Entertainment Cruises Reviews | Glassdoor

Entertainment Cruises Reviews

Updated Sep 16, 2019

Found 173 reviews

3.1
Entertainment Cruises CEO Kenneth Svendsen (no image)
Kenneth Svendsen
Pros
  • "This company provides an excellent work environment(in 16 reviews)

• "Give interns free tickets to enjoy the cruise which I gave to my parents(in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • "Creates for segregated working conditions -Low pay, majority of money made by tips -Management often treats subordinates with little respect(in 12 reviews)

• "you're basically a customer service rep and it can get kind of daunting being on the phone all day(in 8 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great Place to Develop!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Entertainment Cruises full-time for more than a year

Pros

Will hire with little to no experience but will develop you into the role. It is exciting to be a part of a growing organization that is constantly looking to improve and acquire new opportunities.

Cons

In many roles you sacrifice the salary for the culture - however, I think this is worth it. I'd rather work for a company with a culture I love with an average pay than work for a company I have no passion for with a higher pay.

Entertainment Cruises2019-01-03

Entertainment Cruises Response

February 25, 2019

Thank you for sharing your review of Entertainment Cruises. We take seriously our workplace experience and strive each day to foster an environment where Our Shared Services and Values are demonstrated consistently by all who work for our company!

2. "Amazing"

Current Employee - First Mate in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Entertainment Cruises part-time for more than a year

Pros

Great company. Long days in the sun great environment friends people

Cons

If you don't like working outside

Entertainment Cruises2019-07-03
  3. "Hire Process"

Current Employee - Deck Hand in New York, NY

I have been working at Entertainment Cruises part-time for less than a year

Pros

very efficient hire process

Cons

not enough knowledge about the job beforehand but they want to know everything about you

Entertainment Cruises2019-09-10
  4. "No server in their right mind would stay here"

Former Employee - Server in Chicago, IL

I worked at Entertainment Cruises full-time for less than a year

Pros

Free shift meals every cruise so if you work two cruises or three cruises you get three free meals. Beautiful view of the city because the boat is made of glass and is basically a floating green house.

Cons

Too many but I’ll keep it short sweet ant to the point or try to... . Pay is horrible. 14 bucks an hour with “potential to make tips”. I worked here a total of four days and that was enough to make me run to the hills. I only made tips on my third day of working here. It’s because food is pre paid and you only get tipped when people order drinks (that’s if they don’t have drink tickets if they do don’t expect jack)... I was only tipped on one cruise that I worked full of little old church ladies. I waited On about 22 of them and they all together left me a decent tip but you are expected to tip out your server assistants (who are useless for running anything besides coffee and soft drinks because most of them are high school kids and are not allowed to run alcoholic drinks) 25 percent of your tips and the bar 10. I made 66 dollars in tips that day after tip out. Sounds good but I had to work 10 am to 7:30 to get it. I made 200 bucks that day but real servers that get paid by tips only know that on average we can make that working 6 hours at a normal restaurant job on a Saturday night. You will be given 40 hours right off the bat because of the high turn over rate which equal to a low amount of servers . When I was at orientation every new hire was a server assistant (aka a busser/bread and water boy because we Servers are expected to clear dishes half the time) and that should have been my red flag. Most server assistants didn’t help out and just sat at the beverage station gossiping about other workers. The kitchen staff dudes are the most thirsty men I have ever had to work with at any restaurant ive ever been at. I’m convinced some of them were ex cons. They acted like they just got out of prison and had not been around women in years. Now on to management... the shift managers are all in their mid 20s and female. I looked up one of them on linkd in and found out her only jobs before this were being a assistant manager in a retail place and she had been a server on the boat for one year before she got promoted to a shift manager role. Again red flag! And other restaurant I’ve ever worked for has never promoted anyone that fast to a manger role. Why? Because they want people who know what they are doing!! This company is so desperate to fill important roles because they can’t get people with years experience to work here Because of the terrible pay and culture I’m sure. Managers appear to hate their jobs and it shows in the form of them taking out their anger on us. They talk to all the workers as if they were serfs. I didn’t appreciate this because I’m 30 years old and it’s pretty hard being talked down to let alone being talked down to my someone 6 years younger than me. Management made me wait on two 8 tops and two two tops and one six top on my 4th day because someone called out! I am still learning how to ring in wine and everything because the pos has them by brand not type so I still was learning the brands and having to use a cheat sheet to look them up. Having to take 26 orders for food and drink all at the same time when you don’t know anything about anything yet is very overwhelming. They give you cheat sheets but who has time to read through those to every guest?! Especially when we are on a time crunch. Oh and the breaks you get a are a joke. Your break you will get consists of eating standing up on the galley for as long as it takes you to eat. I understand it’s a boat and there is no place to sit but you need to set up your cruises farther apart so people can at least take a 30 min break before they have to start setting up again if they are working a double or triple shift. Don’t forget we are not robots! Also don’t event let me get started on how all the shift managers are women and act like they came straight out of the mean girls movie. If you are a pretty girl avoid this place all together cuz you will be bullied by jealous management.

