you like to work a lot of hours, Enterprise is the place for you (work 49 to 50 hour weeks, so 98 hours a paycheck, which comes out to about $1000 a paycheck). Company functions, the company will pay for you to go out and drink as much as you can ever now and again (usually at least once every quarter). This is done to try to get you to forget about the misery of working there.

Cons

Low pay for working a lot of hours, washing cars in professional business attire, dealing with crazy customers.

Advice to Management

Treat employees better by valuing their input, better catering to their needs (especially pay).

"poor company to work for."

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Houston, TX

Pros

the people. the happy hours

Cons

The customers, cleaning cars while wearing a suit, upper management. The hours, the pay, sales, the stress is almost unbearable.

Advice to Management

The company is too negative towards its employees. Nothing is ever good enough. Your employees work hard for you, but you seem to lack basic respect for them. The stress caused by this job has made a number of employees seek medical help and medication.

Showing 6,425 of 8,066 reviews