Advice to Management

Please train new hires for longer than just three days. You don’t have a lot of servers on your boat and your shift managers are always either just hanging out in the galley talking to the kitchen staff or they are just hanging out in the stairwell expoing food. That means ya newbies have no one to ask for help!!! If you want to set people up for failure by all means keep doing what your doing. Most restaurants... have a five day training period. No the one Full fay of orientation does not count! All we learned there was the dress code rules and the way to set up tables. We learned nothing about the food or drinks or wine! You can’t just throw us intro water and expect us to learn how to swim. Especially if you have people who have never served before. Also stop making people shift managers after only having served for one year. Horrible idea. Actually pay more and hire people with years experience in managing in restaurants. The person in charge of this company seems to run the boat more like a tourist attraction than a restaurant. My suggestion? Stop serving food and just serve alcoholic beverages and have a bar only. You’ll prolly make more money that way then trying to provide a bourgeois dinner and brunch service for tourists and company parties. Just my opinion though. Alcohol sales food doesn’t so much anymore.

Entertainment Cruises2019-09-17
  5. "Lack of Communication"

Current Employee - Server in Boston, MA

I have been working at Entertainment Cruises part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Enjoy the people that work there, good team of coworkers

Cons

Huge lack of communication from office/sales team to restaurant managers to servers/SAs/bartenders

Entertainment Cruises2019-08-23
  6. "Good job for the summer"

Former Employee - Front of House Staff

I worked at Entertainment Cruises part-time

Pros

Hours are good in the summer Employees are friendly You get to sail on a boat every day and experience navy pier Discounts

Cons

Really busy and not enough staff sometimes

Entertainment Cruises2019-08-06
  7. "Great Job, Great People, Low pay"

Former Employee - Customer Service Agent

I worked at Entertainment Cruises part-time

Pros

Deals on cruises Opportunity to win incentives Company outings

Cons

Low Pay Few Hours not much overtime

Advice to Management

Find a way to incorporate full-time positions

Entertainment Cruises2019-07-17
  8. "Not a career job"

Current Employee - Bartender

I have been working at Entertainment Cruises part-time

Pros

Get paid enough by the hour

Cons

Depending on how slow or fast the season is your hours are based off that. No benefits

Entertainment Cruises2019-07-03

"Best only part time"

I have been working at Entertainment Cruises part-time for more than a year

Pros

Decent pay Overtime Can pick off days

Cons

disorganized Work you to death Poor management

Entertainment Cruises2019-06-02

"Stay Away from Seadog Chicago"

Former Employee - Docent in Chicago, IL

I worked at Entertainment Cruises part-time for less than a year

Pros

the tip money was rewarding

Cons

If you want to be treated with respect do not work here. I worked on navy pier last summer with Seadog as a deck hand and docent. I had no idea what I was signing up for, I did not expect 14 hour shifts without over time or sufficient breaks. I often gave five 75 minute tours with less than 10 minutes in between. I believe everyone at Seadog was overworked which created a hostile work environment, captains... belittled first mates, first mates belittled the deck hands. I have never seen such a bad case, of 'big fish in a small pond'. People were always chewing each other out, swearing at each other and treating each other without respect. Some captains were far worse than others, some captains have a history of this behavior and still work there. Captains will take advantage of their power to bully subordinates, often in front of boat loads of patrons. I have seen tour guides interrupted in the middle of tours by the captain, so that they can be chewed for saying the wrong thing. I have seen tour guides exit the boat shaking from a captain bullying session, and then soon later quit the job. We are tour guides, not soldiers. When docents and deck hands tried to unionize, we were threatened with losing benefits like tip money, or 'cleaning house'. I was not asked to work at Seadog this summer. Several employees were not asked to come back, some employees are now taking legal action.

Advice to Management

-Hire new captains -don't campaign against unions -8 hour work days

Entertainment Cruises2019-05-28